Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So have we decided that the codes for the new drive units are DU01 fpr 75 and DU00 for 75D?
Close. Those are the codes for the new drive units. I believe that the higher models also have those drive units and codes, not just the 75. Also I believe that the P and higher models are on DU01, meaning new big drive unit in back and new small drive unit in front.

I just missed the 4.2 second improvement. It is a state of mind thing.

You've got to be happy with the package when you order, and to decide you'll stay happy with it, no matter whate they do to that same car in the future.

If you order, take delivery, then decide you aren't so happy with what you bought because there are improvements later, you won't enjoy the car and that is unfortunate.

I just got an S75D. It only has 600 miles on it. It is all I thought it would be and more. Sure, quicker is better, but the new improvement in no way diminishes my car.

Once in the past I bought a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. It had 299HP and it cornered like it was on rails (it was the year the car had 4 wheel steering). I installed a kit from Jim Wolfe racing that mainly altered the turbo wastegate dump profile and so significantly increased turbo boost. It took the car up another 100HP. I put my foot into it several times to feel that acceleration and it was oh so satisfying, but I did not use it very often after that. There just aren't that many opportunities. 80mph comes up very quickly in a 400 HP Z, and one is still in 3rd gear.

For me the 5.2 seconds 0-60 is great. Sure I'm still juvenile enough that I'd like 4.2 second 0-60 times but I don't think I'd use the additional acceleration that often. Realistically there just aren't many times when the 4.2 acceleration would be adequate and the 5.2 wouldn't. I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of my great new car.

There is always someone that has it better than someone else. Those that dwell on it aren't ever happy. I plan to stay happy.

Best,
David
What chaps me is my 5.2 second NEW car has just been depreciated an extra $5-10K. Computers and phones don't introduce upgrades several times a year. With Tesla, no one knows when the year end is. Plus, I'm still waiting on my EAP to work as advertised. They dated my car before they finished delivering it.

The car does get better with software updates. Are you really expecting them to make your car faster and give it more range via software? Tesla is known to over-promise but I don't think they've ever come close to insinuating that this would be the case. It gets better in terms of features like auto-homelink, EQ Improvements and additional options installed via software that the car didn't originally ship with.
I'm still waiting on the EAP features to show up. I seriously doubt that they can't crank a bit more
0-60 performance out of the pre July 1st versions. Yes it will reduce mileage if used but, so does not rodding any Tesla. I think they could throw us a bone. $100,000 rip off for my S75D. You want to buy it. Just 4,000 miles.

I'm still waiting on the EAP features to show up. I seriously doubt that they can't crank a bit more
0-60 performance out of the pre July 1st versions. Yes it will reduce mileage if used but, so does not rodding any Tesla. I think they could throw us a bone. $100,000 rip off for my S75D. You want to buy it. Just 4,000 miles.

The car is still the same as when you bought it. You knew what you were getting and you paid for it. Expecting Tesla to continually give your car new features is not seen anywhere in the auto industry. And if you bought your car expecting it to hold its value, well then....

Close. Those are the codes for the new drive units. I believe that the higher models also have those drive units and codes, not just the 75. Also I believe that the P and higher models are on DU01, meaning new big drive unit in back and new small drive unit in front.[/
Good god - STFU!!

I seriously doubt that they can't crank a bit more 0-60 performance out of the pre July 1st versions.
We know that the performance upgrade has nothing to do with the new drive units. Otherwise foreign delivered cars that were produced in May with BTX5 batteries and without drive unit DU00, cars that were uncorked at the local service center before delivery but after July 1st, wouldn't be getting 4.2 second 0-60 (0-100) times.

• Love
Reactions: IFought4U and rsan
We know that the performance upgrade has nothing to do with the new drive units. Otherwise foreign delivered cars that were produced in May with BTX5 batteries and without drive unit DU00, cars that were uncorked at the local service center before delivery but after July 1st, wouldn't be getting 4.2 second 0-60 (0-100) times.
That are a lot of things they don't announce; however, they did state that the performance upgrade involves hardware changes. At this time I'm not holding out hope that my car can be upgraded.

I have a 60D vin around 169.. that I received the end of March. After reading these threads I had resigned I'd never get the 4.2 performance boost even if I did the 75D upgrade. Then the other day Tesla came to pick up my car for service in Cleveland. It's down there for a creaking and some other small issues I've found since delivery. The transporter said outright " I'm almost 100% sure you would get that performance boost if you buy the 75D upgrade." but mentioned I should confirm it first. I don't believe the guy so I call the SC and speak to an 'owners advisor' who says crystal clear "No, only newly produced cars can receive the performance boost". That's what I expected to hear. Then later in the day another guy from the same SC who is with the guys working on my car calls me to specifically discuss the 75D upgrade questions I have. I mentioned clearly I don't need the range but if an upgrade got me the added range and the new ~4.2 sec 0-60 time I'd buy the upgrade in a second so they can re-badge it there at the SC. He tells me very plainly "yes if you upgrade you the 75D you'll see the performance boost.". At this point my head is spinning from the double talk and I'm waiting on an email confirming my vin, if upgraded there at the SC would receive the new speeds or I won't bother making the purchase. I don't expect to ever get that email. I'm sadly thinking that it's more likely the people on the ground are just spouting nonsense on the off chance I might get emotional an buy it on impulse, and pad the bottom line.