Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

94 Miles on Gravity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the "tinkerers" on this forum posted information on the cooling system back when the 3 first came out, but I don't remember the details. I sort of remember, though, that there is a relationship between the cabin conditioning system and battery conditioning system. I'll have to search for it later.
Your sacrafice (sweat, time) for our gain (funny and educational). Thx

Reactions: Polly Wog
Great story.

@maztec, I'm sure my model 3 could climb out of Waipio Valley, if not for the condition the road is in most of the time and the fact that it is on the Big Island, and not Maui :)
I'm really confident I could make it out of there even with the scattered debris that is often on there, but I've got a dual motor. Of course if I was inclined to haul it by boat even further than you'd need to to get there. :)

Heading down from the bottom of the access road to the beach on the other hand I don't think I'd try. ;) That gets pretty big dips and ruts in spots, I'd be sweating bullets the whole way trying not to get high-pointed or otherwise bump the bottom. Nearly always has wets spots, too, that would be tough to just crawl through rather than using a bit of speed to carry you through the muddy spots. If you aren't going out to the beach I'm not sure what the point would be of going down there. :D

I drove up and down again on Wednesday for work, with the cabin conditioning ON this time. Despite cold-soaking for 3 hours, regen was not limited in any way on the drive down. Without having any actual proof, I'm pretty sure that having the cabin conditioning on helped in this regard. And by the way, with the A/C on for the drive down, I only gained 34 miles this time (instead of 39+).

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
I managed this on the school tun today ;)

Attachments

• 20190418_072237.jpg
    20190418_072237.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 53
  • Funny
Wait, so how many miles did you have left in the battery when you returned back down? How many miles did you loose in total, starting with 322?
I had 322 rated miles when I started, 212 rated miles at the top of Haleakala, 251 rated miles at the bottom of the descent, and 211 rated miles when I stopped. I used a total of 111 rated miles to go 143.3 actual miles (picture of this is in my first post of this thread). Not too bad for climbing from sea level to 10,000 feet and then back to sea level, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Reactions: abasile