Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In FL. Ordered 1/8/2021. Seven seater, white, white interior, long range with towing. Estimated delivery start changing but always ending 2/12/2021. Spoke with a SA at a different dealership who indicated soft factory date is 3/2 with a delivery of 3/18. A little disappointing.

I took the weekend off from the forums and my f5 button. Logged on this morning and my estimated delivery date change from the current day - February 12 to February 17 - March 9, which is right in line with the 2-6 weeks stated on their website since I ordered on 2/1/21. I saw a bunch of other updated to this time range as well... I checked the spreadsheet and it looks like only one or two 7 seaters have been assigned VINs. Also saw that someone with Performance got the new headlights! Very cool stuff happening, here's hoping we all get the new goodies and don't get our dates extended anymore!

I took the weekend off from the forums and my f5 button. Logged on this morning and my estimated delivery date change from the current day - February 12 to February 17 - March 9, which is right in line with the 2-6 weeks stated on their website since I ordered on 2/1/21. I saw a bunch of other updated to this time range as well... I checked the spreadsheet and it looks like only one or two 7 seaters have been assigned VINs. Also saw that someone with Performance got the new headlights! Very cool stuff happening, here's hoping we all get the new goodies and don't get our dates extended anymore!
Oh right... I need to complete that spreadsheet.

I have a VIN, confirmed delivery date, and everything ready to go... just waiting on Saturday.

Does anyone know if there is a buying guide for newbs on here somewhere. Just a brief right up of how things are supposed to work or the order they are supposed to happen in?
Buy car
Get assigned an SA
Get assigned an estimated delivery date range
Get assigned a VIN
VIN provides 'target factory gate day'
When their 'soft match tool' is useful and how you can use it if your SA is MIA..
I am not sure what the target factory gate day or the soft match tool are. It seems like some SA's are awesome and use these tools for their customers and other SA's dont know what they are.

Maybe there is a sticky or something somewhere, I have picked up bits and pieces looking all over the forums and thought it would be nice to piece this together and help some people (including myself) out that dont understand the process...

Does anyone know if there is a buying guide for newbs on here somewhere. Just a brief right up of how things are supposed to work or the order they are supposed to happen in?
Buy car
Get assigned an SA
Get assigned an estimated delivery date range
Get assigned a VIN
VIN provides 'target factory gate day'
When their 'soft match tool' is useful and how you can use it if your SA is MIA..
I am not sure what the target factory gate day or the soft match tool are. It seems like some SA's are awesome and use these tools for their customers and other SA's dont know what they are.

Maybe there is a sticky or something somewhere, I have picked up bits and pieces looking all over the forums and thought it would be nice to piece this together and help some people (including myself) out that dont understand the process...
  1. Place order
  2. Get assigned SA
  3. Get assigned an ETA range (I don't know about this...I didn't get one until I got a VIN. I think this might happen automatically after you order now that the 7 seater is in production).
  4. VIN assigned
  5. Make final payment and provide proof of insurance
  6. Schedule delivery date
  7. Pick up car
The target factory gate date is using their internal tooling. You have to ask for that but even then...I think it's a "target date". Can't speak for the soft match tool either...that's all "behind the scenes" stuff.

1. Place order
  2. Get assigned SA
  3. Get assigned an ETA range (I don't know about this...I didn't get one until I got a VIN. I think this might happen automatically after you order now that the 7 seater is in production).
  4. VIN assigned
  5. Make final payment and provide proof of insurance
  6. Schedule delivery date
  7. Pick up car
The target factory gate date is using their internal tooling. You have to ask for that but even then...I think it's a "target date". Can't speak for the soft match tool either...that's all "behind the scenes" stuff.

Thanks, Ryan!

In FL. Ordered 1/8/2021. Seven seater, white, white interior, long range with towing. Estimated delivery start changing but always ending 2/12/2021. Spoke with a SA at a different dealership who indicated soft factory date is 3/2 with a delivery of 3/18. A little disappointing.

Ordered the same date as you, but in CA. Estimated date is still ending 2/12 but no VIN yet. Seems unlikely I'll take delivery by this Friday. My soft factory date is 2/24.

Anyone holding out for a 7 seater stealth performance? I know the P is not officially available with 7 seater, but it's to do with the suspension, brakes and wheels... So stealth should be structured like a long range
Nope. Considering they dropped the stealth performance to streamline production, I’d say holding out for a stealth performance 7 seater is a stretch at best.

Maybe it’ll happen. Probably it won’t. Don’t waste your time waiting for a unicorn.

Tesla (with my SA Cc'd) sent out email invites for a Tesla owner's Club Zoom meeting to get acquainted with the Model Y. I ordered Jan 7 and have delivery estimate Feb 8 - Feb 22. Nice to see some movement, I guess that means something is happening on their end. Woo

This sounds very Canadian. Apparently, getting in line 2 years ago and throwing our money at Tesla isn't enough in the US for fancy elite club status. :rolleyes:

We are in KC - SR/MSM/Black interior/7 Seat ordered 1/12/21, estimated delivery today (2/9) to 2/16 - our SA said to expect a VIN by the end of this week, which he said would mean it has left the factory. I hope that's true but trying not to get hopes up.

Someone on the Tesla forums said that 7 seater production has been delayed for 9 days...

"On February 2 the sales rep called me and said that production on the 7 seater was delayed 9 days and to expect a VIN after that date. He mentioned that 5 seaters were not affected by the delay." (7 seater deliveries, anyone? - Page 2)

Pure speculation, but I wonder if this is due to updates on the line for HEPA? New console switchover likely included too, though that should be relatively basic as it (and the door time if that was also updated) ostensibly fit just like the old parts did. But the HEPA and HVAC changes are a little more extensive, so they might be making that change to US Y now and while they're at it, maybe tweaking some aspects of the 2nd/3rd row for the 7 seaters?

Then again, if there isn't any delay for the 5 seater, that kinda kills the HEPA hypothesis.