Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8.0 Does support embedded artwork. All prior releases did not. Check your tagging.
Not to be nit-picky, simply for @DMC-Orangeville's benefit perhaps trying to get this to work. Yes, 8.0 does support embedded artwork ...BUT, not all possible formats and perhaps sizes. Tesla of course has not (yet) documented what is and is not supported within the ID3 specification. As I've noted above, not all of my jpg/png 100-to-1800+ on-a-side Album Art appears in Media Player 8.0 USB, but it does quite well others. I'm still waiting to get my MS back from the SvC (today is day 9) to try and isolate for myself and this community with more precision whats going on with inconsistent Media Player 8.0 USB Album Art display.

Along the lines of @tomas' reply, until I can be more specific, my suggestion to @DMC-Orangeville is to check your Album Art tagging and imbedded art, ensure it does so as a single "Front Cover" (not multiple art in one track, or one of the other 14 possible art variants), it's format is jpg (not jpeg, png or something else), and is relatively small in dimensions. Again, people can take whacks at what I suggest, but I'm just trying to help with what I'd do in your situation until I can more thoroughly identify what Tesla seems to be supporting or not.

Last edited:
No imbedded artwork
No alpha index
Still won't play .wma files
Still takes a LONG time to initially load (but does remember the USB stick when changing to different media/turning off the car)

DMC - Are you saying that the MP under the latest version now remembers the USB song that was playing when switching back and forth between different media, or just that it remembers the fact that USB music in general exists?

DMC - Are you saying that the MP under the latest version now remembers the USB song that was playing when switching back and forth between different media, or just that it remembers the fact that USB music in general exists?

The media player remembers the song playing when you exit the car and return, or pause the music.

It will also remember all of the songs on the USB stick - not have to re-load - when you switch back and forth between different media applications. Some folks said that they've had problems (not me), in previous versions of 8.0, in that their sticks re-loaded each time they switched to the USB in media player. I have not found that issue.

Not to be nit-picky, simply for @DMC-Orangeville's benefit perhaps trying to get this to work. Yes, 8.0 does support embedded artwork ...BUT, not all possible formats and perhaps sizes. Tesla of course has not (yet) documented what is and is not supported within the ID3 specification. As I've noted above, not all of my jpg/png 100-to-1800+ on-a-side Album Art appears in Media Player 8.0 USB, but it does quite well others. I'm still waiting to get my MS back from the SvC (today is day 9) to try and isolate for myself and this community with more precision whats going on with inconsistent Media Player 8.0 USB Album Art display.

Along the lines of @tomas' reply, until I can be more specific, my suggestion to @DMC-Orangeville is to check your Album Art tagging and imbedded art, ensure it does so as a single "Front Cover" (not multiple art in one track, or one of the other 14 possible art variants), it's format is jpg (not jpeg, png or something else), and is relatively small in dimensions. Again, people can take whacks at what I suggest, but I'm just trying to help with what I'd do in your situation until I can more thoroughly identify what Tesla seems to be supporting or not.

I know I have my songs tagged, as the album art appears in other non-Tesla applications....So I've obviously got some issues in their format with Tesla. I'll just hang out here until we get the perfect and easiest way to get the tagging done correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
The media player remembers the song playing when you exit the car and return, or pause the music.

It will also remember all of the songs on the USB stick - not have to re-load - when you switch back and forth between different media applications. Some folks said that they've had problems (not me), in previous versions of 8.0, in that their sticks re-loaded each time they switched to the USB in media player. I have not found that issue.

I know I have my songs tagged, as the album art appears in other non-Tesla applications....So I've obviously got some issues in their format with Tesla. I'll just hang out here until we get the perfect and easiest way to get the tagging done correctly.
I can tell you right now that 300x300 jpg tagged to the track (not album) works

Most of my music is tagged using Amazon as source and I think I chose 500x500 or 500x480 were most of the choices. As far as I can tell all my album art shows up.

Many other threads. For me the real bug is having to say no to the install dialog every day...possibly forever and making sure the SC puts a no software install note in my file so they don't wipe out my ability to play music off the USB.
This is my concern. I am also sticking with 7.1 mainly due to the ruination of the media player in 8.0. My car is going in to the Service Center on Monday & I'm worried that they will install 8.0 even if I tell them not to...

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I have to believe there is a better way to give feedback to Tesla and keep frivolity out of social media.
Clearly Tesla isn't paying attention to what is being written in these forums. Here's an idea. Elon's loves publicity. How about we buy a few full page advertisements, or maybe half page advertisements and plead our case in public regarding the Navigation and Media Player, both of which took major steps backwards with 8.0.

From my experience and reading, AP 8.0 is sort of neutral to 7.1, better in some areas, worse in others, clearly not the breakthrough that EM suggested it would be. As far as I can tell it was just way for Tesla to break with MobilEye, technology A replaced Technology B, but the functionality is about the same. In any case, I don't think the AP should be the subject of public ads, I would limit it to Navigation and Media Player from the perspective of both functionality (features broken, features missing) and UI/UX.

I'm absolutely serious. We could launch a gofundme campaign and all the unhappy Tesla owners who want to send Elon a message can chip in. We'll buy the biggest ad(s) we can afford in the newspapers most likely to capture his attention. We could start with the local Palo Alto paper, and if funding permits, move up to the SJ Mercury, or the WSJ. MS and MX owners both contribute. We'll put together a "top 5" list in both Nav and Media Player for the ad with a link to a web site where we provide a more comprehensive list.

The goal is to publicly shame Tesla into making changes in the software by pleading that these changes are good for customers and thus good for Tesla.

At some point, it's likely car ratings will include the onboard software.

At that point, Tesla could see their ratings drop considerably due to the quality and missing functionality of their software, compared to other manufacturers. Tesla still has the largest displays - and the interface (with minimal configuration support) looks nice - but if there is a feature-by-feature comparison, Tesla may not fare as well.

At some point, it's likely car ratings will include the onboard software.

At that point, Tesla could see their ratings drop considerably due to the quality and missing functionality of their software, compared to other manufacturers. Tesla still has the largest displays - and the interface (with minimal configuration support) looks nice - but if there is a feature-by-feature comparison, Tesla may not fare as well.
I very much agree. Problem is, Tesla isn't (yet) subscribing and a part of things like JD Power -- comparative data today IMHO is only anecdotal by reporters and perhaps with unique studies that say Consumer Reports does.

This is my concern. I am also sticking with 7.1 mainly due to the ruination of the media player in 8.0. My car is going in to the Service Center on Monday & I'm worried that they will install 8.0 even if I tell them not to...

Put several large stickys on your screen, side windows, windshield, etc, that say DO NOT UPGRADE SOFTWARE....and then snap a few photos with your phone before you leave so they can't later say they didn't see the notes.

Clearly Tesla isn't paying attention to what is being written in these forums. Here's an idea. Elon's loves publicity. How about we buy a few full page advertisements, or maybe half page advertisements and plead our case in public regarding the Navigation and Media Player, both of which took major steps backwards with 8.0.

From my experience and reading, AP 8.0 is sort of neutral to 7.1, better in some areas, worse in others, clearly not the breakthrough that EM suggested it would be. As far as I can tell it was just way for Tesla to break with MobilEye, technology A replaced Technology B, but the functionality is about the same. In any case, I don't think the AP should be the subject of public ads, I would limit it to Navigation and Media Player from the perspective of both functionality (features broken, features missing) and UI/UX.

I'm absolutely serious. We could launch a gofundme campaign and all the unhappy Tesla owners who want to send Elon a message can chip in. We'll buy the biggest ad(s) we can afford in the newspapers most likely to capture his attention. We could start with the local Palo Alto paper, and if funding permits, move up to the SJ Mercury, or the WSJ. MS and MX owners both contribute. We'll put together a "top 5" list in both Nav and Media Player for the ad with a link to a web site where we provide a more comprehensive list.

The goal is to publicly shame Tesla into making changes in the software by pleading that these changes are good for customers and thus good for Tesla.

I like the idea but would say its not so much to shame Tesla but to plead with them to listen to their engaged customers who do so much for them that they don't have to advertise ! We are their sales people in essence, we just want them to listen and make this product even better

Reactions: Boatguy
What are the Winamp employees up to right now? According to Wikipedia, the Rio Empeg employees are down in Austin, TX working for SigmaTel. You pair those two groups up to do the media player and prepare to have your socks knocked clean off.
It's unrealistic to think that Tesla would have the resources to dedicate a team solely on media player. We can only hope they fix the current bugs and possibly have a sympathetic ear to new ideas to improve the media player.

Most of my music is tagged using Amazon as source and I think I chose 500x500 or 500x480 were most of the choices. As far as I can tell all my album art shows up.
Yeah. Kind of a bummer. A few years ago as device resolution was scaling up I went back and updated all my tracks to at least 500px wide embedded covers. I don't think any of them work, though admittedly I've only verified a handful because using the USB source is so painful in this release.