Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9/17 Accessory hitch now optional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I care about it! A lot of people have not had much experience towing, but if you have, then software to help with swaying is very nice indeed.

Yeah, I haven't towed much. I WANT to though (came close several times to putting the eco hitch on the S). Not having done much towing, this feature sounds good, but I have no frame of reference.

To be accurate, the 3 seats in the second row is NOT a bench, but three independent seats. And the two seat option doesn't say anything about "captain's chairs" but just says there will be two seats with a space between them. Will they have arm rests? Who knows?
I think Mark Z noted that he was told that the 3 seat middle row is a single unit bench, not 3 independent chairs. This was in the 6 seat thread.

One question remains, though.

2" receiver is described as "removable".
The accessory hitch is described as "factory installed".
The option says "when not installed", but that text is listed as part of the option and then below the break they reiterate "factory installed" again.

"Factory installed" implies to me something that isn't easily removable, but "when not installed" implies that it can be uninstalled.

Is this a case of:

- base car has diffuser permanently installed
- simple (low cost or free) option to permanently install a very simple bolt-on 1.25" hitch
- more expensive option to include a full tow package which includes a more complicated removable 2" hitch (possibly with a diffuser that can be used when removed)

Or, is it a case of:

- base car has diffuser in place of hitch, can be removed for either hitch
- low cost or free option to include a 1.25" removable hitch
- more expensive option to include full tow package with 2" removable hitch

Most cars that have after-market hitches available, the hitch bolts onto 3 or 4 parts of the frame and you leave it on permanently. It could be unbolted, but it is too much of a hassle to add and remove as you need it. Many of them come as "hidden hitches" which basically are recessed back from the bumper so they aren't as visible when not in use - the intention being that they can be left installed all the time and remain discreet, but still installed, when not in use. Note that the hidden hitches don't always work with all accessories since many are manufactured for decent clearance only if the receiver opening is even with the back of the vehicle. This has actually impacted me in my search for a bike rack because I originally opted for a hidden-style hitch as the rack I originally purchased had a long tongue, but later I wanted a nicer rack and only a couple came with a tongue long enough to clear my bumper when folded.

The X obviously has the capability for a removable hitch, based on the description of the tow package, but the mechanism for that may not be simple or cheap and so they may only bother with it if you opt for the full tow package. Does the description of the base accessory sound like the 1.25" receiver is a bolt-on "not really removable" hitch or not? My gut feel is "not", but I may be reading too much into it.

Also, the picture of the 1.25" hitch does not look as recessed as most of the hidden hitches that I've seen, which might lead some to prefer a removable hitch for looks when it isn't in use.

The Torklift Hidden Ecohitch that we have on our Model S has a removable receiver. It sticks out the bottom of the bumper like a normal Hitch (not recessed under the car like you describe). When the receiver is removed there are no protrusions from inside the bumper. See the link: Torklift Central | 2012-2015 Tesla Model S EcoHitch - Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch® - Trailer Hitch and Towing and the optional cover for the hole in the bumper: Torklift Central | The Undercover X7223

Model X motortrend.com picture that I downloaded the high def version of. then Cntl+plused.

Kind of curious about it as I was thinking of towing a 3500 lbs car on a flat trailer.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/4ZFaJx3.jpg
4ZFaJx3.jpg

I am happy to see the size change in the accessory hitch. (1.25" to 2") As for the price increase. There is bound to be more on the horizon. He/She who hesitates pays more. Good things do come to those who wait, but everything has limits.

The description kept waffling back and forth between 1.25" and 2" last month.

While I'm not excited about the price increase, I can understand it and they probably should've charged for it all along. Now, many buyers would see the tow package is only $550 more so perhaps some of them will go ahead and splurge on the tow package on the chance that they might need it some day. I wasn't previously considering the tow package but since the second row seats don't fold, I might be needing a trailer to haul things around. Perhaps I'll be getting the tow package after all.

I can understand it and they probably should've charged for it all along. Now, many buyers would see the tow package is only $550 more so perhaps some of them will go ahead and splurge on the tow package on the chance that they might need it some day. I wasn't previously considering the tow package but since the second row seats don't fold, I might be needing a trailer to haul things around. Perhaps I'll be getting the tow package after all.

*Sheepishly nods and raises hand...