Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that either:
(1) heating and other electrical usage has a greater relative effect at lower speeds vs. higher speeds, or
(2) lower speeds may be more representative of trip starts (vs. trip continuation), so heating, etc. is more frequently represented?

I don't know much, but my guess is that acceleration (especially hard acceleration) and deceleration (as in stop-and-go traffic) is likely more common at low speeds vs. high speeds, and that may play a role in higher energy usage (on average, YMMV). Just a thought. Real people don't drive like the EPA test, especially in regard to acceleration.

Yes of course heating and other electrical usage has a highter relative effect at lower speeds. Say you need 1 kW to keep your cabin warm/cold and power the electronics.
Going 10mph you will need 6 kWh for electrical usage to drive 60 miles. Going 60mph you need 1 kWh for 60 miles.
For simplicity with 230 Wh/mile consumption to the engine in both cases (as you say going 10mph stop and go will add to the power usage, but it will probably be lower) gives 13.8 kWh to drive 60 miles.
Going 10 mph electrical usage will add 43%, going 60 mph will add 7%.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Congratulations on the new (nice) car! All you need to help out in ABRP is to be logged in to MyTesla in the car browser and have ABRP open while driving and/or charging. The MyTesla login session is for security reasons never synchronized between devices so be logged in on the device you keep open whil driving or charging.

Good luck on the trip!
So, to be clear, if I keep ABRP logged in on my iPhone's browser while I am traveling it is just as good as if it was on my Tesla browser? If so, much easier to do!

Thanks again for your work on behalf of the community.

you need to keep the screen on

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable in this area. If I have Waze running foreground (on iPhone) would that mean that ABRP, opened but not foreground, can or cannot log data?

I'd be very happy to do that, I need the dashboard screen for other things on the journey, but open-in-background on phone would be fine for me. My phone is plugged in to power in car - Waze eats my batteries otherwise, so no problem with ABRP helping itself to both power and bandwidth! I turn off DATA when I finish my journey (otherwise useless phone has flat battery within a few hours), so it would be self correcting in that sense, for me, but if I had to go into an "Enable this - override" in ABRP that would be fine too.

Perhaps I can upload raw data from TeslaFi or TeslaLog as an alternative? I've got 18 months worth of that you can have!

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable in this area. If I have Waze running foreground (on iPhone) would that mean that ABRP, opened but not foreground, can or cannot log data?

Browser behavior while in the background on any platform is pretty undefined - scripts and/or background data will usually be turned off after a while.

However, I have now enabled the Tesla web browser (in car) to continue fetching car data while in the background. So if you are running ABRP in the car browser, it should be logging data even when not visible on the car screen. For a while at least, until the operating system decides to throw it out.

Would like to see more options for planning....for example toll avoidance option. In northern Virginia new tolls popping up based on traffic. More traffic, higher toll to keep traffic moving. Have seen toll as high as $12 to go single exit (less than 2 miles).

I posted a question regarding route planning in another thread but I think there might be more knowledge here.
Basically I'm trying to find out if I can tow my 4500lb boat to the lake about 75 miles away with an elevation change of 4200 ft.
I'm looking to buy a MX 75D and want to know if it will make it. I plugged in 600 watts/mile as a baseline on the routeplanner site. It says I'll get there with 17% remaining.
POSSIBLE?

I posted a question regarding route planning in another thread but I think there might be more knowledge here.
Basically I'm trying to find out if I can tow my 4500lb boat to the lake about 75 miles away with an elevation change of 4200 ft.
I'm looking to buy a MX 75D and want to know if it will make it. I plugged in 600 watts/mile as a baseline on the routeplanner site. It says I'll get there with 17% remaining.
POSSIBLE?
I’d get as much batter as I could if I were towing that heavy and object to GUARANTEE it will get there - perhaps a 90 or 100...but that’s just me - obviously budget comes down to the decision.

I’d get as much batter as I could if I were towing that heavy and object to GUARANTEE it will get there - perhaps a 90 or 100...but that’s just me - obviously budget comes down to the decision.
I agree, if I can swing it I will, but if it does the mission then I'm happy. I only tow the boat 2 or three times for this trip and other than that I don't need the range.

POSSIBLE?

ABRP uses the reference consumption to calculate the consumption on different legs on flat ground. So 600 Wh/mile may be OK to account for the increased drag and friction from the boat trailer if you go relatively flat. However, ABRP does not know that you have added 4500 lb to the weight of the vehicle which will make a difference in elevation.

The potential energy of 4500 lb moved 4200 ft up is 7.1 kWh, and at 90% efficiency of the EV this would give about 8 kWh consumed. A 75 kWh Tesla has about 71 kWh of usable energy so this corresponds to 11% of the battery.

In other words, you may reach your destination at 17% minus 11% (due to the extra weight and elevation change of the boat), given that the reference consumption is 600 Wh/mile at 65 mph. Sounds tight ;)

Edit: I assumed that you were going uphill, even if it seems strange with a boat :)
Edit 2: Thinking more about it, I assume you are going back too at some point, so ascent or descent does not really matter :D. Time to stop thinking.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Blup85
ABRP uses the reference consumption to calculate the consumption on different legs on flat ground. So 600 Wh/mile may be OK to account for the increased drag and friction from the boat trailer if you go relatively flat. However, ABRP does not know that you have added 4500 lb to the weight of the vehicle which will make a difference in elevation.

The potential energy of 4500 lb moved 4200 ft up is 7.1 kWh, and at 90% efficiency of the EV this would give about 8 kWh consumed. A 75 kWh Tesla has about 71 kWh of usable energy so this corresponds to 11% of the battery.

In other words, you may reach your destination at 17% minus 11% (due to the extra weight and elevation change of the boat), given that the reference consumption is 600 Wh/mile at 65 mph. Sounds tight ;)

Edit: I assumed that you were going uphill, even if it seems strange with a boat :)
It will probably be downhill one way and uphill the other way ;)

Not reading through 20 pages at work but, Is there an option for fastest route? For instance I'm going Houston to south Georgia, What's the fastest way?

Lets just take my 70D and base values. At 100% speed total time is 16:44; 3:34 charge 13:10 drive. At 110% speed Total time is 16:23 with 4:23 and 12:00 times. So more charge, less drive, but overall 20 minutes shorter. Is there a way for the program to tell me how fast to go to maximize travel time without me playing with every function?

And the obvious - if you arrive at the boat dock with 6% battery - where will you go to reload? You probably have to go from waters edge up some hill. Does the dock have a power plug for you? Surely you don't intend to round-trip it when you have only 6% at 1/2 way.

Nope. I arive with 6% at the cabin, start charging, grab a beer, sit on the deck and launch the boat the next day.

Thank you so much for the potential energy calc, very helpful!
I'm able to immediately charge once I get there at the house, so return route is a non issue. I re ran the route and it came to 27% using actual addresses, so with the calc @blincoln supplied I'm comfortable arriving with 15% or so for the number of times I do this route.

Not reading through 20 pages at work but, Is there an option for fastest route? For instance I'm going Houston to south Georgia, What's the fastest way?

Lets just take my 70D and base values. At 100% speed total time is 16:44; 3:34 charge 13:10 drive. At 110% speed Total time is 16:23 with 4:23 and 12:00 times. So more charge, less drive, but overall 20 minutes shorter. Is there a way for the program to tell me how fast to go to maximize travel time without me playing with every function?

Haha, well, the point of ABRP is to calculate the fastest route for you, not to tell you how much over the speed limits you should drive ;)

However, a good rule of thumb according to some early theoretical calculation and assuming superchargers everywhere is that you should drive at about 160 km/h / 100 mph to minimize total trip time in a Model S.

Not seen that before, the ones I've seen suggest 75-80 MPH

Are the graphs you have collected of late (very interesting, thanks) telling a different story perhaps?

No they do not say anything at 160 km/h, I need more data there. Hey Germans, wake up ;)
Edit: I now actually see a Model S datapoint which has averaged 176 km/h during a minute. Good job :)
Edit 2: And a Model X averaging 194 km/h for a minute too. Now we are talking. Both these points actually consume surprisingly little power.

Last edited:
  • Informative