Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Created a Problem that stumped Tesla Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my 8.0 upgrade this weekend and after relearning the radio controls it has been OK....However, on day 1 I had an issue.. I went to the grocery store, got out, locked the door manually with the FOB and the center screen and dashboard stayed on.... I came out of the grocery store 20 minutes later and both the dash and the screen were still on as bright as ever. next stop same thing...

I called tech support and they said that no one else has ever reported this issue (so far) and of course it is Friday night and no SC support available... we tried the standard reboot and it did not work.... here i am standing in a parking lot 40 feet from the car talking to Tesla on the phone saying "it's still on.... it's still on"

they scheduled me an appointment Sat AM with the SC and sent them the information.... Amazingly... a local service center tech called me on my cell 10 minutes later... 9 PM on a Friday night... (Go Tesla).... he asked the same questions and once i told him i just got updated with 8.0 he said that things were now making sense and that they have gotten a number of calls regarding 8.0 struggles but at the same time mine was a new problem for him as well. Ironically i was pulling into my driveway while on the phone with him, got out of the car, locked the door and everything immediately went dark as it should.. Problem Solved??? He said Tesla will be likely sending out little fixes over the next couple weeks...

So I get in the car Saturday night... and guess what... screen is staying lit all over again!!! So I am waiting a couple days and see if it gets magically fixed again before i go over to the SC...

I did learn a couple things however, the screen automatically times out at 30 minutes (a default setting) and it runs off the small battery in the car so no threat of losing range while sitting overnight. Everyone is assuming it ia a 8.0 problem so let's hope...

Has anyone else had this experience... I thought it might be the sensor in the seat not realizing i got out of the car but the car immediately goes to "car off" so i don't think that is the cause...

thanks....

Mark993
I've had the same problem. I called Service and was told to reboot. I did and that fixed the problem. However the next time I drove the the car the screen would not turn off when I got out. It's happened three times but reboot has fixed it. Guess I'll have to call Service again.

I went to the grocery store, got out, locked the door manually with the FOB and the center screen and dashboard stayed on.... I came out of the grocery store 20 minutes later and both the dash and the screen were still on as bright as ever. next stop same thing...
Did the car correctly automatically lock itself when you walked away with the fob in your possession? Or did the screens staying on indicate that the car was unlocked as if it thought you were still in the car or nearby?

The title to this thread should be changed. There's no information to confirm this has to do with 8.0. It's been happening to varying degrees for years and could be the result of a number of different issues and just coincided with the introduction of 8.0 for the OP. Correlation does not imply causation.

@Markk993 By chance did you have anything sitting on the passengers seat, or have the passengers seat belt buckled? (Some people do that to prevent noise even when there isn't a passenger.)

I ask because one of the new features in 8.0 is to keep the screen and A/C on when the passenger stays in the vehicle when the driver gets out. And we think they are using the seat belt and/or weight sensor in the seat to see if someone is there. (So you could have a defective seat belt sensor.)

Dunno if related, but in another thread I read of someone who has this problem. That person's work-around was to then get into car via passenger door, sit on seat, and then exit. (If that works for you it sounds like a seat-sensor switch failure of some kind, but what do I know?!!)

Dunno if related, but in another thread I read of someone who has this problem. That person's work-around was to then get into car via passenger door, sit on seat, and then exit. (If that works for you it sounds like a seat-sensor switch failure of some kind, but what do I know?!!)
That would make sense. I went in to the grocery store the other day and the passenger stayed in the car. I mentioned to make sure to tap the screen after I exit if you want to listen to music. I come back later and the person tells me they didn't need to touch anything as the screen stayed on.

So the behavior works like this now: If there was a driver present, the screen stays on for the passenger. If you enter in from the passenger side without a driver (like I tend to do a lot in the garage), the screen goes off until you tap it.

Yesterday, when my wife pulled into the garage with her car, she told me that my dashboard was illuminated. I went out to the car without my keys.... sure enough the dash was lit up but the center display was dark (car plugged into shore power via HPWC). The dash indicated that charging was complete however the car was not scheduled to recharge until 5 AM the next day. I fired up my iPhone app and told it to unlock and lock and upon locking, the dashboard and central display went dark as it should.

I will have to keep an eye on this...

I have the same problem and it started shortly after the 8.0 update. In addition, the car no longer auto-locks, even though the setting remains turned on. I will try the reboot option to see if it helps.

Do any of you other folks with this problem have auto-lock turned on? Did it also stop working, if so?

Mystery might be solved by MP3mike... My wife despite my best efforts refuses to wear a seat belt so we have a small seat belt extender on the passenger seat to trick the car into thinking the seat belt is attached when she is riding in the car... no annoying dings for 5 minutes.... based on the 8.0 upgrade the car is likely now thinking that there is a passenger there because the belt is "fastened" and if the screen tap is no longer necessary then it all comes together... it stayed on last night and i forgot my cell phone and went in through the passenger door to get it and the screen went right off... so it is likely that the passenger door opening trumps the seatbelt and the car then detects no one in the car...

Will experiment tonight.. so it might not be a glitch in 8.0 but the mystery was caused by new 8.0 features

to answer the last 2 questions... My wife's uncle was in a car crash a few years ago and for some reason he was told that he actually survived the crash because he was not wearing a seat belt... One in a million odd circumstances that I cannot recall so this is her rationale.... to those that think you can change your wife's mind you are clearly not married...

I did call Tesla back and gave them the full story both the 800 number and the service center... in both cases it was new information for them..

thanks again all

Reactions: Max*