Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

99% Issue - Calculating [Charging to 100% hangs at 99%]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi if anyone can help, i’m having a issue, when i charge it, It will go to 99% & just hang there & changes to calibrating or calculating. The moment i click stop charging it then shows 100%.

If anyone can help that would be grate. I been to tesla 2 times, 1 they checked over the battery & said nothing wrong with it, the battery is fine & dont worry its only 1%…. The 2nd time was told too drop the battery below 20% & leave car overnight then charge to 100% but this did not fix the issue(100% charge complete) & yes i do get its only 1%, but when i sell to update its going to be a issues for new buyer & think something wrong with the battery so i would like to learn, resolve this issue to charge complete so i dont have issue selling in the future..

Here is picture… i also i have a video where it hits 99% click stop charging 100% then when click charging again it goes back to 99% very weird..
Video -

Attachments

• D65E3DC8-D861-4135-BE61-95EEB45E257B.jpeg
    D65E3DC8-D861-4135-BE61-95EEB45E257B.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 630
Solution
So today was day 15 since I picked up my Rwd and I haven't had a chance to charge to 100% yet so I went to a local supercharger to charge to 100% to keep the bms accurate (assuming it wouldn't be busy which it wasn't).

Once it showed a few minutes remaining, I went out to the car from shopping and when it went to 99%, it said calibrating so I waited and waited and waited and waited for around 30 minutes until I thought to check on TMC and I found this thread, I promptly stopped charging and realized I can let it finish calibrating at home. If I knew it could take a really long time to calibrate, I would have just stopped once I was close to 99. Now I know.
Mine only charges to 100% after calibrating every time now & its about...
Anyone that's new to Tesla would do the same? Ummmm, no, not at all. I did my homework long before I decided to make the leap with a Tesla.
Anyone who would sit around for 40 extra minutes to top off a battery should NOT own an EV. You're in way over your head here buddy and let us know how the Taycan works for you.
It was figure of speech they no way I would sit there for extra 40mins anytime i go on long trip😂 speaking out, so anytime “if i want” to charge 100% on long road trip it would take extra time which I wasn’t aware of until 2nd charge ill just live with the fish battery sell on😂 I’ll definitely let you know how the beautiful taycan goes hopefully better optimize battery..

Upvote 0
Generally, people like to do long trips in as short a time as possible. What you'll find is that the Tesla, like all EVs, makes the shortest-timed trips by driving as fast as you are comfortable with, and charging at the lowest SOCs you are comfortable with. Why? That's because with EVs use a charging taper, like my iPhone. Previously, I didn't ask if you charge your iPhone to a 100%. I asked if you noticed the charging slows as it approaches 100%.
IMG_6526.jpeg

That's from the iPhone's battery settings. Not only does the charge rate slow as it gets past 80%, it'll actually stop and wait so that the charge above 80% is "dynamic". That is, it's charged right before you use it, in order to minimize the amount of time the battery actually sits above 80%. The same strategy is what Tesla advises. You can charge above 80% and up to 100%, but it's advisable to not let it sit at high SOCs.

Back to Tesla, because of this, the obvious corollary is that the EV charges fastest at low SOCs. How can we use this knowledge to make the fastest roadtrips? Well, one can look at the charging curve and get some ideas.
IMG_2542 (1).jpeg

When you plug in at low SOCs, the charge rate, grey area, quickly ramps up to the limit of the charger. In this case, it's a V2 supercharger that maxes at 150kW. It continues to charge at this fast rate until almost 50%, when it begins to taper. Ignore the drop, I unplugged it by mistake.

In this case, my charge goal was 71%, before I could unplug and continue on my way. After about 15mins, I was up to 65%, and my charge speed was now only 87kW, due to the taper, 40% slower than when I was charging at 148kW. So, each kW being added now takes 40% more time, and this taper continues to drop. Thankfully, I only need 5 more minutes to add 6% more SOC and get to my goal. The blue line is my SOC estimate, while the green line is my actual SOC level. The blue and green lines should be close.

As you can see because of the taper, the optimal time strategy is to add charge when the battery is low, because it's fast, while you want to minimize the amount of time spent charging when the battery is high. Because the taper is known, software can run an algorithm to figure out the optimal trip strategy to minimize time.

The resulting strategy is to drive as fast as you are comfortable with; fast driving results in shorter trip times, duh! And charge at the lowest SOCs you are comfortable with, because charging at lowest SOCs is fastest.

When I roadtripped 4400 miles, from Maine to Denver and back, last year, my average stop was 17min, raising my SOC from about 13% to about 67%, only once needing to go above 80%. During that time, you can go to the toilet, stop at the coffee shop and/or buy a sandwich, etc. Because this is not wasted time, as you normally stop after a couple hours of driving to do the same, roadtripping in a Tesla should take about the same time as it would take in a regular ICE.

The optimal trip strategy almost never has me charging above 80%. Then again, I drive a 310-mile rated LR-AWD. You are driving a SR+, which has a smaller battery. You may have to regularly charge above 80% to achieve the optimal trip times, but you should never have to choose between 99% and 100%. That's never going to be optimal in any EV.

So what software am I using that uses real-world data from Teslas and Taycans and Kias and Hyundais, etc., etc., etc in its trip predictions? It's ABRP, ABRP. It's free, and will allow you to simulate all the EVs to your heart's desire, to figure out which one is the most practical for you in terms of roadtripping.

Upvote 0
Hey tesla forum i know you moderating each comment i make but you need to make forum more strict since everyone likes to go off topic & shade insults just because they owned a tesla for years & know in’s & out’s, etc.

As i’m new to tesla its new learning, only asked a simple question for advice or can do & only one that give me straight answer marked as solution jjrandorin that all i need 👍

Improve forum - don't go off topic, anyone new to tesla only comment help & advice..

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Not only did I waste my time, but I feel stupid. My days of trying to help people are numbered.
You didn't waste your time was a good read from last reply i just already knew about the battery charging from 0-50% its fast with full 120-150kw supercharger then after 50% it drops & slows down to protect the battery. Every since i had the car i charged it to 95% then only 100% on long road trips so i know me charging habits has nothing to do with this calculating or calibrating. This calculating at 99% I noticed every since that update come in when they changed from radar to tesla vision..

Its all good ill just fully charge & let it calculate once a month should sort itself out overtime 👍

Upvote 0
So today was day 15 since I picked up my Rwd and I haven't had a chance to charge to 100% yet so I went to a local supercharger to charge to 100% to keep the bms accurate (assuming it wouldn't be busy which it wasn't).

Once it showed a few minutes remaining, I went out to the car from shopping and when it went to 99%, it said calibrating so I waited and waited and waited and waited for around 30 minutes until I thought to check on TMC and I found this thread, I promptly stopped charging and realized I can let it finish calibrating at home. If I knew it could take a really long time to calibrate, I would have just stopped once I was close to 99. Now I know.

Reactions: NevG
Upvote 0

Mine only charges to 100% after calibrating every time now & its about 40mins plus wait just for 1% to hit 100% lol after the battery calibrating to 100% on next charge still the same, the battery not sorting itself out…

I even checked the battery health via Software - hold model 3 logo for 3 seconds - you’ll see a ripple, pop up, the password is “service”.. i checked the battery & everything is fine just trying to find out why anytime i want to charge to 100% it always calibrating/calculating even tho if finished last time…

Attachments

• C2AAA991-AA57-410E-87A9-CD081745EFDB.jpeg
    C2AAA991-AA57-410E-87A9-CD081745EFDB.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Reactions: mgs333
Upvote 0
Solution
Not to steer this off track but OP (NevG) is a troll in my book now. On Ignore list u go...
Just look at this clown:

1673991786604.png

that's not even all of it lol

Apparently if u Disagree with him once, he'll go on Disagree spree...
I'd suggest Mods to ban him but he'll probably just create another account...
My bad for not hiding my history earlier. Have fun finding my post now 😂

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and NevG
Upvote 0
Not to steer this off track but OP (NevG) is a troll in my book now. On Ignore list u go...
Just look at this clown:

View attachment 896821
that's not even all of it lol

Apparently if u Disagree with him once, he'll go on Disagree spree...
I'd suggest Mods to ban him but he'll probably just create another account...
My bad for not hiding my history earlier. Have fun finding my post now 😂
Lol you started this the other day that was only yesterday here’s you from jan 2nd 😂 call me out for your own actions🤡

Attachments

• B79E54D9-34F1-4FB2-BF3F-ACD4129B1CD6.jpeg
    B79E54D9-34F1-4FB2-BF3F-ACD4129B1CD6.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0