Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 Watt vs 100 Watt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have good information about the difference in range between a 100-kWh and a 90-kWh battery in a Model S? Is it roughly 45 miles? I have a 2015 model S 70D that I will probably upgrade. There is a big difference in cost between the 90 and the 100...trying to decide if it is worth it. Right now on a full charge I get 212 miles or so, and the charging speeds are slow. It works great for local driving, but road trips take a lot longer.

Last edited:
Does anyone have good information about the difference in range between a 100-watt and a 90-watt battery in a Model S? Is it roughly 45 miles? I have a 2015 model S 70D that I will probably upgrade. There is a big difference in cost between the 90 and the 100...trying to decide if it is worth it. Right now on a full charge I get 212 miles or so, and the charging speeds are slow. It works great for local driving, but road trips take a lot longer.
I have a 2016 90D. With so many superchargers now available, if cost is a factor, stick with the 90 kWh; the few extra miles no longer make that much difference (IMHO). Two-2 1/2 hours is about my max butt time so 90kWh does the trick.
I had, and sold, a 100D for many reasons but xtra range made no difference.
And as @spsheridan pointed out battery size is measured in kilo watt hours (kWh) not kilo watts (kW).

Reactions: springdaisy82
Does anyone have good information about the difference in range between a 100-kWh and a 90-kWh battery in a Model S? Is it roughly 45 miles? I have a 2015 model S 70D that I will probably upgrade. There is a big difference in cost between the 90 and the 100...trying to decide if it is worth it. Right now on a full charge I get 212 miles or so, and the charging speeds are slow. It works great for local driving, but road trips take a lot longer.
Oh, and I neglected to answer one of your questions: 30 miles would probably be more like the difference. My car uses about 300Wh/mi (or a little more than 3 miles/kWh so 3 x 10Kwh=30 miles range increase.

Oh, and I neglected to answer one of your questions: 30 miles would probably be more like the difference. My car uses about 300Wh/mi (or a little more than 3 miles/kWh so 3 x 10Kwh=30 miles range increase
That being the case, it does seem like 90 kWh is the way to go. What about charging speeds? Is it likely both would be roughly the same? That is one of the most significant issues for me with the 70D.

That being the case, it does seem like 90 kWh is the way to go. What about charging speeds? Is it likely both would be roughly the same? That is one of the most significant issues for me with the 70D.
Initial connection on 90D will usually peak about 120Kw then gradually taper off. I think the 100D (2017 100D vs 2016 90D) was roughly the same but perhaps a current 100D owner can chime in. From about 10-15% State of Charge SoC to about 50% Soc will take about 15 min.

The current 100 kWh (LR/Plaid) peaks at 250 kW. I thought all the prior Model S with 100 kWh packs also get 250 kW charging, but I could be wrong. Charging is quite a bit faster, especially at 10% to 60% SOC than prior generation cars that were limited to 120-150 kW charging. That said, unless you do lots of long-distance traveling, I'm not sure I'd spend any extra to go from 90 to 100 kWh. Also if you are upgrading an older car to a 100 kWh pack, you may not get full 250 kW charging as there may be other limitations (wiring, contactors, etc.).

The current 100 kWh (LR/Plaid) peaks at 250 kW. I thought all the prior Model S with 100 kWh packs also get 250 kW charging, but I could be wrong. Charging is quite a bit faster, especially at 10% to 60% SOC than prior generation cars that were limited to 120-150 kW charging. That said, unless you do lots of long-distance traveling, I'm not sure I'd spend any extra to go from 90 to 100 kWh. Also if you are upgrading an older car to a 100 kWh pack, you may not get full 250 kW charging as there may be other limitations (wiring, contactors, etc.).

... not really, no. Only the "Raven" model S/X forward will get 200kW+ charging rates. The prior models do not -- due to exactly what you said, wiring, contactors, etc.

Even the Raven S/X really only top at about 225kW charging, and briefly at that before a quick taper.

My max with 100kWh pack is +-140kW until +-40% SOC, on 50% I still have 100+kW. Much more than on 90kWh pack. Also the capacity difference is more likely 15kWh, not 10 like you might think from the label reading. Also the 100kWh packs are generaly more robust. When consisering such upgrade, I'd never go into 90kWh. For local driving, as you mentioned, is also 70kWh ok. If you want to do road trips, then you're gonna be amazed by 100kWh performance;)