Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D shows 164 ideal miles at 50% battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey good folks, I bought my X last week and I have driven around 550miles on it so far. I have learnt to switch the dash to show either battery percentage or remaining miles (I can choose ideal or rated range). I also learnt that ideal miles is a better metric as that is based on the w/mile rate based on my driving.

With that, since I am averaging a 440 w/mile I was expecting the car to show me around 100miles in the ideal range at 50% battery level . But it shows me 160 miles. Why is that so? Do. I have a bug?

Attachments

• IMG_20170119_182512.jpg
    IMG_20170119_182512.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20170119_182626.jpg
    IMG_20170119_182626.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20170119-185340.png
    Screenshot_20170119-185340.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 43
Hey good folks, I bought my X last week and I have driven around 550miles on it so far. I have learnt to switch the dash to show either battery percentage or remaining miles (I can choose ideal or rated range). I also learnt that ideal miles is a better metric as that is based on the w/mile rate based on my driving.

With that, since I am averaging a 440 w/mile I was expecting the car to show me around 100miles in the ideal range at 50% battery level . But it shows me 160 miles. Why is that so? Do. I have a bug?

Where did you get the idea that "Ideal" was based on your driving? It isn't.

Here is a post in an old thread that describes things well:

Ideal - how far the car will go if driven at a steady 55 mph on level ground at moderate temperatures.

Rated - how far the EPA says the car will go given their tests. Equals 88% of Ideal. Just a slightly more conservative version of Ideal.

Projected - how far the car calculates you will go if you keep consuming power at the rate you are currently. The distance it is calculated over can be adjusted by changing the graph settings. This is useful on long trips when you are driving in a consistent fashion (e.g. highway). If Projected is greater than the distance remaining on the GPS, then you are going to make it to your destination. If not, either slow down or stop and charge!

Both Ideal and Rated give an indication of how much power remains in your battery. Projected depends on how you've been driving, weather, heater use, etc.

@Andyw2100 would you know what basis the nav determines the remaining battery? is that based on the projected usage?

When you have the navigation running with a destination, if you use the power view on the 17" display, and switch from "Consumption" to "Trip" you will see your projected battery usage, and whether you are doing better or worse than the projection.

And even without a trip in progress, on the power screen, you can see at the far right how much range the car believes you have remaining, based on recent usage.

When you have the navigation running with a destination, if you use the power view on the 17" display, and switch from "Consumption" to "Trip" you will see your projected battery usage, and whether you are doing better or worse than the projection.

And even without a trip in progress, on the power screen, you can see at the far right how much range the car believes you have remaining, based on recent usage.

Yeah i have seen that, but not yet clear as on what numbers does the nav calculated the estimated power remaining at the destination.