Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is from FB group "Tesla owners worldwide". It is a closed group, so I don't want to post more, but join it. Picture was posted Sunday by a norwegian member.

According to parts catalogue that would be P85DL battery, so i'm not sure what to think about it.
I'm not sure about the battery change. I've only seen one pic from Norway and he later said it was a retrofitted 75D with 85 pack. I haven't seen any new 75 or 75D owners actually post their packs yet. So take this with a grain of salt.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I'm not sure about the battery change. I've only seen one pic from Norway and he later said it was a retrofitted 75D with 85 pack. I haven't seen any new 75 or 75D owners actually post their packs yet. So take this with a grain of salt.

There are more pictures from different packs in the same thread, posted by the same person. All from Norway. He says that they are from Norwegian Tesla users FB group. I'm not sure either till we have some new source.

Could some Norwegian TMC user verify this?

Last edited:
There are more pictures from different packs in the same thread, posted by the same person. All from Norway. He says that they are from Norwegian Tesla users FB group. I'm not sure either till we have some new source.

Could some Norwegian TMC user verify this?
The pictures looked the same to me so I thought it was the same picture. We still need to see a different sources than the Facebook group.

The pictures looked the same to me so I thought it was the same picture. We still need to see a different sources than the Facebook group.
I got my 75D 2 days ago. This is how the battery pack looks like. I did test 0-100. And it is definitely under 5s. Could time exactly but felt very quick. Looks like new motor and new firmware.

Attachments

• IMG_7469.JPG
    IMG_7469.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 242
Did you know the P85D didn't have a gearbox? You don't seem to understand basic power to weight, gear ratios or drag racing fundamentals. The car has 691hp. If there's anything you should be complaining about, it's the fact that the car limits power due to overheating. The horsepower argument is stupid.
It is obvious you have no understanding what the horsepower is, or you would never claim it. If the battery cannot deliver it, no part of the car can possibly produce it. Gears by the way, change torque, but do not produce any more power (they actually cut power due to mechanical inefficiencies such as friction, but even a 100% efficient gear box doesn't add ANY power). Feel free to google that topic, as it is a surprisingly common misconception.

Enough of that.
It has been already taked about many many times. This is not a thread for it.
This thread started about one undelivered promise, so it's bound to have people mention a pattern of undelivered promises, which of course will draw up fanboys to defend them, like my 85KWh battery case is really capable of holding 85KWh worth of capacity, it's just that it's limited by the number of cells Tesla put inside it to only 81KWh worth of cells in it, so of course they didn't lie, the battery casing is capable of 85KWh (as proven by the 90 cars using the very same case). And I'm sure it's equivalent to 100KWh when compare to some other car out there, so they really were conservative when they advertised "85KWh battery".

Three Norwegian forumists have confirmed 85 kWh-packs on their new 75Ds.

They all had option codes "BR05" and "BTX8".

"BR00" means No Range Upgrade, while "BR0X" (BR01, BR02 and BR05) means Range Upgrade.

BTX5 is S75, while BTX8 is a whole new options code.

Some ppl with orders have reported BTX5, others BTX8. So it seems a bit random who gets what right now

I got my 75D 2 days ago. This is how the battery pack looks like. I did test 0-100. And it is definitely under 5s. Could time exactly but felt very quick. Looks like new motor and new firmware.

When did you order the car? I guess I'm wondering by just looking at the pack how we can determine if it has the new hardware/software for the performance boost.

When did you order the car? I guess I'm wondering by just looking at the pack how we can determine if it has the new hardware/software for the performance boost.[/QU

I received my 75D yesterday. Confirmed order 6/8, pre-production 6/21, I believe it was finished 6/29. Payed for car 6/30. Had me in a loaner until delivery. My battery is 75kWh@350v. Still no confirmation I have the updated Drive Unit. Definitely not getting 4.2 0-60 as it feels considerably slower than the 90D loaner I was driving. No one from my local service center has been able to confirm if I have new DU. Was hoping for software limited 85 battery, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm hoping firmware will update the 0-60 time

Hmm. Very interesting. My 75D was delivered in early May and I have the same part number.

Battery - 1101082-00-A

Which is the 350v 75KW.

So that makes me believe that the power increase must be from a new drive unit INVERTER and software change. Since you're definitely not running a higher "battery" voltage.

It is obvious you have no understanding what the horsepower is, or you would never claim it. If the battery cannot deliver it, no part of the car can possibly produce it. Gears by the way, change torque, but do not produce any more power (they actually cut power due to mechanical inefficiencies such as friction, but even a 100% efficient gear box doesn't add ANY power). Feel free to google that topic, as it is a surprisingly common misconception.
This thread is about the new 75. I mentioned the gear box because you were complaining about the car lacking power at 40mph, I understand powertrain losses.
A dynamometer can not accurately measure the power of an EV. The drag strip is where you can easily prove the 691hp comparing to ice vehicles of the same weight. It seems you don't like to be wrong but unfortunately in this case you're dead wrong. Move on.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
This thread is about the new 75. I mentioned the gear box because you were complaining about the car lacking power at 40mph, I understand powertrain losses.
A dynamometer can not accurately measure the power of an EV. The drag strip is where you can easily prove the 691hp comparing to ice vehicles of the same weight. It seems you don't like to be wrong but unfortunately in this case you're dead wrong. Move on.

I find the defenses for Tesla like this, which have no basis in reality, pretty amusing. A dyno certainly can accurately measure the power output of an EV. I've personally done it successfully with my own cars. I can't believe the 691 HP issue still hasn't been resolved, personally. By definition 691 HP = 515486 watts. Even the P100D barely produces this much power at the battery at a full charge and heated pack... let alone a non-ludicrous P85D (~400kW or so at best)... and that's before it even gets to the motor, not counting any losses elsewhere.

Non-sequitur for this thread, though.

Some facts about the battery packs: The 75 packs use 14 modules of the type of cells found in the 90 packs, which had 16 modules. The 85 packs, which are no longer produced by Tesla by the way, had 16 modules with lower capacity cells. So, to say Tesla is putting 85 packs into 75s and software limiting them is kind of silly... admittedly, I've been catching up on my Tesla news and rumors lately, but I've seen no evidence for this whatsoever, especially considering Tesla doesn't even produce the 85 packs anymore nor use the cells that were used in it for anything at all at this point. Anyone have a photo of a car with a 75 rear badge and an 85 pack label on a car from the factory? Preferably an uncut video that shows both in the same clip.

As for the increased power... I don't know what Tesla has done to up the power, honestly. Things I do know, however: The 75 packs are capable of ~1400A output. The small drive unit's I've tested are capable of some pretty high peak currents, beyond 750A. So, I know without any doubt, that Tesla could, with software alone, up the power of the 75D cars significantly... like, probably to the point of being as fast as the original P85D. Should easily be able to get ~500+ HP out of a 75D with no hardware mods whatsoever (with a full, warm pack).

Obviously, Tesla has little incentive to do this, and will likely continue to nerf the lower end models' performance so that people opt for the higher profit margin models.

I find the defenses for Tesla like this, which have no basis in reality, pretty amusing. A dyno certainly can accurately measure the power output of an EV. I've personally done it successfully with my own cars. I can't believe the 691 HP issue still hasn't been resolved, personally. By definition 691 HP = 515486 watts. Even the P100D barely produces this much power at the battery at a full charge and heated pack... let alone a non-ludicrous P85D (~400kW or so at best)... and that's before it even gets to the motor, not counting any losses elsewhere.

Non-sequitur for this thread, though.

Some facts about the battery packs: The 75 packs use 14 modules of the type of cells found in the 90 packs, which had 16 modules. The 85 packs, which are no longer produced by Tesla by the way, had 16 modules with lower capacity cells. So, to say Tesla is putting 85 packs into 75s and software limiting them is kind of silly... admittedly, I've been catching up on my Tesla news and rumors lately, but I've seen no evidence for this whatsoever, especially considering Tesla doesn't even produce the 85 packs anymore nor use the cells that were used in it for anything at all at this point. Anyone have a photo of a car with a 75 rear badge and an 85 pack label on a car from the factory? Preferably an uncut video that shows both in the same clip.

As for the increased power... I don't know what Tesla has done to up the power, honestly. Things I do know, however: The 75 packs are capable of ~1400A output. The small drive unit's I've tested are capable of some pretty high peak currents, beyond 750A. So, I know without any doubt, that Tesla could, with software alone, up the power of the 75D cars significantly... like, probably to the point of being as fast as the original P85D. Should easily be able to get ~500+ HP out of a 75D with no hardware mods whatsoever (with a full, warm pack).

Obviously, Tesla has little incentive to do this, and will likely continue to nerf the lower end models' performance so that people opt for the higher profit margin models.
The speculation is that the new 75/85 packs have 14 of the new 516 cell modules, making them 85-90kWh packs, and that these packs are then software limited to 75kWh.

The speculation is that the new 75/85 packs have 14 of the new 516 cell modules, making them 85-90kWh packs, and that these packs are then software limited to 75kWh.

That's plausible, but no evidence to support it thus far to my knowledge.

They are not putting in new 85 packs, but reconditioned ones. And only for a limited number of cars that were in transit when the new performance was released.

This doesn't seem logical or plausible. I don't believe Tesla could sell a new vehicle with a reconditioned battery pack.