Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80 miles of battery drain in 5 days. Apparently normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my 2017 Model X 100D serviced in Toledo. Dropped off with 155-160 miles of range left and today, 5 days later it's at 75. No test drives were taken either. Tesla service told me that is normal battery drain. I can't imagine it is though. With that math, I better not leave my car at an airport for over a week! I had them checking the battery because I was getting 65kwh charge speed at super chargers. This was the response overall:

"We found no issues with your HV battery while it was in for service. The battery drain is due to the cold weather and the battery maintaining proper temperature for operation. This is normal operation. We'll do our best to get it plugged in and charged for you before you arrive, but we are limited on charging right now. Good news is there is a supercharger only 2 miles away from the service center."

Anyway, is this your experience as well?

My Raven X drains 1 mile over 48 hrs. At around 45F and 60% SOC.

Definitely not normal.

Makes me sick Tesla told you that is normal.

They should have a single button for “Please Sleep and don’t drain my battery”. And it shuts all those battery drain features off and it tells you what it turned off.

Excellent idea. You can send a request through the Tesla app. May be an "Away Mode" button that reduces the energy drain to a minimum.

Make sure to turn off sentry mode and smart summon standby mode. Both of these keep the car from sleeping.
These two features that they added are monster energy drain factors, and they are on by default, and I don't think a lot of people know how bad they are when they are recharging daily, so it catches them way off guard when they leave their car unplugged for several days, and those beasts bite them.

I would second (third?) the idea for a one touch "Away Battery Saver" button to handle this instead of forcing people to have to go and find about four different settings to turn off. That seems really necessary at this point with how many of these battery sucking advanced features the newer cars have. My old pre-autopilot car doesn't have any of these things, so having any of these settings on or off doesn't make very much difference and wasn't something people used to have to worry about.

Definitely not normal.

Makes me sick Tesla told you that is normal.

Well, yes it is. That answer is shortened, but the more full answer is: "For the way you have the settings turned on with your car right now, that is normal operation. If you want it to not drain so fast like that, you will need to change some of those settings."