Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

72 amp charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this discussed awhile ago but couldn’t find definitive results. Since Tesla cheapened out and no longer include 72amp charging on their “100 battery” models, does anybody know if you can add the additional charger and how much it costs for doing so?

Thanks!

I saw this discussed awhile ago but couldn’t find definitive results. Since Tesla cheapened out and no longer include 72amp charging on their “100 battery” models, does anybody know if you can add the additional charger and how much it costs for doing so?

Thanks!

I wouldn't say they cheapened at all... It was an option that the majority of owners didn't order.

As for adding them, we've talked about it for years with our 90s and the costs aren't worth it (thinking $4k+), nor are the service centers enabling them any longer.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
I wouldn't say they cheapened at all... It was an option that the majority of owners didn't order.
For awhile it was not an “option” My 2018 MS100D came with 72amp charging standard. My new MS100PD (equivalent, I realize it’s now LR) not only didn’t come with it, but I couldn’t order it as an option. Hence why I said they cheapened out on it.

As I understand it, the charging consists of 24amp chargers with the cars getting two installed for 48amps, you used to be able to get a third installed (or standard) for a total of 72amps. I’m trying to find out if I can install a third 24amp charger...

As I understand it, the charging consists of 24amp chargers with the cars getting two installed for 48amps, you used to be able to get a third installed (or standard) for a total of 72amps. I’m trying to find out if I can install a third 24amp charger...

There used to be either two or three 24A charging boards as you suggest, but they were contained within a single physical housing. That said, the 48A and 72A onboard chargers were different part numbers and there’s no way a Tesla service center is going to crack one open for you and install a third internal board.

I’ve seen suggestions that the current 48A S/X onboard charger uses 3x 16A boards like the Model 3/Y does, perhaps for supply chain simplification/standardization, but I haven’t come across any confirmation of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors and brkaus
Between when Tesla introduced S/X with 100 KWh battery packs and when they decided to standardize on 48A charging, there was an option to purchase a 72A charging upgrade.

And Tesla actually installed the 72A chargers in at least some of the S/X models built in that period, and then software limited to charging to 48A.

When I checked with Tesla, they verified our 2017 S has a 72A charger onboard, but to do the upgrade from 48A to 72A, we'd have to pay the same price to do the upgrade as if we only had the 48A charger on board.

Our 2018 X has a 72 charger, and we charge it on a wall connector set to 48A (on a 60A circuit), and that charges fast enough overnight.

So far, we haven't used the 72A charging capability on the X, since we charge at home at 48A, use superchargers on road trips, and use a 30A dryer outlet when staying with family.

And this is why Tesla likely decided to standardize on 48A and reduce the cost of the onboard chargers and the mobile connectors.

Sorry late to the party here, but I just called my SC for my 2018 Model S 75D (late Feb build) and I was told that my car already has an onboard 72A charger which is software limited to 48A and to get the "upgrade" it owuld be a software upgrade only with a cost of $1000! WTF!!!!

Reactions: dbldwn02
i had the option on my 90D, but in the 2 years I owned it I dont think it was ever used? I never saw higher than the 40's when I used Tesla's $500 wall connector. And not sure if it made any difference when supercharging?

Tesla's Wall Connector cannot output beyond 48 amps

1627576586402.png

I love my dual chargers and my Gen2 HPWC. As / when I look for a newer Model S, the 72A charger will definitely be on my list of wants. It’s an error (IMHO) for Tesla to no longer offer it.

Why? We have limited parking so I often pull the S around the back of the house to charge and then move it when it’s done. Being able to charge in a few hours makes a real difference in convenience. Plus our service is only 208V, not 240, so at 40A I’d only be charging at just over 8kw.

My 2013 S85 had dual chargers and I loved getting 60 miles of range per hour. When I changed up to a 2015 S85D it came with the 48 amp single charger and the additional charger was no longer offered as an upgrade. I have learned to live with getting only 28 miles of range per hour. I still use the HPWC that I purchased in 2015 which is rated for 80 amps.

My 2013 S85 had dual chargers and I loved getting 60 miles of range per hour. When I changed up to a 2015 S85D it came with the 48 amp single charger and the additional charger was no longer offered as an upgrade. I have learned to live with getting only 28 miles of range per hour. I still use the HPWC that I purchased in 2015 which is rated for 80 amps.
My pre-refresh 2016 from January 2016 came with a single 40 amp charger. I forget when I added the second 40 amp charger but it may have been as late as 2017. I tried a CHADeMo adapter first but that turned out to be a waste of money and I sold the adapter after the second 40 amp charger was installed.