Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.5' Wall connector charges a little faster than 24'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Live in a condo with 208 volts, this wouldn't apply to most 240v applications.

After a couple years, I changed out my 24' cord for an 8.5 just to save clutter. I am now consistently 1-2 volts higher in charge. This should equate to about 1% faster charging and 1% electric savings:)

Reactions: Jedi2155
There's no reason that wouldn't apply to 240V as well. The percentage is just different...
The Tesla is designed for a max charge of 240v x 48a and when the voltage exceeds 240, the car backs the current off. Most 240v services provide just over 240 so by changing to the shorter cord you'd save $ (slightly more than 208 service as amps would drop) but you wouldn't charge any faster. If you drop below 240, then all would apply.

This is actually quite a big deal. If you do the math on even a 1% savings, by the # of wall chargers in use by maybe 20kw added a day, you end up with enough energy savings to power 2000 homes. For model 3 which charges at a lower amperage not as much an issue but the wall charger should have the next gauge up in wire. It would cost less than $5 and save a lot of electricity while benefiting the user. The cost increase of the wall charger would be made back in less than 6 months for most users.

The existing inefficiency is equal to running 100 watt light bulb while your car is charging.

The Tesla is designed for a max charge of 240v x 48a and when the voltage exceeds 240, the car backs the current off.
Depends on the car; it appears only post-facelift S/X chargers work this way. Pre-facelift S's can pull 11kw/charger at up to 277V. 3's can pull 48A on a 277V HPWC

See the checkins for this HPWC - PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You - The 3's are pulling full current, but an S throttled back to 43A @ 272.

Me charging at 277V/80A:
171738.jpg