Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9 months and counting to get a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a model Y in April 2021. The 1st of every date was June 2021. This date slipped to August 2021, then September 2021 and currently they are estimating either December or January of 2022.

Their customer support and information is deplorable. It's difficult to get information out of them other than telling me that they are waiting on the vin number.

I'm considering moving on to a different car Because I'm afraid this could go on for more than a year. They won't provide any information on why delivery is delayed and they are untrustworthy with regard to any promised delivery date.

I ordered a model Y in April 2021. The 1st of every date was June 2021. This date slipped to August 2021, then September 2021 and currently they are estimating either December or January of 2022.

Their customer support and information is deplorable. It's difficult to get information out of them other than telling me that they are waiting on the vin number.

I'm considering moving on to a different car Because I'm afraid this could go on for more than a year. They won't provide any information on why delivery is delayed and they are untrustworthy with regard to any promised delivery date.
That sounds so frustrating. Have you considered buying a used one? That’s the route I ultimately went after my EDD kept bouncing around. Conditions aren’t ideal but it beats waiting nine months+.

Where are you located? Which SC is your delivery location?

Well, this does not giv eme much hope, I ordered mine end of July and the EDD kept on jumping around and now is gone. I am suspecting I will not see mine till next spring or summer. I ended up buying a Mach E for the time being and will decide whihc one to keep once I have a VIN and delivery date. It is quite frustrating that they cannot tell you when the car will manufactuered.

Reactions: captanzuelo
Do you actually own or have driven the Mach-e? When that car is powered on there is a ringing in your ear that never quits. You can even hear it with the radio and air both turned up. It was an absolute deal breaker. The B&O sound system is subpar along with the infotainment system. Drive a Mach-e and Model Y side by side and you will choose the Tesla 100% of the time... The best way I can explain the ringing the car emits is an old TV. You could tell that a TV was on in the other room or was on even if it was muted. That "ringing" it would emit but the Mach-E is ten-fold that. There will be many un-happy consumers if they order/take delivery without actually driving it. I imagine the lightning may be they share the same technologies.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

I am in the same boat. I ordered a MY LR on June 28th. EDD is December 21 - Jan 10 2022.
Customer service said "The EDD on the website is the expectation that we want to set with the customer."

Wow, that is so pathetic! And no one can give you some legitimate insight into wtf is going on?

i mean *sugar*, they can’t offer your a low mileage demo mode right now with a solid discount.

i just put my order in with a EDD of Feb. Currently I’m anticipating April (pure speculation). If I ever see EDD of June I’m out.
Good luck

Ordered my model Y on May 31st in the LA area. The configuration was midnight silver metallic, long range, black, 5 seats and no tow hitch.

here is my timeline, the EDD would keep moving out 2-3 weeks each time it got closer...my main gripe is if Tesla is actually a tech/software company, then it should have very good estimation capability, crunch all the data and give better estimates, sigh. I was also getting ready to jump ship, went to local Audi to inquire about etron, good or bad, they didn't have any available either (new or used)...

1632776855749.png

If you follow the thread here, and analyze the profiles of the posters, it's 90 days give or take from order to delivery, with a few odd ones out there. There may be one April or May order left but otherwise, July orders seem to be receiving vins lately.

And as others above have asked, I hope the profile is complete for the OP, since that wait time seems completely out of whack!

Considering the OP never responded to any questions, I have to assume they never completed their registration, or made changes to their order after ordering - changing the delivery timeframe.

Instead of whining/threatening on this forum to take their business somewhere else — Who here cares if they do, honestly? This is an unofficial forum for buyers. — they should call support and ask for clarification on whether there is an issue with their profile.

I have no empathy for anyone who just whines, and doesn’t even respond to other people asking questions in a thread they started.

Ordered my model Y on May 31st in the LA area. The configuration was midnight silver metallic, long range, black, 5 seats and no tow hitch.

here is my timeline, the EDD would keep moving out 2-3 weeks each time it got closer...my main gripe is if Tesla is actually a tech/software company, then it should have very good estimation capability, crunch all the data and give better estimates, sigh. I was also getting ready to jump ship, went to local Audi to inquire about etron, good or bad, they didn't have any available either (new or used)...

View attachment 715080
Odd, Tesla ways are difficult to understand. I ordered same day as you and had delivery in less than a month. Timeline & specs in signature.

Odd, Tesla ways are difficult to understand. I ordered same day as you and had delivery in less than a month. Timeline & specs in signature.
You my friend, may be the lucky one here. Less than 30 days from order to delivery. Insane! Maybe somebody cancelled theirs and it fell in your lap..... I have seen May orders go around 90 days, some even went to 120.

Considering the OP never responded to any questions, I have to assume they never completed their registration, or made changes to their order after ordering - changing the delivery timeframe.

Instead of whining/threatening on this forum to take their business somewhere else — Who here cares if they do, honestly? This is an unofficial forum for buyers. — they should call support and ask for clarification on whether there is an issue with their profile.

I have no empathy for anyone who just whines, and doesn’t even respond to other people asking questions in a thread they started.
I ordered July 16 and waiting on my VIN with an EDD that has moved around weekly. Current EDD is below. No Big Deal. This is the way it works.

If emotions drive your car buying decisions, there are plenty of car sales folk who are glad to take your money.

Bottom line...
Read the friggen documents and follow the process. The MDY is IMHO the best car under $100k...and it costs about half that. Plus, you will get better info about delivery logistics here than from a SA.

Agreed! We all knew what the speculated EDD was, when we placed our orders.
We ordered two cars on the same day. One was a M3 and the other a MY. M3 was delivered last month, and still waiting for MY. I know there are other cars out there, but do I really want to get those and then regret? No, I would make sure I did everything correct on my end, in order to be in queue to get my car. Specially after having test driven at a SC, and then driven the received M3. No way am I switching. I am too far into the wait lol.

And I will tell you, I am without a car right now, since I sold mine. I am still waiting for my beauty to show up.
The best thing I have done, was join the forum here and kept sane while chatting with fellow Tesla owners, new or existing, and realizing I am not alone in this. This time will pass. From the sounds of the folks here, the wait agony vanishes the moment you get your precious!

Hang on tight my friends! It will be a good holiday season, at our own expense ;). Let's just think of it this way! 🤗