Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9/29 2017 IAC - Elon: Interplanetary Plans Pt. 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
14:00 - 15:00 GNF – Elon Musk Presentation Location: Adelaide Convention Centre – Halls A, B, C & D

Following up on his presentation at the last year's IAC in Guadalajara, Elon Musk, CEO and Founder of SpaceX, will give an update on his plans for "Making Humans a Multiplanetary Species".

Organised by: SpaceX Speaker: Elon Musk CEO and Founder, SpaceX, United States
Moderator Jean-Yves Le Gall President, International Astronautical Federation (IAF), France

Website for the conference:
International Astronautical Congress - 25-29 September 2017, Adelaide, Australia

Link to 85 page program for the conference:
http://www.iac2017.org/site/Default...s/IAC2017_FP_Main-Programme_Sept2017FINAL.pdf

So Australia is in a significantly different time zone from the USA. Here is the time as best I can figure:
The presentation takes place at 2:00 PM local time.
This is 9:30 PM on the 28th for those on the West Coast
This is 12:30 AM for those on the East Coast
Adelaide is +9.5 hours UTC.

Last edited by a moderator:
14:00 - 15:00 GNF – Elon Musk Presentation Location: Adelaide Convention Centre – Halls A, B, C & D

Following up on his presentation at the last year's IAC in Guadalajara, Elon Musk, CEO and Founder of SpaceX, will give an update on his plans for "Making Humans a Multiplanetary Species".

Thanks for posting the presentation info. Any statements or rumors you've heard as to them live streaming Musk's talk?
I'd stay up for it.

Falcon Heavy
miniBFR
BFR
Hurry up!!

I'm speculating again but I think SpaceX will call the design they unveil at this years IAC as the BFR/BFS. The ITS designation is what was shown last year and was entirely focused on Mars colonization. The BFR/BFS will be a multi-purpose role design and since F9 and FH is a multi-purpose design then it makes sense to designate this as a "Bigger" version. Other than an initial "mini" ITS which then became the "mini" BFR, I think SpaceX will just go with BFR/BFS for the new rocket.

Elon just had a few teaser tweets about the presentation. The two points other than a repeat of last years simulation is that we'll be surprised at some of the capabilities and that he will show more footage of the Raptor.

Looking forward to comparing Elon's 2016 and 2017 IAC presentations. Pulled up the conference thread from last year. It has some interesting comments and links.
Elon speaking on 09-27-2016 at the IAS

Got a real kick out of the link posted last September by ecarfan, a PG rated Tim Urban piece. BFR/BFB/BFS, are all described here in humorous detail. SpaceX's Big ****ing Rocket – The Full Story - Wait But Why
So what does it mean if Elon's 2017 presentation reveals a final design name designation? It just might provide some relief for what Urban refers to as BFC.

Reactions: Grendal
The fact that Elon tweeted promoting last years ITS simulation video made me wonder: why would he do that if the revised plan is not very similar to the plan he announced last year?

Last years video demonstrated a two stage vehicle to orbit. It also showcased a different type of reentry and powered landing compared to the current reentry done by Dragon, Dragon 2, and the powered landing Dragon 2 which has been dropped. It also showcased "in orbit" refueling and a powered landing by the booster back at the launch pad. All of which is different from the current F9 and the FH.

So I expect to see all of those features present in the new design. Last years video did not show the ITS tanker reentry but it would also use a sideways Earth reentry. I expect to see this in the new video showing the BFR/BFS. I expect this will be the way they will recover the second stage.

I wonder if the new BFS will have cargo doors similar to the Space Shuttle. That would alleviate the need for costly fairings. I also wonder whether they will build a separate crew version of BFS or will they have a crew module that works with a standardized BFS? That would save a lot of money over building a separate crew BFS. The same for a tanker. A tanker module or a separate tanker BFS?

Q&A following and is it open to web attendees? I've got a shortlist of 3 I'd love to field presenter. We know Elon loves answering ?'s as long as the water holds out. Lol ish.

after Part 1 (random questions about toilets and electric busses on earth and other such low quality questions), I'd guess that press only will be allowed to ask questions if there is any sort of live Q&A or the questions will be vetted before the presentation if any are accepted from a pre presentation process.

I can't imagine anyone will allow questions from web attendees after the presentation. Though there will surely be an AMA on reddit in the next few days so you could ask there.

Here is last years post AMA I am Elon Musk, ask me anything about becoming a spacefaring civ! • r/spacex

Yeah. There will be no live audience questions. The questions will be pre-screened for relevancy. This will be happening more and more often for Elon's presentations. We've already seen it happen a few times in the last year ever since the questioning debacle of last year.

To find out when the presentation is for you, you can click on the webcast and YouTube will figure out where you are and the countdown will adjust to your location.

Yeah. There will be no live audience questions. The questions will be pre-screened for relevancy. This will be happening more and more often for Elon's presentations. We've already seen it happen a few times in the last year ever since the questioning debacle of last year.

To find out when the presentation is for you, you can click on the webcast and YouTube will figure out where you are and the countdown will adjust to your location.
I'm cool with prescreen if there's protocol to submit yet. I'm EST so presentation's 12:30AM. I've already presented ?'s to one other presenter whose lecture wasn't webcasting.

I am told by people in the know that Elon will be doing an AMA on Reddit sometime after the presentation. It may be a few days afterward.

Steve Jurvetson and Elon just dropped a spoiler that Elon will be doing a "one more thing" at the end. It will tell how it will all be paid for. I expect there is a big money project or some big way to generate lots of funds SpaceX and Elon have come up with.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo