TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

8.0 Wifi issues?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Graveworks, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Graveworks

Graveworks New Member

Since upgrading to 8.0 I noticed I've lost my home wifi connection. I've tried forgetting and re-connecting to the network but haven't had any luck - anyone else having this problem? Is it an issue with WEP security?

2. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Same for me (except it's a model-X). Since 8.0, wifi connect for ~5 seconds then go back to LTE. Clicking the icon show a "Wifi Initializing spinning wheel for some seconds".

I did try another wifi router just in case (apple wifi router), same behaviour.
    I did try to reset the main unit screen (no change)

3. mtnbrit

mtnbrit Member

+1 for this, it seems to cycle around being connected for a few seconds, then re-initializing...another v8 surprise feature

4. bredi

bredi Member

+1 on two cars.

5. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Well after sniffing my home network, I can see the tesla doing it's normal data usage. So could be UI only bug

This morning even the no-LTE icon was displayed. Something is definitely bugged

6. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Me again ... Ok, wifi is really in problem, I have checked my wifi router logs and I can see the car connecting and disconnecting several times by hour ;-(

For now, I will just unregister my wifi router and wait for their next software upgrade to retry

7. Graveworks

Graveworks New Member

I had some more time to troubleshoot and it does seem to be a WEP issue. The car connected fine with no security (obviously not an option) and with WPA2 security. As I recall some devices in our house didn't work with WPA2 which is why I went with WEP, but perhaps it's time to reconsider. Or perhaps Tesla could fix the glitch.

8. Graveworks

Graveworks New Member

I should also point out, I don't have sufficient wifi logging tools to see if it actually is connecting via WEP and just not showing a conncection, as others have suggested, but it only shows that it is connected when I go unsecure or WPA2.

9. simonog

simonog Member

Given how insecure WEP is we'd all be advised to use WPA2 unless we have very old devices which do not support it.

10. chwall P90DL

chwall P90DL Member

+1 For WiFi bugginess in 8.0

The behavior shows a faint connection to WiFi (innermost dot on the WiFi fan lit) despite the Apple AirPort Express being within 8 feet of the car. The Airport Express has an "excellent" connection to the main WiFi hub (Apple AirPort Extreme).

When troubleshooting, reconnecting to the WiFi network was very sketchy. A fun way to burn 30-40 minutes and have no clear resolution (not). WPA2 security if someone is keeping score.

11. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

I don't use wep, i use wpa/wpa2 personal

My car do connect, but go back to LTE after 5-10sec and wifi go in initializing spinning wheel

12. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

I have been able to have the car attach to my iphone wifi, and also on my Apple Extreme Invited network (not the main network).

Could be related to subnet ? My main subnet is on 10.128.X.X, invite network is on 172.16.X.X ... Not sure what else could be impacting, but it's just a new sensitivity to something we haven't found (my home network is more like enterprise level... with internal dns and vlans)

13. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Found the issue, and the workaround. If you home wifi network is inside the 10.0.0.0/8 network (precisely, mine was in 10.128.8.XXX), it probably overlap with the internal network of the tesla openvpn subnets and cause a glitch causing the tesla wifi stack to reinitialize.

My workaround have been to create a parallel SSID which provide IP in a more "home normal" subnet: 192.168.1.XXX
    Another good workaround for anyone, if your wifi router support "invited network", you can enable this and attach your tesla to this new SSID