Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pure speculation, but I wonder if this is due to updates on the line for HEPA? New console switchover likely included too, though that should be relatively basic as it (and the door time if that was also updated) ostensibly fit just like the old parts did. But the HEPA and HVAC changes are a little more extensive, so they might be making that change to US Y now and while they're at it, maybe tweaking some aspects of the 2nd/3rd row for the 7 seaters?

Then again, if there isn't any delay for the 5 seater, that kinda kills the HEPA hypothesis.
Yeah I think that’s optimistic speculation. but I hope you are right :)
IMO- A delay of a few weeks weeks to produce, distribute, deliver etc is totally within noise levels of a new configuration launch... imo.

The delivery window bounced again (delayed) on my order. Now it's February 20 - March 12 (from February 15 - March 07). I am sort of hoping the fact things are changing means that Tesla actually has some expectation for when the vehicle would be manufactured, and they keep adjusting based on that.

FWIW, the dates now sort of reflect what my SA told me on Jan 31st:
Our current delivery projection is showing delivery in 2-6 weeks with our 7 seat option most likely towards the latter half of this timeline with a possibility of a quicker arrival.

Reactions: Axeman
The delivery window bounced again (delayed) on my order. Now it's February 20 - March 12 (from February 15 - March 07). I am sort of hoping the fact things are changing means that Tesla actually has some expectation for when the vehicle would be manufactured, and they keep adjusting based on that.

FWIW, the dates now sort of reflect what my SA told me on Jan 31st:
Our current delivery projection is showing delivery in 2-6 weeks with our 7 seat option most likely towards the latter half of this timeline with a possibility of a quicker arrival.

I ordered on 1-13 and my delivery date has not changed from 2-24. It is interesting to at least see that someone is paying attention to your delivery. I wish you a speedy delivery!

I wonder if I will get a VIN. I actually ordered the MY in October 2020, in order to reserve the FSD price and then keep rejecting matches until the 7 seat option was available.

Tesla texted me in December 2020 that my car would be ready for pickup in 5 days, no VIN. Wondering if in Canada that's how it works, since in BC you get insurance on the spot when you pick up the car, you can't get insurance in advance. So... you aren't actually assigned a vin.

I'm expecting they'll ping me any day now with a delivery date. Fingers crossed.

Who knows if that's how it really works, but it's how I've seen it work personally haha.

Interesting, so you can keep ordering and cancelling until you get the version you want, and they have no problem with this? I had no idea!
Well, basically order, and then reject a VIN when it pops up. Then add the feature you want when it's available.
Tesla told me I could do that, or my SA did after I went in for a test drive.
So, I "ordered" a 5 seater Oct 23, 2020, had a VIN for said 5 seater on Dec 9 or so, declined it, Tesla told me "they would unmatch me" and then I modified my order with the 7 seat option the nanosecond it was available on Jan 7. So far, Estimated delivery time is Feb 10 (today, date keeps rolling) - Feb 22. Who knows though. Definitely sounds like different experiences in different locations.

I spoke to a service advisor at length yesterday re: completing my profile. I found out the following interesting things:
  1. "Completed" profiles, car order, insurance, AND payment information must be complete;
    1. I explained that I was intending to use a self-arranged loan, but was looking for a VIN # first;
    2. My self-arranged loan (already had an approval) was only valid for 30 days - I didn't complete because I assumed that they wouldn't be able to deliver a car in 30 days from the date of my delivery (1.23.2020);
    3. The advisor offered a Tesla Arranged rate match (2.29%) and advised that the Wells Fargo loan through Tesla is good for 60 days;
  2. The advisor made it clear that someone with all their boxes checked will get priority for car match over anyone without;
  3. The advisor stated that it was likely that they would get most of the cars (including mine) late March. He stated this was consistent with prior years and he had worked at Tesla for 3 years. I'm unsure why this would specifically matter;
  4. My pick up location would be in Southern California;
For now, my delivery date window early date continues to roll each day, presently showing 2.10.2021 - 3.6.2021. Details as follows:

MY 7 Seat,
Blue
19" Wheels
Black Interior
Autopilot
Long Range

thanks for the info, I'm also in Southern CA with a 1/8/21 order date. The most surprising part about your post is the advisor being able to offer you a Tesla Arranged rate. Did you go with this option and what was the process? I'm already 30 days out from my initial Tesla approved loan but if I can lock a better rate + extend for 60 days, that would be ideal. I didn't know the advisors had the ability to do it...

I spoke to a service advisor at length yesterday re: completing my profile. I found out the following interesting things:
  1. "Completed" profiles, car order, insurance, AND payment information must be complete;
    1. I explained that I was intending to use a self-arranged loan, but was looking for a VIN # first;
    2. My self-arranged loan (already had an approval) was only valid for 30 days - I didn't complete because I assumed that they wouldn't be able to deliver a car in 30 days from the date of my delivery (1.23.2020);
    3. The advisor offered a Tesla Arranged rate match (2.29%) and advised that the Wells Fargo loan through Tesla is good for 60 days;
  2. The advisor made it clear that someone with all their boxes checked will get priority for car match over anyone without;
  3. The advisor stated that it was likely that they would get most of the cars (including mine) late March. He stated this was consistent with prior years and he had worked at Tesla for 3 years. I'm unsure why this would specifically matter;
For now, my delivery date window early date continues to roll each day, presently showing 2.10.2021 - 3.6.2021. Details as follows:

MY 7 Seat,
Blue
19" Wheels
Black Interior
Autopilot
Long Range

MY 7 Seat,
Blue
19" Wheels
Black Interior
Autopilot
Long Range

I wonder if the fact that I haven’t completed all the step is one of the reasons I do not have a VIN assigned yet. I’m missing the insurance step because I’m waiting for a VIN to estimate the insurance with Tesla.
I’m in Northern California less than 2 hours away from plant. Anyone else in the same situation?
It feels like a chicken/egg situation.

MY / LR AWD / 7 Seater / White / Black Interior / 20” Wheels / FSD
No VIN / No estimated delivery date
Ordered 3/17/2019

I wonder if the fact that I haven’t completed all the step is one of the reasons I do not have a VIN assigned yet. I’m missing the insurance step because I’m waiting for a VIN to estimate the insurance with Tesla.
I’m in Northern California less than 2 hours away from plant. Anyone else in the same situation?

Ordered 3/17/2019

Someone suggested to use your current insurance with your current vehicle VIN and update the VIN later do you can complete this phase. You can also ask your SA. I think the important part is that you current have insurance and can insure the new vehicle. Best wishes.

Ordered 3/17/2019

In CA, you can put in your current insurance card and get a quote for Tesla insurance once you have a VIN. I'm at the same stage in the process. I got assigned and contacted by an SA today whom confirmed that I have everything filled out and ready to go and will update me when she gets more info.