Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80 Amp Charing for Cybertruck, Tesla WC Gen 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla determined that there were very few residences that could support 80A charging. Since there are still a large number of homes with 100A panels, this is pretty obvious, but even with 200A panels, 80A is a big chunk of power. It also requires much more expensive wiring.
And since everyone seems to think that a 50A circuit is the minimum you can install today, because that's what the current plugs handle, it actually creates customer dissatisfaction if they can't meet the maximum that the connector can do. The customer things that they are getting short-changed.

Reactions: blodg1 and afadeev
I would also like to see higher amperage, but I think few people would take that option because (1) home charging is usually not in a hurry, such as overnight, and (2) needing a fast charge means you have already driven a lot and need to drive some more, so there is likely to be a supercharger or three somewhere along your itinerary. There is a third reason, also, which is the fact that most Tesla drivers I know just use the darn 32A mobile connector for all of their home charging. That's the slowest charging option and very few people seem to want an upgrade.

Remember that the home connector connects AC power to the charger on the car which also has a maximum amperage rating. To enable faster AC charging on the Cybertruck, Tesla would have to put more powerful onboard chargers on the truck, which is costly and may benefit very few people, or make faster charging an option, which adds options to the line and slows down everything. In the long run they could do one of these things, but there is not much market pressure to do either of them at Cybertruck launch or in the next 1-2 years. I will be pleased if Tesla makes an optional 96A charger on the cybertruck, and a high-power wall connector to match, but I don't expect it for a while.

As we see with all of these larger ev trucks, they all expect have rhe larger chargers on board
1689777733715.png

CT has to have 80 amp charging abilities

As we see with all of these larger ev trucks, they all expect have rhe larger chargers on board
View attachment 957683
CT has to have 80 amp charging abilities
It really doesn't. It's not something that will limit buyers and it's a higher cost. Tesla doesn't provide features just because others do. When Lucid released a 500+ mile car, many said Tesla has to, but Elon said it's not necessary and didn't.

That's not to say they will not, but Ford's inclusion doesn't force Tesla's hand, especially for home charging.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I expect Tesla to beat the competition on specs because the tech is years ahead, but they are also very smart and not wasteful. If they have a cost-optimized 72A charger I would expect them to use it and still beat Ford in miles-per-minute charging due to superior propulsion efficiency. The hummer has a 48A (not relevant to any buyer) and the Rivian has 48A (relevant to me... I'd buy one). Regular F-150 Lightning has... wait for it... 48 amps.

Tesla got rid of the 72A charger years ago because, I assume, few people ever used them for more than 48A. And the 80 amp dual charger on the Ford is exactly like the dual-charger setup Tesla had ten years ago that apparently wasn't popular enough to justify. With the supercharger network rolling out the way it is, and others preparing to adopt NACS, I think the convenience of DC fast charging trumps home AC charging for anyone who is in a hurry. DC fast charging is going to be everywhere and people will prefer it.

If we really do get megawatt DC fast charging on the Cybertruck, I reiterate the above.

the fact that most Tesla drivers I know just use the darn 32A mobile connector for all of their home charging. That's the slowest charging option and very few people seem to want an upgrade.
That's contrary to Elon's friends that he knows "super low usage" of the mobile connector.

Reactions: E90alex
I think quite a few Lightning ER owners don’t even install the 80 amp Charge Station Pro because of the cost and electrical requirements. Especially if they want the V2H integration.

Either way, 48 amp or 80 amp it’s still an overnight charge so there’s little benefit to the increased cost for 80 amp home charging. Cars are likely to be parked at home at least 10-12 hours overnight. And most people won’t need to go 10-100% every day so they will be able to charge to their desired level in much less time than that. If you need a quick top up then it’s much better to stop by a DC fast charger.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I would also like to see higher amperage, but I think few people would take that option because (1) home charging is usually not in a hurry, such as overnight, and (2) needing a fast charge means you have already driven a lot and need to drive some more, so there is likely to be a supercharger or three somewhere along your itinerary. There is a third reason, also, which is the fact that most Tesla drivers I know just use the darn 32A mobile connector for all of their home charging. That's the slowest charging option and very few people seem to want an upgrade.

Remember that the home connector connects AC power to the charger on the car which also has a maximum amperage rating. To enable faster AC charging on the Cybertruck, Tesla would have to put more powerful onboard chargers on the truck, which is costly and may benefit very few people, or make faster charging an option, which adds options to the line and slows down everything. In the long run they could do one of these things, but there is not much market pressure to do either of them at Cybertruck launch or in the next 1-2 years. I will be pleased if Tesla makes an optional 96A charger on the cybertruck, and a high-power wall connector to match, but I don't expect it for a while.
How many times has your current charging solution not been able to complete in time? And of those, how many times would a 2X charge rete helped?
And what size of service do you have?

If FUD gets spread that at 48 amps, you cannot fully charge the CT overnight, meaning eight hours, it would not look good to perspective buyers.

Maybe for the initial deliveries with the bottom trim, 2x motor 350 miles, 48 amps works.
For the later 500 and 600 mile trims, an 80 amp charger will be necessary to keep overnight charging to eight hours or less.

Reactions: TessP100D
If FUD gets spread that at 48 amps, you cannot fully charge the CT overnight, meaning eight hours, it would not look good to perspective buyers.

Maybe for the initial deliveries with the bottom trim, 2x motor 350 miles, 48 amps works.
For the later 500 and 600 mile trims, an 80 amp charger will be necessary to keep overnight charging to eight hours or less.
If there's a 500 or 600 mile trim, that can be a concern then. 500 was initially promised, but never 600.

I think quite a few Lightning ER owners don’t even install the 80 amp Charge Station Pro because of the cost and electrical requirements. Especially if they want the V2H integration.

Either way, 48 amp or 80 amp it’s still an overnight charge so there’s little benefit to the increased cost for 80 amp home charging. Cars are likely to be parked at home at least 10-12 hours overnight. And most people won’t need to go 10-100% every day so they will be able to charge to their desired level in much less time than that. If you need a quick top up then it’s much better to stop by a DC fast charger.

And to top it off, About 50% of the US population's commutes allows them to charge on a 120V 15A plug. (60 miles/day)

Would be nice to have but i doubt it'll happen..

I love my 72amp onboard/Gen2 WC combo, saved me from going to SC few times
I don't need it often but i like to have that option, i'm sure many other too judging by how overpriced Gen2s are on eBay

Would be nice if Tesla simply left it as an option to configure ur car...

I also disagree with their claims of ppl not using 80A or not needing Mobile connector
As soon as they announced MC won't be included, it instantly sold out lol... that tells opposite story...

Reactions: TessP100D