Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 D range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
about to go order 75 dmodel can't seem to justify 10K difference for approximately 20 miles of range daily drive is 50 miles sometimes go down to the beach about 80 miles each way rarely go over that all you guys who have 75's are you sorry or any second thoughts

No "regurts" with my 75D ;)

If I was ordering now, I would go for the 60D, can always pay more later to unlock the 75 if 100% of 60D range is not enough.

From what I read, you don't even need to take it to the Service Center for the unlock, just pay in MyTesla and they push a software update within a day or 2. The only reason to visit a Service Center after would be to get the new 75D badge :cool:

about to go order 75 dmodel can't seem to justify 10K difference for approximately 20 miles of range daily drive is 50 miles sometimes go down to the beach about 80 miles each way rarely go over that all you guys who have 75's are you sorry or any second thoughts

Reactions: MarkoC
It really depends on what your usage is going to be. 75D and even 60D are sufficient for most normal commutes. Will you be taking road trips? If so what is the distance between Superchargers? Are you ok with spending a little more time at Superchargers and/or stopping more times to charge?

For us, we wanted the maximum range and minimum required charging time. Also we wanted to be able to tow, so range is pretty important for that as well. We recently towed a 3000 lb camper trailer 78 miles with the last 6 miles climbing about 2400 feet. We might have made it in a 75D, but it would have been very close.

IMG_7751.JPG

Reactions: goneskiian

last week I did a road trip from Atlanta to Washington DC, I do not have
range anxiety at all, I agree with you and don't think it worth it to buy 90D, 13K for 20 miles, that's not a smart buy, unless you are loaded. 13K you can get a lot of options. I've seen people bought a 90D only has autopilot. Plus, 20 miles in road trips make no difference. 75D's mileage is good enough for me if I want to skip to a SC, and I am not talking about driving like an old lady, I am driving at 70-75 mph in the highway.

so, I think 75D has the best value of all the models. 60D you can unlock the miles if you need it, but when you charge 90% for daily use, you get around 180 miles, 80 miles to the beach each way so you are talking about 160, you are getting really close here.

so, I think 75D has the best value of all the models. 60D you can unlock the miles if you need it, but when you charge 90% for daily use, you get around 180 miles, 80 miles to the beach each way so you are talking about 160, you are getting really close here.

You can always charge to 100% on 60D since it has the same 75D battery. It's the 75D that you need to charge upto 90% for daily and battery longevity.

I don't understand the charging to 90%. I never charge my BMW or Fiat to 90% to help w/ battery life. But then again they are leases so really, Tesla has no problem marketing the range, it's not my concern if there is battery degradation.

I don't understand the charging to 90%. I never charge my BMW or Fiat to 90% to help w/ battery life. But then again they are leases so really, Tesla has no problem marketing the range, it's not my concern if there is battery degradation.
This is related to battery science, keeping the battery at higher states of charge for a prolonged period causes electrolytes to form in the cells that degrade charge capacity over time. By keeping the state of charge at the specified range 60-90% you effectively reduce this degradation. A 60D can be charged to 100% daily b/c it is essentially a 75Kw battery being charged to 90%.

This is false. The time spent at Superchargers will be different. And while 75D will be able to skip some Superchargers, 90D will have more flexibility in doing so.

Maybe I wasn't clear, what I meant it makes no difference is that without the 20 miles you can still skip one SC if you want to. Of course the charge time will be different, but I think the difference is minutes. When I get to a SC, I typically spend more time on stretching, letting the kid play than the actual charging time.

On my trip to DC, there's only one SC I can't skip, but was able to skip any of the SCs for the rest of the trip. You are correct that you will have more flexibility to skip one, but my point is without the 20 extra miles you can still skip most of the SCs.

@Rich Meister, on battery degradation we can assume safely that it will be similar on X and S (same battery packs). You can get a lot of info on the Model S threads with a lot more statistics since first S hit the road in 2013. Bottom line is that battery degradation is on average minimal, first year sees the biggest drop, 1 to 2% then less over time.
Case in point, after 50,000 miles in 2 years my S85 was still charging at 237 miles (90% charge) and 264 miles (100%), while it was respectively 242 and 269 miles when brand new (EPA rating of 265 miles on full charge). I was charging to 90% most of the time and would use 100% ahead of long trips without troubles.
Typical case scenario so far indicates that you can expect to keep at least 93% of the original capacity after 100,000 miles, and probably more if you don't overuse 100% charge frequently and with all the advances Tesla has made on battery packs since then.

Loving my X, but want to share my real world 90 experience. I'm on 22 inch rims, regenerative braking set to low.

Range starts at 230. I'm driving an 89mile trip from Southampton to NYC that, because of summer traffic can take 2:15 to 2:45. I can be going 74mph or 5mph. AC set at 68 (lowest of any car I own, but feels most comfortable there), outside temp is about 80.

I am arriving home with as high as 120 and as low as 90 miles remaining.

So my point is, don't forget about traffic eating into your miles.

Understood, but it takes time to adjust your style of driving to account for no "coasting" without making your passengers sick (at least in my experience). I think you have to warm up to full regenerative breaking and I hope to get there soon...

Understood, but it takes time to adjust your style of driving to account for no "coasting" without making your passengers sick (at least in my experience). I think you have to warm up to full regenerative breaking and I hope to get there soon...

the i3 regen is crazy but my wife got the hang of it pretty quick. And +1 on the car sickness for others. they didn't get the hang of it quick enough

@Rich Meister, on battery degradation we can assume safely that it will be similar on X and S (same battery packs). You can get a lot of info on the Model S threads with a lot more statistics since first S hit the road in 2013. Bottom line is that battery degradation is on average minimal, first year sees the biggest drop, 1 to 2% then less over time.
Case in point, after 50,000 miles in 2 years my S85 was still charging at 237 miles (90% charge) and 264 miles (100%), while it was respectively 242 and 269 miles when brand new (EPA rating of 265 miles on full charge). I was charging to 90% most of the time and would use 100% ahead of long trips without troubles.
Typical case scenario so far indicates that you can expect to keep at least 93% of the original capacity after 100,000 miles, and probably more if you don't overuse 100% charge frequently and with all the advances Tesla has made on battery packs since then.

Thanks for the response! 100k miles w/ 7% loss is really good in my book; in line w/ ICE cars.