Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not with an attitude like that, it isn't....
I'm being realistic. We haven't seen the SDK, mirroring, many of the 7.x bug that were never fixed. And if Elon is true to his words, we may finally see a new browser in December. They have Model 3 on the horizon. Their refresh on the Media Player causes more issues than it fixes although it's going in the right direction. I'd be fine with it for MY needs if they fix the shuffle but I'm probably in the minority.

The Winamp and empeg team had one thing to concentrate on so of course their product is going to be polished.

If they had an SDK out, I'm sure there would be plenty of Media Player options and Tesla wouldn't have to worry about their buggy player.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
All of the same songs, and only the same songs, or are you just saying that it doesn't remember the ones played previously
and thus repeats some, at random?
Some don't believe its a new bug with 8.0. Other threads also report what's happening is with the same set of songs that can potentially be played on a USB device, if you press "random shuffle", Media Player will start playing that track and from there play though what at first appears to be random tracks -- but then if you go off, maybe reboot the CID with the same stick in place, and come back to that same list again, then select the same first song where you originally turned on "random shuffle", the same subsequent sequence of songs you heard the first time is played again... and over and over.

IMHO and others that have coded random number generators, it comes down to Tesla is not using a random-enough seed in its "random shuffle" algorithm. A great workaround is to just select a different song when you begin "random shuffle" and the sequence will become different based on that song you select... In other words, Tesla's "random shuffle" isn't random enough for some of us that pay close attention. ;)

All of the same songs, and only the same songs, or are you just saying that it doesn't remember the ones played previously
and thus repeats some, at random?
Think of it as a playlist. If you press shuffle on once, it plays through one set, if you do it a second time, it's another set. But it's always the same set. I've noticed it happens after you have to turn back on shuffle if it turns off by itself.

I'm being realistic. We haven't seen the SDK, mirroring, many of the 7.x bug that were never fixed. And if Elon is true to his words, we may finally see a new browser in December. They have Model 3 on the horizon. Their refresh on the Media Player causes more issues than it fixes although it's going in the right direction. I'd be fine with it for MY needs if they fix the shuffle but I'm probably in the minority.

The Winamp and empeg team had one thing to concentrate on so of course their product is going to be polished.

If they had an SDK out, I'm sure there would be plenty of Media Player options and Tesla wouldn't have to worry about their buggy player.
Honestly, an SDK for infotainment would basically fix all of this. We could get a working media player and POI on NAV.

This is my concern. I am also sticking with 7.1 mainly due to the ruination of the media player in 8.0. My car is going in to the Service Center on Monday & I'm worried that they will install 8.0 even if I tell them not to...

My car is going in for service soon and when I set it up I requested that they not download 8.0. At the time I was told that they could fulfill the request for now but at some point I will not have a choice -- Tesla will force the latest software on me.

Honestly, an SDK for infotainment would basically fix all of this. We could get a working media player and POI on NAV.
Great idea! If Tesla had an SDK there would be a much better open source media player within weeks! No cost to Tesla (after the SDK creation/documentation) and then we could all act on our complaints. And if people like the factory media player, they can use it.

My car is going in for service soon and when I set it up I requested that they not download 8.0. At the time I was told that they could fulfill the request for now but at some point I will not have a choice -- Tesla will force the latest software on me.
It's so sad. We bought these cars thinking than OTA s/w updates would be be this huge benefit that would allow our cars to constantly evolve and not be frozen at birth. We never considered that Tesla would use OTA to make the car worse and that we'd like to turn back the clock to undo the damage.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
On the XM radio question.

Yes, we've lost the station slider that is still present for AM & XM radio - so once you are listening to one station, you have to single step up or down one station at a time.

The categories list is still there - but seems to be difficult to reach some times - not as intuitive as before when there was a browsing tab.

And, as far as the excuse that Tesla doesn't have enough software developers to produce a good media player - well that was a reasonable excuse four years ago when the first Model S was built. I can pretty much guarantee that prospective Model 3 owners won't accept that excuse - and will expect to see something competitive to the Bolt as far as the onboard software. And while the Tesla software might look better and have better Google satellite maps on a larger display, that may not be enough if Bolt has CarPlay and Android Auto, and Tesla only has basic smartphone integration (phone, media player, some calendar events, ...).

From a customer perspective, I don't care how Tesla does it. Tesla builds a create car - and while they are clearly pushing the envelope on AP (which I don't have on my "classic" P85), Tesla needs to set the same high standard for their onboard software - it needs to look great (which it does, with a few problem areas) AND it needs to be best-in-class in functionality (which is still not the case).

And, with the higher volume of cars that will be manufactured soon, maybe they should outsource more of the software to 3rd parties - and really let someone else take over the media player and the navigation software, with Tesla specifying the customizations needed for the Tesla cars.

An SDK would indeed solve, but predict we will never see. To enable a media player, they'd have to give developers access to files on USB, a window on 17", and access to sound system. With that, you could play movies, couldn't you? Playing movies on driver's display in any car, much less one with auto pilot, is still a verboten safety hazard. Or, maybe there's a way to restrict... I hope so because I want an SDK.

If they have resources to make a transparent car schematic for charging animation, if they have resources for expanding contracting maps screen, then they have resources for media player.
Yes. As some of us have said so many times, this just comes down to a lack of Tesla Management prioritization, and the Tesla Executive Team not yet sufficiently considering true owner and prospective buyer requirements in their decisions.

Like some others, I too, no longer buy that "Tesla has limited resources". Another example is they have the engineers to build and deliver occasional Easter Eggs that are good for nothing more than a quick chuckle and a few blurbs in the press, while real improvements to Infotainment would allow Tesla to at least catch-up with capabilities other auto mfgrs have provided for years.

Most of what we call Infotainment is not rocket science under the covers, and does not require the engineering prowess of people working AP or futuristic hardware design. It does though require thoughtful design and careful testing with a proper cross-section of people that use the functions day-in and out. At a minimum, if the Tesla Executive Team wanted to, they could absolutely maintain a very small team focused initially on catching basic Infotainment capabilities up, then continuously providing ongoing enhancements to keep the primary thing Tesla Owners interact with in their vehicles every day at the forefront -- eventually integrating it in ways with the SpC Network and Tesla infrastructure like no other can do.

IMHO, if Tesla provided little usable Infotainment surprises as other interim under-the-cover changes for the rest of the vehicle are delivered like we are accustomed to -- it would provide a positive reason for Owners and the press to talk even more often. It takes a lot more cost and time to e.g. move the AP pendulum forward on a much more infrequent basis with a big amount of short-term hoopla. It would also give reason why more Owners would look forward to OTA updates, whereas getting "maintenance updates" as we do today without any Owner-visable benefits many times, quickly becomes a ho-hum. As the competition is getting their act together with EV alternatives, there will be increased pressure on Tesla to consider and deliver more real customer requirements, including these less-sexy Infotainment abilities drivers and prospective owners JUST EXPECT to be able to use without workarounds or disappointment. In other words, continual Infotainment improvements could provide many more benefits to Tesla and it's Owners than just catching up on the basics. Elon and his Executive Team just need to get it done and put more smiles on Owner's faces.​

I was thinking that my Rio Riot from fourteen years ago has a better MP3 interface.

upload_2016-10-15_9-18-26.png

I don't like hearing that! All of my files are WMA. Having to re-rip dozens of CDs would take hours and hours. Can anybody point me to conversion software that won't screw everything up?

I've been very happy with MediaMonkey for Windows for many years now. You can set it up to convert formats and replace the original file or save a copy with a different name. Good luck!

An SDK would indeed solve, but predict we will never see. To enable a media player, they'd have to give developers access to files on USB, a window on 17", and access to sound system. With that, you could play movies, couldn't you? Playing movies on driver's display in any car, much less one with auto pilot, is still a verboten safety hazard. Or, maybe there's a way to restrict... I hope so because I want an SDK.

An easy fix would be to prevent video when the car is in motion. Our lighted rear applique is set up that way, any illegal displays are shut down when the car when the car starts.

Clearly Tesla isn't paying attention to what is being written in these forums. Here's an idea. Elon's loves publicity. How about we buy a few full page advertisements, or maybe half page advertisements and plead our case in public regarding the Navigation and Media Player, both of which took major steps backwards with 8.0.

From my experience and reading, AP 8.0 is sort of neutral to 7.1, better in some areas, worse in others, clearly not the breakthrough that EM suggested it would be. As far as I can tell it was just way for Tesla to break with MobilEye, technology A replaced Technology B, but the functionality is about the same. In any case, I don't think the AP should be the subject of public ads, I would limit it to Navigation and Media Player from the perspective of both functionality (features broken, features missing) and UI/UX.

I'm absolutely serious. We could launch a gofundme campaign and all the unhappy Tesla owners who want to send Elon a message can chip in. We'll buy the biggest ad(s) we can afford in the newspapers most likely to capture his attention. We could start with the local Palo Alto paper, and if funding permits, move up to the SJ Mercury, or the WSJ. MS and MX owners both contribute. We'll put together a "top 5" list in both Nav and Media Player for the ad with a link to a web site where we provide a more comprehensive list.

The goal is to publicly shame Tesla into making changes in the software by pleading that these changes are good for customers and thus good for Tesla.

I'm in! Elon and Tesla are totally ignoring the requests of owners especially with regard to infotainment. The Model S infotainment system (navigation and media) is just embarrassing for a car of this class. And that's exactly what I would say to Tesla. EMBARRASSING. Get your act together.

Reactions: William3