Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@blincoln I pulled the website up on the browser with version 2018.14.2. The red arrow icon that represents the vehicle disappears while I am driving (no route selected) and the "vehicle centered" view selected. Occasionally the icon reappears. Is this a known bug?

This is an issue introduced by the latest Tesla browser; the good thing is that the position is updated every second, but the bad consequence is that the map re-center updates takes so much time that the car icon is sometimes not visible. I am trying to work around the issue.

Reactions: Utahken
@blincoln are going to be able to keep ABRP alive with the changes in Google Map API rates? I imagine you get many thousands of api requests per day that could drive your expenses pretty hard.
Don't worry, ABRP will remain. The most costly API calls were moved to OpenStreetMap-based services a year ago. Now I may have to move some more.

As someone with a 2,000+ mile round trip road trip coming up in less than a month, I've already been doing some planning/adjusting using ABRP. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how close my estimates are going to come to reality, and how quickly I can make the trip. Glad to know it will still be around.

Indispensable on our 3285 mi road trip CA-NV-UT-CO-UT-AZ-CA the past two weeks! It made it so much easier to plan side trips, improve on Tesla recommended charging stops, and be confident that we would always get there with comfortable range left.

One suggestion (tell me if it’s there already and I missed it): Display miles (km for the unit-liberated) instead of or in addition to % range. It’s easier to charge to 210 mi rather than 82% since that is what's displayed in the car and in the Tesla app. I also use Remote S that displays %, hence both would be best.

Thanks for the great web app!

One suggestion (tell me if it’s there already and I missed it): Display miles (km for the unit-liberated) instead of or in addition to % range. It’s easier to charge to 210 mi rather than 82% since that is what's displayed in the car and in the Tesla app. I also use Remote S that displays %, hence both would be best.

I'm assuming that you don't want to change your Tesla to display the % rather than the estimated range in miles? For day to day driving, I leave our on miles. For road trips, I change to battery percentage. If you change what the car displays, your Tesla app will automatically change to match your car.

Good point, thanks! I prefer to leave it on distance. My wife even more so, she hated the fake % bars on our Leaf.
The reason why I have not implemented this is that different Teslas use different conversion figures between remaining kWh and miles. It varies betwen P and non-P models, different (offical) wheel sizes, and even North American and European versions. I even think it varies between different individual cars, based on some Tesla internal estimates of your car...

The reason why I have not implemented this is that different Teslas use different conversion figures between remaining kWh and miles. It varies betwen P and non-P models, different (offical) wheel sizes, and even North American and European versions. I even think it varies between different individual cars, based on some Tesla internal estimates of your car...

That makes sense. Instead of you being responsible for that, could you instead ask the user in the settings to enter a pair of % and miles/km range such as for my X 90D 90% = 230 mi That would take care of the conversion for each car, wouldn’t it?

How does reference consumption work? I'm currently displaying 322wh/mi while going 85ish mph, 114% of the 75mph speed limit.

however the browser wants to update every now and then and when I hit replan it comes up with some crazy numbers. Right now it's saying reference consumption is 333 wh/hr @ 65mph and reference speed is 142%

the confusing part is that GENERALLY the graph at the bottom showing current charge, expected charge, distance, and elevation is generally within 1%.

Last edited:
Why is it when planning, not just with ABRP but Tesla itself the numbers don't add up on single charge routes. My house in SW Houston to my moms in Killeen is 175 miles. My 15 70d gets a rated 225ish is when I leave, usually around 95%. Every route from ABRP or Tesla onboard want to funnel me through either Columbus and/or Austin it's 175 miles and everyone wants to take me on a 215 mile trip to charge.

even playing with the numbers for my 70d on ABRP for super low reference consumption, arrive with 1%, etc. I can't get it to route me straight through the best I can get is going from two charge stops to one. I know you can make it because I ignored all the wanings and reroute requests yesterday and made it home with 17miles. It's obviously not just an ABRP problem but what the algorithms to add 40miles and charge stops to a trip that should be straight through.

That makes sense. Instead of you being responsible for that, could you instead ask the user in the settings to enter a pair of % and miles/km range such as for my X 90D 90% = 230 mi That would take care of the conversion for each car, wouldn’t it?

Yes, I will consider that. Another way is to calculate it automatically for users who are logged in with MyTesla.

How does reference consumption work? I'm currently displaying 322wh/mi while going 85ish mph, 114% of the 75mph speed limit.

however the browser wants to update every now and then and when I hit replan it comes up with some crazy numbers. Right now it's saying reference consumption is 333 wh/hr @ 65mph and reference speed is 142%

the confusing part is that GENERALLY the graph at the bottom showing current charge, expected charge, distance, and elevation is generally within 1%.

The estimated reference consumption is done by observing how fast your SoC% decreases compared to the plan, so it is a pretty blunt tool. Basically, you'll have to wait until you have consumed 20-30% of the battery before the numbers stabilize.

This is an issue introduced by the latest Tesla browser; the good thing is that the position is updated every second, but the bad consequence is that the map re-center updates takes so much time that the car icon is sometimes not visible. I am trying to work around the issue.
If you implemented your work around... It is fixed now.

Also I have noticed that either ABRP or teslawaze is causing my LTE radio to stop then the streaming radio stops and of course the browser. Has anyone reported this issue? It sometimes recovers because, if I click on the signal strength icon, it says "initializing" . Other times I must reboot the screen.

If you implemented your work around... It is fixed now.

Also I have noticed that either ABRP or teslawaze is causing my LTE radio to stop then the streaming radio stops and of course the browser. Has anyone reported this issue? It sometimes recovers because, if I click on the signal strength icon, it says "initializing" . Other times I must reboot the screen.
Yes, I worked around the car marker issue to a good enough level.

When the new Tesla browser came in 2018.12(?) one of the bugs I reported to Tesla was that it crashed the MCU if the web page scripts were too heavy. ABRP would then crash the MCU all the time. As a workaround, I now have a limit on how often the screen is updated, but it sounds like that is not enough for keeping your MCU alive. I'll see what I can do.

• Informative
Yes, I worked around the car marker issue to a good enough level.

When the new Tesla browser came in 2018.12(?) one of the bugs I reported to Tesla was that it crashed the MCU if the web page scripts were too heavy. ABRP would then crash the MCU all the time. As a workaround, I now have a limit on how often the screen is updated, but it sounds like that is not enough for keeping your MCU alive. I'll see what I can do.
I think it happened as I pressed the zoom out button. ( Maybe a few times too many too fast :p ). But the issue could also be Teslawaze . ABRP wouldn't load for some reason on my drive home, so I selected different websites, of which teslawaze was one, then ARBP started loading. After pressing the zoom out a couple, it froze. After everything rebooted, I didn't have any issues with ABRP. I could even zoom out 3 levels, but I waited a minute or more in between presses.

I think it happened as I pressed the zoom out button. ( Maybe a few times too many too fast :p ). But the issue could also be Teslawaze . ABRP wouldn't load for some reason on my drive home, so I selected different websites, of which teslawaze was one, then ARBP started loading. After pressing the zoom out a couple, it froze. After everything rebooted, I didn't have any issues with ABRP. I could even zoom out 3 levels, but I waited a minute or more in between presses.
Thanks, good input, will fix.

Hi, not sure if this has already been asked, but would it be possible to edit the reference speed? 110 km/h isn't a typical driving speed in Europe, so I don't really have a good idea what consumption I have at this speed. Would be great if one could set both the ref speed and associated ref consumption, e.g. 210 Wh/km at 120 km/h.