Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery. It is excellent. The kids actually liked the way back; no complaints from the 9, 11, or 13 year old, the eldest of which is tall for his age.

Panel alignment looked perfect to me. Only thing that might require service: the charging port cover sticks out a little bit. Other than that, panel gaps, other stuff looked flawless.
Man, what a great color combo..... Congrats!

Reactions: acacia
Hey guys, Let's keep updating our Order Status, Estimated Delivery date etc. in the Google Form/Sheet. that will give rest of us an idea about how the 7 seater deliveries are progressing:

Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker
Just a note that Troy pointed out in another thread that there is no 'Estimated' Delivery Date in the SS, just 'Delivery Date', which is intended to be the actual date.

Reactions: Neo_TheOne
Took delivery. It is excellent. The kids actually liked the way back; no complaints from the 9, 11, or 13 year old, the eldest of which is tall for his age.

Panel alignment looked perfect to me. Only thing that might require service: the charging port cover sticks out a little bit. Other than that, panel gaps, other stuff looked flawless.
Congrats Man. Thanks for sharing the pics and the Kid's perspective. I have a Toddler and can see her using the far back seat when we have more than 5 passengers in the car.

1) Do you think it is safe for kids back there? I always see a debate about whether the 3rd row is safe even for kids? I can see my toddler using a front facing car seat which can be secured using the seat belt, and then a booster seat in couple of years.
2) Also can you please verify my understanding that the 3rd row can be used only for kids or small adults who are less than 5'4" of height without having the risk of bumping their head on the glass top when the road is not so smooth.

Congrats Man. Thanks for sharing the pics and the Kid's perspective. I have a Toddler and can see her using the far back seat when we have more than 5 passengers in the car.

1) Do you think it is safe for kids back there? I always see a debate about whether the 3rd row is safe even for kids? I can see my toddler using a front facing car seat which can be secured using the seat belt, and then a booster seat in couple of years.
2) Also can you please verify my understanding that the 3rd row can be used only for kids or small adults who are less than 5'4" of height without having the risk of bumping their head on the glass top when the road is not so smooth.
I am a software engineer, not an automotive engineer, so my opinions are that of a novice.
1.) I grabbed the tape measure and I see the side arm rests measure 41" across. The Y is roughly 6' (72") across at that point, and the motor and axles are underneath the passengers at that point. So that's 31" total, 31"/2 or 15.5" of crush space on each of the sides. The space to the rear bumper isn't huge, but it seems reasonable; it is less than my Honda Odyssey minivan. A previous version of that minivan was rear ended on a highway and didn't crush in. Given the side and rear cushion, in my estimation, this is safe. I would, however, like it better if there were a side curtain airbag for the rear passengers, and if they extended the bumper out a few inches for 7 seat versions. I don't know if the 7 seater side curtain airbag extends that far.
Net-net, if the kid is in a front facing seat i think he/she would be safe.

2.) My 13 year old is 5' 3.75". (I just measured). He's fine back there but we haven't hit bumpy roads. I'm thinking that the 9 and 11 year olds will be more comfortable, irrespective of that. 13 is pushing the edge of sitting in the way-back. I think of this as an occasional use seat anyway.

If you are anything like me, your kids are at least a couple years apart. The reason the 3rd row Y makes sense for my situation is that my kids are 15,13,11, and 9, and I can count on the way-back working for at least one of them for another 4 years, and the oldest will be out of the house and in college in 2.5 years. It's also the case that we have a minivan (that I DO NOT expect to get rid of anytime soon) that we use for hauling everyone. My Y is for when we are hauling <6, contingency, or short range trips with everyone. I don't expect it to replace the minivan for long trips; my wife is too impatient to stop every 2 hours for charging and there isn't enough space.

The thing is, 99% of our car miles are with less than 6 people in the car at once. So it replaces the minivan for all those trips. Soccer, swim practice, dance, horseback riding, girl scouts, school drop-offs, grocery are all done with 3 people or less. Even ski trips with me and the 3 boys. For the 1% of the time we need room for everyone, or hauling something big, we will use the minivan. Could it work for that 1%? Maybe, but I know my wife wouldn't tolerate it. We could do day trips with it. But if I rewound to when we had 4 kids 0,2,4,and 6, I wouldn't try to replace the minivan with it. Buy a minivan.

HTH!

Last edited:
I am a software engineer, not an automotive engineer, so my opinions are that of a novice.
1.) I grabbed the tape measure and I see the side arm rests measure 41" across. The Y is roughly 6' (72") across at that point, and the motor and axles are underneath the passengers at that point. So that's 31" total, 31"/2 or 15.5" of crush space on each of the sides. The space to the rear bumper isn't huge, but it seems reasonable; it is less than my Honda Odyssey minivan. A previous version of that minivan was rear ended on a highway and didn't crush in. Given the side and rear cushion, in my estimation, this is safe. I would, however, like it better if there were a side curtain airbag for the rear passengers, and if they extended the bumper out a few inches for 7 seat versions. I don't know if the 7 seater side curtain airbag extends that far.
Net-net, if the kid is in a front facing seat i think he/she would be safe.

2.) My 13 year old is 5' 3.75". (I just measured). He's fine back there but we haven't hit bumpy roads. I'm thinking that the 9 and 11 year olds will be more comfortable, irrespective of that. 13 is pushing the edge of sitting in the way-back. I think of this as an occasional use seat anyway.

If you are anything like me, your kids are at least a couple years apart. The reason the 3rd row Y makes sense for my situation is that my kids are 15,13,11, and 9, and I can count on the way-back working for at least one of them for another 4 years, and the oldest will be out of the house and in college in 2.5 years. It's also the case that we have a minivan (that I DO NOT expect to get rid of anytime soon) that we use for hauling everyone. My Y is for when we are hauling <6, contingency, or short range trips with everyone. I don't expect it to replace the minivan for long trips; my wife is too impatient to stop every 2 hours for charging and there isn't enough space.

The thing is, 99% of our car miles are with less than 6 people in the car at once. So it replaces the minivan for all those trips. Soccer, swim practice, dance, horseback riding, girl scouts, school drop-offs, grocery are all done with 3 people or less. Even ski trips with me and the 3 boys. For the 1% of the time we need room for everyone, or hauling something big, we will use the minivan. Could it work for that 1%? Maybe, but I know my wife wouldn't tolerate it. We could do day trips with it. But if I rewound to when we had 4 kids 0,2,4,and 6, I wouldn't try to replace the minivan with it. Buy a minivan.

HTH!
Thanks for the detailed views. If your 13 YO is doing fine back there, then I think my daughter can use it for the next 7 years, when needed. I am buying this as my only car for a family of 3 as of now. would be using the 3rd row only occasionally when any friends or extended family come over (and do not rent their own car), which would happen, at an average, once a year for less than a month at a time. Remaining 11 months a year, I can see the 3rd row folded and 2nd row pushed all the way back.

Thanks for the detailed views. If your 13 YO is doing fine back there, then I think my daughter can use it for the next 7 years, when needed. I am buying this as my only car for a family of 3 as of now. would be using the 3rd row only occasionally when any friends or extended family come over (and do not rent their own car), which would happen, at an average, once a year for less than a month at a time. Remaining 11 months a year, I can see the 3rd row folded and 2nd row pushed all the way back.
Perfect. I think you will be very happy with it and like the additional flexibility!

Reactions: EchoDelta
I received a call from Tesla yesterday that the 7-seat version of the Model Y was now available for order and did I want to order. I mentioned I was going to wait to see where the tax break legislation falls before buying. But, what is weird is that I had an email when I got home that said I have a Model Y test drive on Tuesday, 2/16/21. I did not request a test drive. I wonder if there is any chance it is a 7 seat version? I doubt if it will happen because I doubt if the snow in Texas will melt well enough by then, but we will see.

In the 7-seater tracker (that is, the main spreadsheet when you view only the 7-seater orders), we're now at 14 of 88 who have been provided with a VIN. It's a combination of 2019/2020 orders plus Jan 2021 orders up to about 14 Jan or so, with a few outliers (including the 6 Feb order).

I don't know what % of folks who filled in the tracker update it when they take delivery or get a VIN so it's not possible to place a huge amount of faith in it, but it's something to dream about / think about!

• Love
Reactions: ellistev
One more data point- I’m local to Fremont and ordered 3/‘19. I got my vin yesterday (xxx112575) and probably could have picked up this week. It’s white with black interior, 19” wheels, with tow. Someone else will get it I suppose.

I decided to postpone for several reasons, but the $7k pending FTC is a big one.

As an investor, I worry q1 could be tricky for US demand (not orders but actual deliveries) unless the feds act quickly on the green act, which I doubt.

maybe they can ship cars internationally but then free cash flow is affected.

Reactions: Langzaiguy
My estimated date has come and passed. Now I have no dates in my profile at all. Has anyone experienced this? If so, did they update it eventually? I know the dates don’t mean much but without one I feel invisible.

My estimated delivery date have appeared and disappeared multiple times. I don’t know what is the logic behind when it shows one and when it doesn’t. I think it’s mostly a sign that I’ve been checking for my VIN way too often.

My estimated date has come and passed. Now I have no dates in my profile at all. Has anyone experienced this? If so, did they update it eventually? I know the dates don’t mean much but without one I feel invisible.[/QUOTE

I’ve seen several posts that state they received a VIN shortly after their projected dates disappeared.
Hopefully that’s good news for you!