Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80 Amp Charing for Cybertruck, Tesla WC Gen 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However I am pretty sure they will release an 80 A DC charger
Such a beast would probably cost like $4-5k. Not a terrible idea if they can get the price under control - put the charger on the wall instead of the truck for the people that think they need ~20kw charging speed at home.

I don’t see it as particularly likely. CT gonna ship with 48A onboard charger just like everything else.

Such a beast would probably cost like $4-5k. Not a terrible idea if they can get the price under control - put the charger on the wall instead of the truck for the people that think they need ~20kw charging speed at home.

I don’t see it as particularly likely. CT gonna ship with 48A onboard charger just like everything else.
Wow. So quick to guess.
thisnis supposed to be a new vehicle with new everything. 800 V system. We will see I’m not so quick to guess.
what WE NEED IS FOR TESLA TO TELLS US.

In regard to the earlier discussion of 80 amp charging at home, in 11 years it was hardly used. Set the level at 32 amps and started the charge about 4 AM. The only time 72 amps was needed: when I forgot to plug in the night before. Now a Supercharger is a mile away, a great stop after a long drive if there is not enough time to charge at home.
I have 72 A charging. I have used it several times in the middle of the day for unexpected trips. Also occasionally come home late, and need to leave early in the morning. It is valuable to me.

Most folks live where there are more superchargers; I don’t.

I have 72 A charging. I have used it several times in the middle of the day for unexpected trips. Also occasionally come home late, and need to leave early in the morning. It is valuable to me.

Most folks live where there are more superchargers; I don’t.
I have dual G3 WCs at max 48amp fed from a 125amp subpanel in the garage
When I goto CT and it CAN use 80 amps, I’ll replace one of the 48s with the new WCG4 for 80 amp charging 🤡

What’s complicated? Install a 100 A circuit. “Worst case” is you over-speced the wiring for a 48A charger that needs a 60A line anyway.

No way is Tesla going to offer a residential charging solution that needs more than 100 A.
I have four large garages. Soon to have. 80 amps dedicated to each one for CT and my S. But running out of space in the panel. Looks like I will have to drop it to 50 amps each. need specs from Tesla Now.

For your main panel go 400 amp, 3 phase
Most utilities in US/Canada will not provide 3 phase power to residences. For those that do, it’s 208Y120V, so it would charge more slowly than 240V. 480Y277V is only available for large industrial customers.

3 phase 400 amp service would be 3x400x120 or sqrt(3)x400x208 = 144kw. That’s excessive for any single family home under about 1000 sq meters (11,000 sq feet).

So 3 phase is not a solution to charging faster at home.

If one really needs to charge a Tesla at home faster than 11.5kw, the onboard chargers and wall connectors support voltages up to 277V nominal. At 48A, that would be 13.3kw. However, the onboard chargers are (or were) limited to 12.5kw at higher voltages. So install a 70A or 80A 240V breaker, run wiring sized for the chosen breaker to an autotransformer that‘s 240V primary and 277V secondary, and then hard wire (don’t use a receptacle) a wall connector to the secondary of the transformer (wiring sized for 60A nominal / 48A continuous). Set the wall connector for 48A and charging will be at 12.5kw (or maybe 13.3kw if Tesla have upgraded the onboard chargers). An electrician will try to sell you a transformer rated at 13.3kva or higher. An electrical engineer will tell you that a transformer rated at about 5kva will be fine.

If you’re unfortunate enough to have 3 phase 208Y120V, then get an autotransformer with a 208V primary and 277V secondary.

Most utilities in US/Canada will not provide 3 phase power to residences. For those that do, it’s 208Y120V, so it would charge more slowly than 240V. 480Y277V is only available for large industrial customers.

3 phase 400 amp service would be 3x400x120 or sqrt(3)x400x208 = 144kw. That’s excessive for any single family home under about 1000 sq meters (11,000 sq feet).

So 3 phase is not a solution to charging faster at home.

If one really needs to charge a Tesla at home faster than 11.5kw, the onboard chargers and wall connectors support voltages up to 277V nominal. At 48A, that would be 13.3kw. However, the onboard chargers are (or were) limited to 12.5kw at higher voltages. So install a 70A or 80A 240V breaker, run wiring sized for the chosen breaker to an autotransformer that‘s 240V primary and 277V secondary, and then hard wire (don’t use a receptacle) a wall connector to the secondary of the transformer (wiring sized for 60A nominal / 48A continuous). Set the wall connector for 48A and charging will be at 12.5kw (or maybe 13.3kw if Tesla have upgraded the onboard chargers). An electrician will try to sell you a transformer rated at 13.3kva or higher. An electrical engineer will tell you that a transformer rated at about 5kva will be fine.

If you’re unfortunate enough to have 3 phase 208Y120V, then get an autotransformer with a 208V primary and 277V secondary.

This is an old post and now we know Tesla did not release a new 80 amp WC for the CT
Crazy to think how long to 5-90% charge 123kwh pack in rhe CT
My guess is 10-12 hours
This won’t work with TOU utility charging window
Not great

Reactions: TessP100D
This is an old post and now we know Tesla did not release a new 80 amp WC for the CT
Crazy to think how long to 5-90% charge 123kwh pack in rhe CT
My guess is 10-12 hours
Not great

Unless you live in a house and have quite a few solar panels and powerwalls,
and can charge for free as long you have day light or enough stored electricity.

Note: Since the 800V battery of the Cybertruck has two 400V batteries banks
and uses a Double-pole, double-throw (DPDT) switch to getting efficent charging
when using a 400V supercharger, why not having the possibility to use two separate
L2 plugs to charge independently each battery bank to cut in half, home charging time.

The olderl Model S used to have a two in-board charger option,
so why not having such options, but with two separate plugs,
since some home with two or more EVs might already have two chargers?

I wonder also if the Cybertruck optional additional 50kWh
will have the possibility to get charged independently from the main battery?

Last edited:
Unless you live in a house and have quite a few solar panels and powerwalls,
and can charge for free as long you have day light or enough stored electricity.

Note: Since the 800V battery of the Cybertruck has two 400V batteries banks
and uses a Double-pole, double-throw (DPDT) switch to getting efficent charging
when using a 400V supercharger, why not having the possibility to use two separate
L2 plugs to charge independently each battery bank to cut in half, home charging time.

The olderl Model S used to have a two in-board charger option,
so why not having such options, but with two separate plugs,
since some home with two or more EVs might already have two chargers?

I wonder also if the Cybertruck optional additional 50kWh
will have the possibility to get charged independently from the main battery?

My bad and you are right, with proper management home battery storage permits TOU
Good point

My guess is 10-12 hours
Depends on your rate plan. PG&E (California) has TOU from 9 pm to 3 pm (18 hours). That said, it would be very unusual to need 120 kW each day. Sounds like a lot of commenters here have never had an EV. I'm sure there are a few users that drive 200+ miles every day, but I bet 95% of owners travel less than 20 miles a day.

I wired for 100A 240V service for charging but ended up using a NEMA 6-50 (40 amp charging) with the Gen-1 Moble connector. Then over the years, I've found that was overkill and dialed down the charging to 20amps and start at midnight. In 5 years I've been doing that, I've always ended up with a full charge in the morning, and often it takes less than two hours to charge from the prior day's car usage - even at 20 amps! To be fair, we don't have to drive a lot each day. Sometimes returning from a long trip, it's at a low SOC, but we always have enough for the next day after charging overnight.

Reactions: M CARLING
Pretty sure I already mentioned it in this thread, but vast majority of people will not need to charge 5-90% daily.

Daily overnight charging even within TOU bracket will be more than enough to replenish what was used for the day.

Fair statements
Think it’s about flexibility
Rhe once in a while full charge
Visitors needing to charge

My wife and I share our EV and when we get the CT, epically in the summer running the beach dunes, we will be doing 5-80%
Our TOU window is way smaller 11pm to 6am