Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

99% of Americans are within 150 Miles of Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
This is not a good tweet by Tesla. If you read the comments, you see that it confuses people and makes them think they have to potentially drive 150 miles whenever they need to charge. It makes sense to people in the know, but to the masses who are used to gas stations, this "positive" tweet is actually a turn-off. They should send a follow-up tweet to clarify.

Tesla on Twitter

I don’t understand the point Tesla was trying to make with the first tweet. It’s like their media person doesn’t drive a Tesla. Being within 150 miles of a supercharger isn’t meaningful, unless it’s in the direction you’re traveling! What good is a supercharger within 150 miles to the east of you, if you’re traveling west?

I don’t understand the point Tesla was trying to make with the first tweet. It’s like their media person doesn’t drive a Tesla. Being within 150 miles of a supercharger isn’t meaningful, unless it’s in the direction you’re traveling! What good is a supercharger within 150 miles to the east of you, if you’re traveling west?

I understand the point. It's to emphasize the extent of the network. Other L3 protocols are probably <70%... and that's just because of urban density. In terms of land area I'd be surprised if they're <150 miles of 20%....

Reactions: SageBrush
Do people live west of you ?

The Tesla PR is vague to be sure, but I presume they are saying that Superchargers are well dispersed which is certainly true.

Reactions: Krugerrand
I was just using that as an example.
As was I. The point is that the lion's share of people in the US are able to travel in any direction via Supercharger. This follows because people live just about everywhere. Even in the fairly desolate parts of Texas

I cannot remember which at the moment, but one of the map apps lets you draw circles of arbitrary radius around each Supercharger. It shows really well just how extensive the Supercharger coverage has already become.

Last edited:
People sometimes ask about if I use the Supercharger here in my city, and I have to explain this:
"The most important Supercharger for a Tesla owner is not the local one, but the one 100 miles away from you. That is what connects you to other places."
Exactly! My most charged at Supercharger is 225 miles from where I live. I've actually never even charged at the Superchargers closest to where I live.

I think they are just trying to point out that most of the population of the US can travel and have their trips covered by Superchargers.
upload_2018-8-10_14-4-15.png

Being within 150 miles of a supercharger isn’t meaningful, unless it’s in the direction you’re traveling! What good is a supercharger within 150 miles to the east of you, if you’re traveling west?
Yeah, I didn't bring it up in my first message, but since you asked... ;)
I live next to the Bermuda Triangle hole in the Supercharger network. There is one Interstate highway that heads northwest and east. But other than that, there are commonly traveled routes straight west and southwest into the abyss that have no coverage, and a Tesla will use up a full 100% charge before I could arrive at another Supercharger at Bend or Winnemucca. So yes, having one 10 miles away, in my city doesn't help me get to Bend. It's the space between those two cities, where the cows live, that needs a Supercharger.