Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs P90D acceleration curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see data for a P85 vs 90D. They are supposed to be pretty similar. Might be fun to throw in some other common sports cars as well and make some nifty graphs.

While I don't have any technical data, We have both. They are similar, both are stated as 4.2 seconds in 0-60. Although my wife thinks the 90D is quicker, I don't really feel a difference between the two. Although I would say the 90D does seem a little more 'sure footed" in max acceleration under less than ideal conditions (moisture, sand, etc.), but it is fun in the P85!

I've had my P90D since Feb '16. I ordered the "P" because I needed the car early to replace a leased BMW 650. I choked on the extra $20K for the "P" but did it for early delivery (vin 213). I have 16K miles on the car, including a trip to the drags (12 seconds flat @ 114mph). When my lease is up I have decided that I will not get the "P". The acceleration of the non-P is better than my BMW 650 and more than you will ever need except for competition drags.I will be buying the next one and just can't justify the extra $27-37K. I will order the 100kwh battery, or the largest they offer at the time, as we have taken a number of road trips and the extra range would be very helpful, particularly in cold or bad weather. Hopefully by then they will have significantly reduced the charging times, although I have found if you can plan your charging around meals, the car is ready before you are.

I've had my P90D since Feb '16. I ordered the "P" because I needed the car early to replace a leased BMW 650. I choked on the extra $20K for the "P" but did it for early delivery (vin 213). I have 16K miles on the car, including a trip to the drags (12 seconds flat @ 114mph). When my lease is up I have decided that I will not get the "P". The acceleration of the non-P is better than my BMW 650 and more than you will ever need except for competition drags.I will be buying the next one and just can't justify the extra $27-37K. I will order the 100kwh battery, or the largest they offer at the time, as we have taken a number of road trips and the extra range would be very helpful, particularly in cold or bad weather. Hopefully by then they will have significantly reduced the charging times, although I have found if you can plan your charging around meals, the car is ready before you are.
I ordered the P for the red calipers and adjustable spoilers :runsandhidesfromtheridiculingi'mabouttoreceive:

You're the only person I know that posted numbers for p90d without L from the dragstrip. Good to know because I don't have the L upgrade.

Does anyone have any info on Model X 90D vs P90D acceleration curves? Obviously Tesla publish the 0-60mph times, but I'm curious on how to interpolate this to other speeds (ie, 0-40 and 0-50 times). From what I can gather the acceleration isn't linear.

I don't intend to go drag racing and rarely am I going to want to overshoot 60mph by much :)

Both cars (and most EVs) have basically two phases in the power limits.

At low speed, they are limited by either maximum motor torque or available traction - power increases linearly with increasing speed, acceleration stays constant.

At some point, the power required to sustain this acceleration reaches the maximum that the battery pack or motor inverters can deliver.

From that point on, the car puts out more or less constant amounts of power (actually dropping slowly due to back EMF issues,) and the acceleration falls off as a root of the increasing speed (nearly constant increase in kinetic energy, which is a function of velocity squared.)

During the initial constant acceleration phase, the P90D is much faster, due to the gobs of torque from the big rear motor. For a PxxD car, this phase ends around 25-30 mph I believe.

Above that speed, the P90D acceleration falls off while the 90D acceleration remains constant at its lower value, until the 90D becomes power limited (around 45 mph, I think?)

When they are both at the power limit, the P90D produces a small amount more total power (450 kw vs 400 kw I think it was?) but the difference isn't generally perceptible to most people I'm told.

TL;DR version: most of the extra fun in the P90D is to be had below 50 mph. Above that the difference is small.

I've had a 90D since March 2016 and roughly 20k km or 12.5k miles on it. A few observations over the year:

1. Acceleration from 0-30mph is fierce. 30-60 is fast and 60-90mph tapers off.( by taper I mean still a great torque pull just not as quick). I've had one c63 AMG race only once last summer with a guy who pulled up next to me on a straight away. I figured why not?! and while I was succcessfully ahead of the amg up to 60mph, the high performance Ice engine quickly gained and surpassed after that point. I'm not into drag at all however it was one instance to note transmission ratios providing the advantage to the traditional engine at higher speeds.

2. 90D's Handling and refined pull rather than brute force G's is something we thoroughly enjoy. The P90D we tested seemed to provide that slight head rush as the blood in the brain gets pushed back. After 2-3 of these we started feeling quesy as if on a constant roller coaster. Loved the power but practically would not want to induce sickness from time to time. P90D owners would beg to differ id bet!

3. Range is an interesting concern. I may leave my home at 410km avail (90% charge) and drive only 50km that day and the battery is down to 380km avail. Driving normally with traffic and no brisk driving. One heated seat, audio on and fan on. Reads a 120km drop in range for a 50km drive. Temperature is also a factor as we live in a Toronto and definitely less range in colder temp. However even in summer the actual range seems to always decrease faster than km driven. Makes one wonder how they determined initial range estimates to begin with. (No fan, no audio, very minimal power usage and driving 30mph?) glad we chose the highest range at the time.

All in all very happy to have the 90D as it seems to the the best balance of power, range, refined acceleration and $ value. The 100D now even better for the extra range. I'm sure P90D owners are equally as thrilled with their decision! One day I'd wish for Tesla to come up with some tweaks for the 90/100D and at least provide a slight bit of quicker speed ie. 4.4s reduced to 3.9s? It seems the company continually tweaks and refines power delivery from their 'P' models but don't pay much attention to the non P similarily!
Enjoyed your post. I certainly concur on range drop during winter. Using snow tires with heater on, seats on and (premium) sound going my range drops considerably. Going over mountain pass eats miles at about a 2/1 ratio going up but range stays nearly unchanged (gaining very few at best) going down pass. Like you I'm glad I've got the 90D. I would have gotten the 100D if it had been available (new lithium battery cells are now available since October 2016 when I got my S) but with expanding Supercharger network I'm confident I'll be fine. I DO wonder about availability of Supercharger hookups once Model 3s get numerous though. Hookup anxiety? Ha!

Enjoyed your post. I certainly concur on range drop during winter. Using snow tires with heater on, seats on and (premium) sound going my range drops considerably. Going over mountain pass eats miles at about a 2/1 ratio going up but range stays nearly unchanged (gaining very few at best) going down pass. Like you I'm glad I've got the 90D. I would have gotten the 100D if it had been available (new lithium battery cells are now available since October 2016 when I got my S) but with expanding Supercharger network I'm confident I'll be fine. I DO wonder about availability of Supercharger hookups once Model 3s get numerous though. Hookup anxiety? Ha!
It also due to cold air being that much more dense and harder to push the vehicle through. Oh and keeping the battery warm. Snow tires are actually pretty efficient as long as they aren't studs. Unless they're being driven on rain or snow covered roads. ;-)

It also due to cold air being that much more dense and harder to push the vehicle through. Oh and keeping the battery warm. Snow tires are actually pretty efficient as long as they aren't studs. Unless they're being driven on rain or snow covered roads. ;-)
Thanks! Yes, the actual "range" just has to be experienced over time/conditions. Now I'm wondering if the newer and slightly larger iteration of the Tesla/Panasonic battery cells will be extending range...maybe recharge and discharge rate capabilities, too?? But this is probably for a different forum. Meanwhile we wait for Monroe to give us that "green" light! :)

Thanks! Yes, the actual "range" just has to be experienced over time/conditions. Now I'm wondering if the newer and slightly larger iteration of the Tesla/Panasonic battery cells will be extending range...maybe recharge and discharge rate capabilities, too?? But this is probably for a different forum. Meanwhile we wait for Monroe to give us that "green" light! :)
Oops...Now I'm getting forums mixed up. Monroe refers to new Supercharger station coming on line soon! That's news for us in eastern Washington heading west to Seattle area where there are currently NO Superchargers!! Monroe Washington will be a great plus for us as it's on Highway 2 and only a half hour from Seattle area.

There are many here hoping this will be the case. Mostly due to a reduction in weight we're hoping for with the new cells/packs. A slight bump in capacity would be nice too, but not necessary.

Don't forget to calculate in the reduced range in the "P" cars.
Yeah, that post was from before I actually took delivery. I thought I needed a quicker vehicle but the regular X is plenty quick!

Reactions: jelloslug