Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$8,000 for a Charger in my Apartment Building: Request for better ideas...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got an estimate back to install a charger in my apartment building, and it came to over $8,000, which isn't feasible. The idea had been to install an outlet in the garage underneath the apartment at my parking space, which would have been great if it had worked, but it doesn't. I do have other options I'm already working on, but I thought I would ask: anybody got any creative ideas for charging a Model 3 when you live in an apartment?

Can you run a heavy duty extension cord? Can you charge at work? Have you checked Plugshare?
The extension cord is a possibility. But that would be a trickle charge, and I have reservations about having my charger more or less continuously in use at night charging my car. A couple years ago, somebody stole my bike from that garage by cutting the chain I used to secure it, so I do have to be aware of theft risks.

I work at home. So no go there.

Good idea to check Plugshare, but no nearby options.

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
How about giving us an idea of how far it is from the power source to your parking space and whether any other power is available closer to your space. This will let us judge if your quote is just ridiculously high and also, if there might be a shorter run, perhaps not to your meter, but to someone else’s power and you might tap onto it and add a meter so you can pay them for the electricity you use.

How about giving us an idea of how far it is from the power source to your parking space and whether any other power is available closer to your space. This will let us judge if your quote is just ridiculously high and also, if there might be a shorter run, perhaps not to your meter, but to someone else’s power and you might tap onto it and add a meter so you can pay them for the electricity you use.
The quote isn't ridiculously high in terms of the work required. Just the fact that it is an apartment building means that the project requires a lot more planning and certification than a private home. I was just hoping for a cheaper way to do it. I made some suggestions, but was told that while they were good ideas in theory, they wouldn't pass code.

Regarding other sources of electricity than running something down from my apartment, I don't see any, but I will look again more closely. I might have missed something.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Good thought. Doesn't work because I don't have my own drier, but really good thought.
Do you have electric range?
BSA Electronics has splitters for both dryer circuits(14-30) and range circuits(14-50). Splitters of 3 types -
1. "dumb" Y splitter / base $160 option, you plug in into both outlets , your breaker trips in the best case... or worst - risk of fire.
2. Manual switch between outlets on the box (Plus option) you have to switch manually for every use...
3. "Plus Auto" option, which disconnects "secondary" outlet as soon as "primary" is put in use... I think this is pretty good and I just ordered one myself to split the circuit on which the sauna sits(a re-purposed electric range circuit).
See here: Electric Range Buddy Plus AUTO #1 Custom 50A NEMA 14-50 2-way splitter, 3.5' 14-50 cable to two 14-50 outlets with kWh meter

I'm using the longest 75' extension cord I could find: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079JBWR6W?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
But there are more choices if you only need 30' or 50'.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Do you own or rent. If it’s yours it might be worth the investment. Plus a positive resale value. If you rent and work from home. What’s your commute? You can charge one a week at the Supercharger if you don’t use the car often.

Do you have electric range
Yes. One of the ideas I propsed to th electrician was to run a line off that circuit for the car. The electrician agreed it made sense in theory (large circuit with uses that wouldn’t really need to be going on at the same time). However, he couldn’t do it that way because it would be a code violation.

The only large circuit with an outlet in a location suitable for an extension cord as-is is the heat pump. Unfortunately, that circuit can’t really be shared since the heat pump needs to be able to run at any time.

But you got me to thinking, maybe there is a workable extension cord solution (avoiding costly changes to the garage) if I could just add a high capacity outlet that was in a suitable location for an extension cord to carry electricity from the apartment to the garage. I’ll look into it. So, thanks for the idea!

Reactions: dhrivnak
Do you own or rent. If it’s yours it might be worth the investment. Plus a positive resale value. If you rent and work from home. What’s your commute? You can charge one a week at the Supercharger if you don’t use the car often.
Rent. So any capital investment I make isn’t mine for the long haul. Anything I do has to make sense in terms of short-term economics.

Rent. So any capital investment I make isn’t mine for the long haul. Anything I do has to make sense in terms of short-term economics.

If u work from home and don’t own current place any investment that is permanent and > $500 is a waste ..use a supercharger weekly or public L2 ....or move to San Diego and have Randy help “PowerYourDrive” ;)