Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 gallon Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The advertised range is so off from real life.

When I actually breakdown the numbers, the real world range of my Tesla is equivalent to a ICE car (20mpg) with a 7-8 gallon tank.

My Car:
Miles
Advertised Range (90d) 294mi
100% range after battery degradation 254mi
Tesla recommends 80% charge only 203.2mi
Tesla recommends not going below 15% charge 172.72mi
Telsa usually gives 95% of advertised range, 300wh/mi 164.084mi

56% of advertised range.

It is true. If you choose not to use all of the available range, there will be less of it. I guess it's more like a 10-gallon tank that you never completely fill or drain.

When driven in conditions similar to those of the EPA test, I have easily gotten EPA range in all 6 of the Teslas I have owned.

The EPA test does not cover all real-world conditions, but that is why "YMMV" is a thing. EPA range is a relative comparison tool, not an absolute prediction tool for all cases, which typically (with ICE too) vary by nearly an order of magnitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: IdaX and Rocky_H
So what is interesting is my 2019 VW egolf has a range of 125 miles, and it has a 2kw buffer so you can charge to 100%

When I charge to 100%, the car states I get 151 miles of range. My real world driving down to 5% gives me 140+ miles.

With this is said my 125mile range VW is within 15% of the model S. Similarly people have been reporting getting 280 miles in the Taycan. It feels like Tesla overpromises under delivers in range quite often. Not sure if Model 3 delivers more accurate accurate range.

So what is interesting is my 2019 VW egolf has a range of 125 miles, and it has a 2kw buffer so you can charge to 100%

When I charge to 100%, the car states I get 151 miles of range. My real world driving down to 5% gives me 140+ miles.

With this is said my 125mile range VW is within 15% of the model S. Similarly people have been reporting getting 280 miles in the Taycan. It feels like Tesla overpromises under delivers in range quite often. Not sure if Model 3 delivers more accurate accurate range.

fuzzy math all day. my 2019 car with no battery degradation yet from 100%-0% vs my old car that i am only calculating 95% of the 15-80% battery capacity is 15% almost the same.

Read the details...VW does not keep you bound between 20-80%

Being a long time EV owner, with multiple EVs, I stand by my statement that Tesla over advertises under delivers.

I am long the stock and will likely buy another Tesla, but facts are facts.

I've owned two Tesla's, and neither one got range range.

The 70D I had was closer to rated range, and I didn't complain too much. It at least theoretically was possible to get close to the rated range.

The P3D I have now isn't anywhere close in real world situations. Over time Tesla has adjusted it so its a bit more accurate now, but abetterrouteplanner is a much better indicator of real world range. It's roughly 250 miles.

I don't necessary blame Tesla for this. I blame the EPA for not having a stringent method that factors in all the variables.

Porsche is way more conservative, but I'd argue they're too conservative. Where it's not an accurate assessment either.

With Tesla everything has to be perfect to reach rated range, and with Porsche everything has to be bad to only get rated range.

Tesla isn't the worst when it comes to spec'ing range. That would go to Boosted Boards which spec'd a range for their scooter using a midget going 6mph without stopping. Sure it says up to, but real world range is like half for a normal sized person going normal speeds (12-15mph). The funny thing is their a glitch with the odometer which adds more than double the miles you actually went so it makes it appear like you're getting awesome efficiency.

Where does Tesla? You're making this up.

I can't speak to VW, but with Tesla its really up to the consumer how they want to treat the battery.

If you care about extending the life of your battery its best not to charge it more than 90% on a regular basis, and it's best not to let it drop under 10% on a regular basis. You should however do occasional (like once a month or once every couple months) full charges. Just make sure not to stay above 90% for very long.

I use 10% on both sides because of numerous things I've read. I've never seen the 80% figure, and why would it be when it's 90% in the car? 80% is people that are being ultra conservative, but likely won't translate in that much better battery longevity.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Where did you come across these "recommendations"?
I've owned two Tesla's, and neither one got range range.

The 70D I had was closer to rated range, and I didn't complain too much. It at least theoretically was possible to get close to the rated range.

The P3D I have now isn't anywhere close in real world situations. Over time Tesla has adjusted it so its a bit more accurate now, but abetterrouteplanner is a much better indicator of real world range. It's roughly 250 miles.

I don't necessary blame Tesla for this. I blame the EPA for not having a stringent method that factors in all the variables.

Porsche is way more conservative, but I'd argue they're too conservative. Where it's not an accurate assessment either.

With Tesla everything has to be perfect to reach rated range, and with Porsche everything has to be bad to only get rated range.

Tesla isn't the worst when it comes to spec'ing range. That would go to Boosted Boards which spec'd a range for their scooter using a midget going 6mph without stopping. Sure it says up to, but real world range is like half for a normal sized person going normal speeds (12-15mph). The funny thing is their a glitch with the odometer which adds more than double the miles you actually went so it makes it appear like you're getting awesome efficiency.

I seriously think Tesla has some buddies at the EPA. Would really like to see 390 miles on the new Raven S with the M3 front motor.
Does anyone with a newer MS see 370-390 miles, driving in 1 long stretch on flat roads with 60 degree weather, and keepting it under 65 mpg, not running heat or AC, only carrying 1 passenger. And that 1 passenger cant weigh for than 175 lbs?

I stand by my statement Tesla over promises and under delivers on range, and actually on acceleration

Reactions: Rocky_H and beatle

When I actually breakdown the numbers, the real world range of my Tesla is equivalent to a ICE car (20mpg) with a 7-8 gallon tank.

My Car:
Miles

56% of advertised range.

The recommendations are for best battery life and are related to _frequent_ charging patterns.

On a long trip you should ideally start by charging to 100% and then drive down to 10%, or even a bit below that, at the first Supercharger as you get the best charging rate at that point.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

My Car:
Miles

56% of advertised range.

That doesn’t even factor in when it could get as bad as another 50% hit on top due to extreme cold ( like under 10F, or rain). And some folks actually buy SR cars in cold climates.

Reactions: evalst2018
The recommendations are for best battery life and are related to _frequent_ charging patterns.

On a long trip you should ideally start by charging to 100% and then drive down to 10%, or even a bit below that, at the first Supercharger as you get the best charging rate at that point.

I’d never go below 10%, especially when it’s dangerously cold out. You could get stuck traffic, have a detour, SC full or broken.

I use 10% on both sides because of numerous things I've read. I've never seen the 80% figure,
Elon Musk and world renowned battery expert Jeff Dahn, who now works for Tesla, have both recommended numbers like 70% and 80%.

and why would it be when it's 90% in the car?
It's not. Why do people keep repeating this? Have you looked at the charge limit slider in any Tesla vehicle at all? It's not just one push button selection only at 90%. That wouldn't even make any sense, since they recommend against 91% or higher! 90% can't be "best" when 91% is "bad". The recommended "Daily" charging level that people get to set is a large area from 50% to 90%, and people get to choose how far within that area they want for their regular constant daily limit. It is a large range to choose from for this very reason: every person needs to make a choice to balance what is best for the long term health of the battery, which would be closer to 50%, versus their own practical needs for range in using the car, which probably would be more miles and might need to go up more to the 70 or 80% or more levels. You evaluate the balance of those factors for your own situation.

80% is people that are being ultra conservative, but likely won't translate in that much better battery longevity.
Tons of data from battery studies disagrees with your opinion. There is very well known correlation of long term battery health with the farther you stay away from the upper end. Yes, 80% is better than 90% and 70% is better than 80%. But it's not straight linear. You do get the biggest bang for the buck with the first steps away from the edge, and then the benefit decreases as you continue farther away.

But it's not straight linear. You do get the biggest bang for the buck with the first steps away from the edge, and then the benefit decreases as you continue farther away.

The entire point to what I wrote is that it's not linear. It's not that 91% is really bad, and 90% isn't. It's that Tesla has 90% as the highest amount recommended for daily use.

This is what Elon tweeted
Elon Musk on Twitter

If I was super anal about it I'd probably use 80% where I plugged in every night. But, I'm not so I use 90%. I also don't plug in every night so the average state of charge is likely around 60% or maybe less. People that plug in every night are probably better off with 70-80% as their charge limit (to have a lower average state of charge), but I don't. I don't because I have to move cars around every time I put the Tesla in the garage. On average I go from 90% to 20%, and then charge back up using my HPWC. Where I typically plug it in once a week.

The main thing I don't do is to let it get really low (below 10%) except extremely occasionally. I also don't leave it close to 100% for very long. Like charging to 100% occasionally isn't bad for the battery as long as it's not allowed to sit there more than a few hours (or so).

I think people tend to get way too wrapped up in obsessing over the battery like it was a delicate little flower. To get 95% of the way you just have to follow a couple of rules. Sure if you want to go 99% of the way then be super obsessed with it.

If one wants to be super obsessed they can read the following thread (with lots of info). I've read lots of these threads, and for me the way I do it works for me. What other people to do is up to them. One of the neat things about having a Tesla is it allows you to decide for yourself, and not dictated to you by the manufacture.
Jeff Dahn's recommendation on long term battery preservation

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
If I was super anal about it I'd probably use 80% where I plugged in every night. But, I'm not so I use 90%. [...] If one wants to be super obsessed they can read the following thread (with lots of info). I've read lots of these threads, and for me the way I do it works for me. What other people to do is up to them. One of the neat things about having a Tesla is it allows you to decide for yourself, and not dictated to you by the manufacture.
You're being really judgmental and kind of insulting here. Choosing something lower than 90% does not have to mean "super anal" or "super obsessed". Tone it down. I think this is a pretty relaxed perspective to just point out how the area the car shows you is from 50% to 90%. Toward the middle is better, but go as high as you need to to comfortably use the car. Done. Easy peasy and not super "anal" or "obsessed".

You're being really judgmental and kind of insulting here. Choosing something lower than 90% does not have to mean "super anal" or "super obsessed". Tone it down. I think this is a pretty relaxed perspective to just point out how the area the car shows you is from 50% to 90%. Toward the middle is better, but go as high as you need to to comfortably use the car. Done. Easy peasy and not super "anal" or "obsessed".

This is getting into hair splitting over semantics, but the real issue here is that the OP's claim that Tesla "recommends" you don't use the top or bottom 20% of the battery is completely fabricated and being used to make their car's usable range look much worse than it really is.

• Disagree
Reactions: evalst2018
I charge to 11

volume-11-1520x1024.jpg