Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 and 75 battery packs getting nerfed early???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of my charging has been via a NEMA 14-50. That's 40 amps at 240 volts. I have made probably ten or twelve trips between NJ and Charleston SC, and two trips from NJ to Wyoming, the last in July 2019. My early 2016 90 kw battery charged at a maximum rate of 95 kw (for maybe 10-15% added charge) before it starts tapering. This from a varying but generally low state of charge - 10-20%. By the time I hit 55%, I'm tapered back into the 60 kw range, and as I approach 80-90% I'm lucky to be getting a charge rate in the 40 kw range.

During my July trip, I spent fully one third of my road time sitting at superchargers. Tesla has degraded the charging rates of the earlier 90 kw batteries to the point that the cars are nearly unsuitable for long-distance driving. In fact, the convenience of autopilot, limited as my 1.0 is, is the ONLY reason the car is used for any long range driving.

Yes, they protect the battery, which is to say they protect themselves from having to replace batteries of an obviously flawed and insufficiently-field-tested design, while saying to hell with the impact their actions have on their customers.

And these recent updates that apparently improve charging time for many cars - not one whit of improvement for the early 90 kw owners as far as I can determine.

I ran into another guy at a supercharger in West Virginia on my way home who also had an early 90 kw battery, and he said he's watching to see if anyone files a class-action suit against Tesla for this particular issue.

Tesla should make this right by swapping out these flawed batteries for the apparently better V3 versions, or if theose are unavailable (likely) perhaps offering to swap out for a 100 kw battery while charging the customer for the capacity upgrade - around $3-4k, as I recall.

Until they at least offer some form of compensation / offset for what they've done to the early 90 kw batteries, I can no longer recommend the car to anyone.

Last edited: