Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 or 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range difference is negligible IMO, 249 RWD vs 259 AWD.

0-60 is 5.5 for the RWD, 4.2 for the D assuming it is / can be uncorked.

I have a late '16 RWD. At the time it was the right decision, but when the whole uncorking thing happened I was pretty bummed about missing out on the performance increase.

Reactions: MIT_S60
We have a '17 S75D. I drove a S75 loaner for the day while our car had it's annual service. The biggest difference I noticed was in the relative lack of regen stopping power overall, especially during my commute. I didn't realize how much I had become used to one pedal driving until I drove the S75. I checked the settings (regen level and "chill") and they were the same on both cars.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Range difference is negligible IMO, 249 RWD vs 259 AWD.

0-60 is 5.5 for the RWD, 4.2 for the D assuming it is / can be uncorked.

I have a late '16 RWD. At the time it was the right decision, but when the whole uncorking thing happened I was pretty bummed about missing out on the performance increase.
The later S75 was also capable of being upcorked and achieving a 4.3 0-60. Mine was.

We have a '17 S75D. I drove a S75 loaner for the day while our car had it's annual service. The biggest difference I noticed was in the relative lack of regen stopping power overall, especially during my commute. I didn't realize how much I had become used to one pedal driving until I drove the S75. I checked the settings (regen level and "chill") and they were the same on both cars.
I was not aware of this. Maybe it is a traction control issue, and it is trying to prevent wheel slipping? Or maybe it is a tire wear kluge to reduce rear wheel wear?

I assume there was not a limit due to SOC or temperature when you drove the RWD...

I was not aware of this. Maybe it is a traction control issue, and it is trying to prevent wheel slipping? Or maybe it is a tire wear kluge to reduce rear wheel wear?

I assume there was not a limit due to SOC or temperature when you drove the RWD...
Similar SOC and temperature. I believe it's strictly having 2 motors providing resistance during regen. Similarly, even though the S75D has to be heavier (2nd motor) it has a higher rated range due to the extra regen capability.

Similar SOC and temperature. I believe it's strictly having 2 motors providing resistance during regen. Similarly, even though the S75D has to be heavier (2nd motor) it has a higher rated range due to the extra regen capability.

Actually, the higher rated range is due to torque sleep for long distance highway. I don't think there is any regen difference but I've got a 75D, so I haven't actually driven RWD and compared.

Reactions: Duffer and BerTX
I recently drove 2013 RWD S85 loaner while my '16 RWD S75 was in service and found a huge difference in regen between two cars. Loaner was much more stronger regen and just one pedal driving experience compared to mine. Same settings on both but loaner had pirelli winter tires and mine has GET OEM tires. Can tires alone make that much of a difference in regen?

Curve ball question, not related to OP

Does anyone know if the RWD cars have a better turning circle than AWD cars? Mine is AWD and sometimes I wish the turning circle was better. That got me wondering the other day of the RWD ones are better.
You may find that this is somewhat artificial depending on speed. If you stop or almost stop, then turn the wheel, the car turns much shorter. I think the car won't allow too sharp of a turn at speed to prevent flipping.

In answer to your question about a difference between AWD and RWD turning, I have no input.

I've got a s75 oktober 2017. 0 - 60 in 4.3 seconds. The 2016 models I don't know... heard they did 5.5 seconds if not uncorcked.
Also I've got MCU 2.5. Don't know if there's any difference in 2016 75 VS 75D in this regard. Could be both on 2.0. 2.0 Means no dashcam functionality through the front camera.

If weather conditions are a non-factor, a '16 MS75 and '16 MS75D should perform nearly the same. There is slightly more range with the dual motors and perhaps there is better regen capability, however the cars should perform almost identically.

Add just a little water to the road and the RWD-only car will tend to fishtail/lose control or spin tires, especially when accelerating quickly. Of course using a quality tire will improve things.

Driving dual-motor loaners is like night and day while in wet conditions vs. my '17 MS75. Seems like anything with a D will stick to the road like glue. You have to be a little more careful with the RWD option.

Whats the performance(0-60) and range difference between a 16 MS 75 and 16 MS 75d and
is there any other benefit to having the D if weather conditions are a non factor?
Just considering the weight of the car, for the RWD all the power is always sent to the rear,
so I assume that there must be more wear of the rear drive train
than if you were able to spread the load between the front and the rear motors.

If weather conditions are a non-factor, a '16 MS75 and '16 MS75D should perform nearly the same. There is slightly more range with the dual motors and perhaps there is better regen capability, however the cars should perform almost identically.

Add just a little water to the road and the RWD-only car will tend to fishtail/lose control or spin tires, especially when accelerating quickly. Of course using a quality tire will improve things.

Driving dual-motor loaners is like night and day while in wet conditions vs. my '17 MS75. Seems like anything with a D will stick to the road like glue. You have to be a little more careful with the RWD option.

I currently have a 13 Mercedes E63 that's been tuned and making nearly 700hp. The 13 is the last year of the RWD, the 14's came with the AWD. I searched quite a bit back when I bought it as I prefer the RWD. I mean what good is 700hp if you can't light up the tires. The car still launches amazing and performs better than the AWD in the 1/4 mile. The problem with the Tesla is it seems there's quite a bit of performance loss with the non D version. From the replies in this thread I think the non D would need to be a 2017 to have equal performance as a D.