Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90kWh to 100kWh Battery Upgrade Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in August Tesla announced a $20,000 price for owners of P90DL's to upgrade to a P100DL. I've used the [ahem] TMC search function but can't find anything about the status. Has anyone received an upgrade? If not, what are they telling you about availability?

what a shame that customers who were in the queue for 90D couldn't get the same treatment.
a senior sales person replied to me today and had this to say,

"
  • However;- Now that we’ve had experience of the 90D and 100D Model X's, GENUINELY in the UK types of driving and roads the 100 is only adding about 20-25 miles on average to the range.

Is the customer being mis informed and why the hell did i spend $10000 upgrading from 75 to 90 for 30 miles extra?

utter disgrace tesla.

That's smart of them to limit it to the Ludi models if they limit it at all: limited corporate impact, and the people who would want it the most who have the money for it get it.

What I don't get is why Elon is against upgrading batteries. There's plenty of uses for used batteries: discount CPO's; PowerWall 1's; for medium sized batteries, could be offered as upgrades for yet smaller batteries; etc.

The "discount CPO's" has me thinking: Tesla has been trying to keep all of its current vehicles expensive. Once the Model 3 comes out, Tesla is officially in the market of trying to be cheap(er), so suddenly, discount CPO's makes much more sense to them at that point. Also, due to the cheap interior of Model S & X, Tesla would be in a lower end of the market segment anyway, especially if they're trying to improve the interior with their recent interior designer from Volvo, and give value to their newer models that are coming out with those better interiors without over-charging against new competition.

Let's hope battery upgrades become an option, without having to eat huge depreciations and options hell for whole car sales.

That's smart of them to limit it to the Ludi models if they limit it at all: limited corporate impact, and the people who would want it the most who have the money for it get it.

What I don't get is why Elon is against upgrading batteries. There's plenty of uses for used batteries: discount CPO's; PowerWall 1's; for medium sized batteries, could be offered as upgrades for yet smaller batteries; etc.

Let's hope battery upgrades become an option, without having to eat huge depreciations and options hell for whole car sales.

For sure there's some element of being constrained by supply of batteries. But I wonder if it's that they're concerned that there will be a new crop of bugs exposed once you start mixing and matching all sorts of cars and batteries. And so that that could create a long-term support cost as they would need to test all of these configurations before issuing software updates???

Theoretically, if the electrical/software interface between the battery management software and the drive system software is perfect and bug free, then this should not be an issue. But I've been around the block far too many times to believe that to be the case.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Its ok. Jason is already testing some of these combinations :)

Which may very end up being the outcome. Anybody can their Audi chipped. But it's not the Audi dealer doing it and the Audi dealer won't support it. It may well be that to do a battery upgrade you would go to a 3rd party, and you would accept that you no longer get software updates. I can see a lot of people being willing to accept static firmware in exchange for an upgraded battery at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Ulmo
FYI

A P100DL owner posted in another thread-
Need to add P100DL to the list as well since my P100DL has significantly less power after 17.7.2 update. Prior 580kw, post 515kw and definitely a much less seat of your pants experience. Sux as I considered other vehicles but the power output of the tesla sold me on this vehicle.

I was so close to selling my P85D and buying the P100D.... Glad I did not trust Tesla when they said the performance limits did not apply to the 100.