Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70kwh packs in the refresh are really 75kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the new packs are 75s versus 70s by utilizing less blanks, then how much extra weight would an MS with the 75 be carrying around not utilized? Enough to impact range a bit over time, e.g. an extra 100-200lb or so?

Seems like just filling some of the unused blanks that exist in the 70 versus 85/90 is the easiest way for Tesla to create a 75 pack for now...

Heck, if they offered it for those of us with an older 70D as an upgrade, to pop in a new pack, then I'd consider it at $2000-2500. 5 more full usable kWh of range...

-T
It's been mentioned before, they no longer use blanks. Although this may be incorrect.

I must say I am confused. If Tesla is out of the 70 battery packs and is placing 75 battery packs in the refreshed S70 under production, why would Tesla continue to allow customers to order 70 battery packs on cars currently being ordered?

The only explanation I can conjure up is that Tesla already raised the price of the entry level Model S $1,500 with the announcement of the refresh, and it doesn't want to, in effect, raise the price another $3,250 at this point, preferring to allow the customers to decide after the fact if they want to pay for the extra 5Kws.

Tesla works in mysterious ways.

Reactions: MSullivan
Also in an effort to keep a high re-sale value of existing cars, Tesla refuse to pass down to future customers any battery cost savings. They have pretty much kept the same $/kWh since model S was first released. And that's when their pack cost was over $250/kWh, whereas they recently mentioned that cost has dropped to $190.

These "enable after purchase" upgrades really make things confusing when leasing. It appears it is not built into the residual value if you enable after purchase, but if you do it before purchase it gets built into the residual value, which means you pay a little more than half the cost of the option. It also seems to me to be a good way for Tesla to protect the value of lease returns, as I suppose they could just enable these options once a vehicle is returned off lease increasing the resale value of the vehicle..

These "enable after purchase" upgrades really make things confusing when leasing. It appears it is not built into the residual value if you enable after purchase, but if you do it before purchase it gets built into the residual value, which means you pay a little more than half the cost of the option. It also seems to me to be a good way for Tesla to protect the value of lease returns, as I suppose they could just enable these options once a vehicle is returned off lease increasing the resale value of the vehicle..

Ding ding ding. And CPOs. Instant profit margin. Tesla is smart. Very smart.

If the new packs are 75s versus 70s by utilizing less blanks, then how much extra weight would an MS with the 75 be carrying around not utilized? Enough to impact range a bit over time, e.g. an extra 100-200lb or so?

Seems like just filling some of the unused blanks that exist in the 70 versus 85/90 is the easiest way for Tesla to create a 75 pack for now...

Heck, if they offered it for those of us with an older 70D as an upgrade, to pop in a new pack, then I'd consider it at $2000-2500. 5 more full usable kWh of range...

-T
I believe the 70 already filled in all the blanks from the 60. This bump in capacity is likely the same chemistry change as the 85 to 90.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
So.... Theft?

Most (if not all) of the BMW coding options are hidden tweaks or mods or features available in other countries... Not features that BMW charges more for. Even for things like enabling the XM radio hardware you still need to buy a key from BMW.

Some yes and some no. For the truly adaptive LED lights that split the high beam and don't blind on-coming traffic you're simply deleting the code BMW installs on US cars shutting that feature off. Other stuff like 6NR intelligent bluetooth is now purely software and people commonly code it in after purchase. No additional hardware needed.

But yes, most of the stuff you can do is tweaks to what's already there. I wouldn't condone anyone jumping into their in-warranty Tesla and making any changes. Now after the car is out of warranty and it's been through a couple owners, then I wouldn't care so much. Now that we're finding out that S85's are basically software limited P85's that will be a nice future upgrade.

uhm, what? The P85s have a larger inverter. Where are you getting this from?
You haven't been watching the other threads. wk057 has made the assertion that the rear drive unit on the P85 and the S85 are physically identically -- just firmware and software differences. (Avoiding cycling the drama -- he made no such assertion about the 85D vs. the P85D.) Multiple people in multiple threads have taken this a gospel or fact.

You haven't been watching the other threads. wk057 has made the assertion that the rear drive unit on the P85 and the S85 are physically identically -- just firmware and software differences. (Avoiding cycling the drama -- he made no such assertion about the 85D vs. the P85D.) Multiple people in multiple threads have taken this a gospel or fact.

Obviously not the relevant threads. I thought wk057 wasn't posting his research to TMC anymore. What thread(s) is this? I'd surely like to catch up, but I find it very hard to believe this is true just because wk057 makes one assertion about it. I'll believe it if/when he can "unlock" an S85 into a P85.