Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope next week there's a flood of vins for everyone. Next month is the end of the quarter, that's when tesla makes their push to fill orders. So I think all of the January and February orders will be filled, or I hope they will. I ordered 1/13 and still don't have a vin. I guess living in California didn't make as much of a difference as I thought.

That's usually what happens near the end of each quarter. I remember it well just a year ago when I went through this with my Model 3 order (ordered on 2/18, got VIN on 3/10, scheduled for delivery the week of 3/23, but then the Tesla factory shutdown and that screwed everything up).

Point being, if you've placed your order now or recently, or even in the next couple of weeks, there's an extremely high chance that you will get your car delivered to you by 3/31. I actually had to cancel my order last year since there was no way it would get built & delivered on time when the factory shutdown, so I placed a new order on 3/29 from existing inventory, and my Model 3 order was fast-tracked and eventually delivered on 3/31 at 8:30pm (home delivery) since Tesla really wants to finalize sales before April 1. They will push hard to make sure they fill your order and get the car delivered to you before the end of March.

Also, CA is usually the last state to get cars delivered to local dealers at the end of each quarter. I've been following this trend for a few years now, so if you live in CA then don't be surprised to get your VIN in mid/late March, and ultimately get your car delivered near the end of the month.

I have been out of town and also took a vacation from the forums ;) Congrats to all of you who have received a VIN! Some of the VIN's seem high, hoping you get all the goodies that are coming out! I placed my order on 2/1/21 and had an ETA of ETA: 2/17/21 - 3/9/21, then 2/10 it went 2/10 to 2/12, once 2/12 came around, it removed the ETA and has been empty since. Seems only fair that people who ordered back in 2019!!!!! get theirs first! Whoever said they are going to try and cram these down our throats by 3/31 is probably correct, so worst case for all of us who have order will probably be a little shy of a month and a half. For anyone looking at floor mats, there is another thread I am following and they just introduced preorders for the 7 seater, delivery for those is expected later next month. I rolled the dice, hope they are nice, they are cheaper than most others, but start-ups usually have some quality products.

Congrats! Still waiting for a vin with my December 2019 reservation. No ETA even. Did your account have an ETA posted before the vin?

I’m in the exact same boat as you! Ordered in mid 2019, no VIN, no ETA and my SA has been MIA through the whole entire process basically. Such a disappointing experience thus far. My experience getting my model 3 was much better in 2019.

Reactions: Jemblue7my
I’m in the exact same boat as you! Ordered in mid 2019, no VIN, no ETA and my SA has been MIA through the whole entire process basically. Such a disappointing experience thus far. My experience getting my model 3 was much better in 2019.
Congrats! Still waiting for a vin with my December 2019 reservation. No ETA even. Did your account have an ETA posted before the vin?

I have had many estimated delivery date. Originally it was 1/30 - 2/15, then it was rolling today-2/15. Then it disappeared for a few days before coming back to 2/17-3/1, and the night before it was 2/17-3/2. By the end of it I didn't really trust the estimated delivery date other than as a broad sense that I should get the car before the end of the month.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jemblue7my
Should be in my sig if you are logged it, but if you aren't then the sigs aren't visible I think. Anyways for ppl that aren't logged in

Reserved 3/14/19: Model Y | LR AWD | White Exterior | Gemini Wheels | No Tow | White Interior | 7-Seater | FSD | Southern California | VIN 131xx | Delivery Date: 2/20/21

Sigs are also not visible if you are viewing on mobile, even if logged in.

Reactions: Axeman
That's usually what happens near the end of each quarter. I remember it well just a year ago when I went through this with my Model 3 order (ordered on 2/18, got VIN on 3/10, scheduled for delivery the week of 3/23, but then the Tesla factory shutdown and that screwed everything up).

Point being, if you've placed your order now or recently, or even in the next couple of weeks, there's an extremely high chance that you will get your car delivered to you by 3/31. I actually had to cancel my order last year since there was no way it would get built & delivered on time when the factory shutdown, so I placed a new order on 3/29 from existing inventory, and my Model 3 order was fast-tracked and eventually delivered on 3/31 at 8:30pm (home delivery) since Tesla really wants to finalize sales before April 1. They will push hard to make sure they fill your order and get the car delivered to you before the end of March.

Also, CA is usually the last state to get cars delivered to local dealers at the end of each quarter. I've been following this trend for a few years now, so if you live in CA then don't be surprised to get your VIN in mid/late March, and ultimately get your car delivered near the end of the month.
The time frame and trend you mentioned consistent with what the service adviser I spoke to stated for Southern California (similar to a prior post I made). He said that he has been working at the Telsa Service center for three years and never fails, they get a large number of orders filled at the end of March. He didn't give a reason, but being able to book the revenue before quarter end for a publicly traded company makes sense overall, not just in California.

Reactions: Axeman
The time frame and trend you mentioned consistent with what the service adviser I spoke to stated for Southern California (similar to a prior post I made). He said that he has been working at the Telsa Service center for three years and never fails, they get a large number of orders filled at the end of March. He didn't give a reason, but being able to book the revenue before quarter end for a publicly traded company makes sense overall, not just in California.

In the past more so, they were shipping all of their cars, globally, from one factory in California. So they'd build for Europe and Asia in the first half of the quarter and ship those on boats (which take a while) and then spend the last half of the quarter building and delivering in the US and Canada. It isn't quite like that anymore, though because they are still beholding to quarterly earnings reports and such, they do still do everything they can to move every finished car to a customer by the end of the quarter.

I've gotten two end-of-quarter cars in the past. The 2016 Model S was fine - no major issues. And our 2018 Model 3 did need some paint touchup here and there and had some issues from shipping via truck, but overall was fine and has held up well since.

Reactions: Langzaiguy
In the past more so, they were shipping all of their cars, globally, from one factory in California. So they'd build for Europe and Asia in the first half of the quarter and ship those on boats (which take a while) and then spend the last half of the quarter building and delivering in the US and Canada. It isn't quite like that anymore, though because they are still beholding to quarterly earnings reports and such, they do still do everything they can to move every finished car to a customer by the end of the quarter.

I've gotten two end-of-quarter cars in the past. The 2016 Model S was fine - no major issues. And our 2018 Model 3 did need some paint touchup here and there and had some issues from shipping via truck, but overall was fine and has held up well since.

This still makes sense despite some markets are getting MY from China. The demand in China is also very high so they may have limited supply for export.

My order was reconfigured on 1/28/21 from original order placed on 3/15/2019 (PMY 7 seat). I haven't seen any update.

Reactions: Giraffe950
ETA disappeared on Feb 13th. Now it says: "Estimated Delivery: 2 - 5 weeks from order placed date". Ordered on Jan 9th. No VIN yet :-(
Hm, my order now says the same thing.
KPwwKYN.png

Same here but mine does not even say "estimated delivery" date projection. It only says the following, many members have said disappearing of estimated date indicates, you're close to getting VIN - I wish this is true in our case :)

"We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration."

Mine just went blank within the past hour. It’s been jumping back and forth these past couple weeks, but this is the first time it’s blacked out. I’d like to think a vin is coming, but more likely it’s a system update or something, especially since it seems pretty widespread.