Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 and 75 battery packs getting nerfed early???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had DC charged 6,315kW through last December with max charge rate of about 105kW on my S90D. There was no supercharging in January-March. There were 8 supercharge stops in April at 5 different chargers, all with max charge rate of 93kW.

I record how much I supercharge at each stop but only occasionally record the time spent charging. The 3 April stops where I recorded charge time did not seem out of line vs. earlier stops. Even though that's a small sample size, when you consider variation in superchargers, tapering, etc., the hard to discern time slowdown is far from the point where I would choose not to make a trip I had made previously.

Of course I don't know if there would be further slowdowns as the car ages further. In my case it's a moot point as I'm turning the S90D in next month under the Resale Value Guarantee. I expect to get a new 370 mile range Model S in August or September.

I had DC charged 6,315kW through last December with max charge rate of about 105kW on my S90D. There was no supercharging in January-March. There were 8 supercharge stops in April at 5 different chargers, all with max charge rate of 93kW.

I record how much I supercharge at each stop but only occasionally record the time spent charging. The 3 April stops where I recorded charge time did not seem out of line vs. earlier stops. Even though that's a small sample size, when you consider variation in superchargers, tapering, etc., the hard to discern time slowdown is far from the point where I would choose not to make a trip I had made previously.

Of course I don't know if there would be further slowdowns as the car ages further. In my case it's a moot point as I'm turning the S90D in next month under the Resale Value Guarantee. I expect to get a new 370 mile range Model S in August or September.

You guys also realize that most Supercharger pedestals do NOT run at 100%. Most are in the 80-90% range. If you're not seeing full charging rates, try calling Tesla Support and asking them which pedestals at your Supercharger are running at 100%.

Reactions: David99
It's been a while, but I called 877-798-3752

Yeah, that number. I've taken several road trips, as well as travel often for business. Literally EVERY single Supercharger has at least 1 pedestal that does not run at 100% for whatever reason... some have 8/10 or 6/8 pedestals that are not at 100%. They'll gladly tell you which ones are if you ask them which are running at 100% power.

My S85 with ~125k miles and my brother's P85 with ~250k miles each have no throttling.

Over 90% of his 250k miles have been traveled on SuC electrons.

I'm willing to bet money that your battery is also throttled, just differently. The old 85 packs are throttled differently. The peak rate is the same as when new, but the taper is faster and earlier. What is your charge rate at a supercharger when you battery is at 50%?

Here is a graph showing old vs new
newVSold.png

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Hard to tell from these graphs, but here are some of my Supercharge sessions:

4/11/2019 - 53k miles - 37 degrees outside - 1%-80%. Peak 110kWh@42%. Note that I have a verified 100% Supercharger.
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 6.23.50 AM.png

4/11/2019 - 53k miles - 54 degrees outside - 23%-86%. Peak 106kWh@42%
upload_2019-5-14_6-30-4.png

6/23/2018 - 33k miles - 86 degrees outside - 18%-94%. Peak 110kWh@38%.

upload_2019-5-14_6-35-42.png

10/29/2017 - 12k miles - 49 degrees outside - 14%-81%. Peak 108kWh@29-43%.

upload_2019-5-14_6-40-51.png

Looking at these numbers, I'm not 100% sure that there has been much effect on my Supercharging. The only possible conclusion is that the duration of the fastest portion of the charge has decreased, but the peak has not.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-14_6-29-28.png
    upload_2019-5-14_6-29-28.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 71
  • upload_2019-5-14_6-35-23.png
    upload_2019-5-14_6-35-23.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
I have a V3 pack on my 90D and I'd say at least 30% of my total charging history is at SuCs and not only have I not experienced any throttling whatsoever, but yesterday at Magog SuC I peaked for a while at 115kW, something I had never seen before. I would *sometimes* briefly see a spike at 110kW, on rarer occasions at 112kW, but usually 108-109kW was the max I would see.

Taper still occurs the same way at around 55% SOC.

I conclude thus far I have not been subjected to throttling with 125,000km travelled. :)

I have a V3 pack on my 90D and I'd say at least 30% of my total charging history is at SuCs and not only have I not experienced any throttling whatsoever, but yesterday at Magog SuC I peaked for a while at 115kW, something I had never seen before. I would *sometimes* briefly see a spike at 110kW, on rarer occasions at 112kW, but usually 108-109kW was the max I would see.

I conclude thus far I have not been subjected to throttling with 125,000km travelled. :)

Weird question, but my 90D was one of the last sold in July, 2017. How did you manage to get one in September?!?!

Weird question, but my 90D was one of the last sold in July, 2017. How did you manage to get one in September?!?!
I ordered it the day before the 90kWh pack was discontinued and chose a September delivery (delivered Sept 29) as I was not in a hurry to get it delivered.

Turns out that was a good thing: In the meantime many options had been changed/repackaged: Air suspension became standard, leather seats were replaced with vegan (they are holding up in an amazing way), a new front motor was introduced and AP2.5 went into production which my 90D has. On top of it, since they had started downpricing inventory 90Ds they also dropped the price on my car by $10k from when I ordered.

We were starting to wonder, since mine was one of the very last 90Ds produced, if I wouldn't end up with a software-limited 100D, but that wasn't the case.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I ordered it the day before the 90kWh pack was discontinued and chose a September delivery (delivered Sept 29) as I was not in a hurry to get it delivered.

Turns out that was a good thing: In the meantime many options had been changed/repackaged: Air suspension became standard, leather seats were replaced with vegan (they are holding up in an amazing way), a new front motor was introduced and AP2.5 went into production which my 90D has. On top of it, since they had started downpricing inventory 90Ds they also dropped the price on my car by $10k from when I ordered.

We were starting to wonder, since mine was one of the very last 90Ds produced, if I wouldn't end up with a software-limited 100D, but that wasn't the case.

Very cool story! You definitely have a unicorn - 90D with AP2.5.

If you read the comments you can see there are people with both 100 and 85 that all say they see throttling. My guess is it is something that happens to all the cars at some point, the question is how much and at what point. My guess is also that the 75 packs that were made at the same time as the 90 packs share some of the same issues that have been reported for the 90 pack, the current 75 pack should be the same chemistry as the current 100 pack.

Also even with the car in question in the video all they say is that throttling starts at 2625 kWh, that doesn't mean it instantly goes down by a lot.
The 85's and 100's only seem to do this throttling after A LOT of miles and a mega ton of supercharging when the pack has gone through a good amount of degredation.

75 packs and 90 packs do this throttling very early compared to 85's/90's is what the concern or these posts.

Case in point: I'm currently Supercharging at Drummondville SC (rated 120kW) and peaked briefly at 121kW but had a real nice peak maintained at up to 120kW for about 100km worth of range. Significant taper started earlier however, at around 45% SOC, below 100kW.

Attachments

• IMG_20190515_1651290.jpg
    IMG_20190515_1651290.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 77