Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Created a Problem that stumped Tesla Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see why Tesla would be stumped because who would think somebody had a device installed in the car that defeats or interferes with seat belt safety?

Maybe every phone call should start, "Have you reverted the car back to as-delivered condition? Have you done a factory reset on the center console? No? Call us back when that is done."

Or maybe, "It's our policy to do a remote reset on your car in order to continue diagnosing a potential problem, are you sure you want to proceed?"

You wrote:

"My wife despite my best efforts refuses to wear a seat belt so we have a small seat belt extender on the passenger seat to trick the car . . . "

Are you kidding us?!? Do you know that there are two algorithms for the airbag deployment, one for belted, intelligent, aware passengers, and the other for people that are not? By "tricking" the airbags she'll likely pay the price in greater injury and/or death in the event of an accident as the deployment schedule is different.

Physics doesn't care about what your wife believes or doesn't believe, it just applies the Laws of Motion. I'd suggest a crash course in BASIC PHYSICS for her to help her get over her remarkably poor decision making/risk analysis. Her amazingly poor decision-making places YOUR life, and that of all other passengers, at risk as well given her mass and where it might go in the event of an action. (Hint: Object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by another force.)

Sometimes the thought process of my fellow humans leaves me dumbstruck and almost speechless . . . this is one of those times.

to answer the last 2 questions... My wife's uncle was in a car crash a few years ago and for some reason he was told that he actually survived the crash because he was not wearing a seat belt... One in a million odd circumstances that I cannot recall so this is her rationale.... to those that think you can change your wife's mind you are clearly not married...

I did call Tesla back and gave them the full story both the 800 number and the service center... in both cases it was new information for them..

thanks again all
I'd suggest that it is not even 1 / 10^6 chance that not wearing the seatbelt saved her uncle. She was either informed that by an ignorant person, or she heard what she wanted to hear.

I have some knowledge about this and I would state unequivocally that there is NO CIRCUMSTANCE IN A MODERN CAR IN WHICH NOT WEARING A SEATBELT LEADS TO A LESSER INJURY compared to wearing a seatbelt. None. Nada. Zilch.

I however hear you about convincing one's spouse. I can provide bloody pictures that you can sprinkle throughout the house and the car for her to look at...Then she can decide on her own.