Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is most often not that it cannot find the address, but that it cannot find a working route between the addresses due to distance, initial charge, arrival charge or something els

I don't think that is the issue. Some names of places that work in Google Maps don't work in any of the Route Planners, but if I fiddle about a bit I can come up with a different name (or, in the UK, a postcode) which is understood, and then I do get a route - so it seems to me that a route is possible, just that either the Start or End location was not understood (even though clearly Google Maps does understand it)

next time I trip over this issue I'll post the exact location names that I tried.

blincoln,

Thanks for your time and effort to make this routeplanner available. I really like the user interface. It is very clean looking and simple to use.

I tried it out on my recent Indianapolis to Raleigh, NC trip. It does find a route, but it is longer than the one I took, so I added Wytheville, VA as a waypoint. It could no longer find a route. So I tried planning just the longest leg between Superchargers:

Tesla Supercharger, Faith Assembly Church Road, London, KY, United States

Tesla Supercharger, Malin Drive, Wytheville, VA, United States

It could not find a route. This leg is about 220 miles, mostly off of the interstate highway system. My 85 has 270 rated miles at 100%. I tried reducing min charge to zero, max charge set to 100%, speed factor at 80% and even 50%, and upgrading to a 100 kWh battery. No matter what I did it could not find a route between the above two superchargers, even though my 85 can clearly make it on one charge.

GSP

Apologies for the slow optimizer over the weekend - the "reduced speed" feature did consume quite some extra CPU cycles. I have now improved the optimizer and it should return good answers to most of your planning questions.

Give it another try and continue to let me know if things do not work as you want them to.

Small bug in the current version. It shows the total drive time in the Distance column rather than the Drive Time column.
It has actually been like that since the beginning - that said, it could be better, I agree. It is the total trip time, so it does not fit in any of the columns, but rather the combination of the charge time and drive time columns. But the alternating column background color did not really work with that option, so I decided to put it all in the bottom right cell as a summary. :)

I tried routing from:
- Holly Dr, Duncan, SC, United States
- Rubens Circle, Martinsburg, WV, United States
- Depart Charge 90%
- Arrival Charge 50%
- Car: MS 60 (new)

Better Routeplanner generates a route of 574 miles requiring one leg at reduced speed and a whopping 3 hours and 20 minutes charging. EVTripping generates the "correct" shorter route of 492 miles and no speed reduction, but the route doesn't meet the 50% arrival charge (not an available setting) but it just skips the last charger along the way and gives an implausible 1:16 charging (add 30 minutes for 40% more charge for 1:46). EV Trip Planner gives a 565 mile route with no slow driving and 2 hrs 44 minutes charging. The car nav system takes the shorter route, skipping the last SuperCharger with 95 minutes charging (add 30 minutes at the last charger to reach 50% on arrival for a total charge time of 2 hours and 5 minutes).

I get routes from 492 to 574 miles, charging times from 1:46 to 3:20. I wish I had logged the times when I took the trip so I could see which was right. I think the car is closest to right.,

Last edited:
I understand some of the crazy charging times I'm seeing from some the planners now. When the planners decide that I need to charge over 80% they assume that the charging slows down dramatically for the last part. That doesn't happen with a software-limited S 60. It slows down, but just down to where a S 75 would be at 80% or thereabouts.

I see this sort of thing as a problem with all of the trip planners in that they are black boxes and you don't know what they're doing inside. One example is what algorithm they're using to compute charging time and whether it's appropriate. I'm thinking that EV Trip Planner isn't using the correct algorithm for a refresh S 60 either. Then I just learned that that Better TripPlanner considers temperature. That's nice but if I'm planning my Summer vacation in December and I don't see what it's doing with temperature, I will misinterpret the results. I presume all the planners take into account elevation changes, but I don't know for sure. Do any of them look at the winds in the weather forecast? Not a clue. How about rain? Dunno. Do they look at the posted speed limit or the prevailing speed? What IS the prevailing speed they use and how does that relate to how I drive?

The answers to these questions can mean the difference between making it, and running out of energy.

I was supercharging my S 60 and reached 210 miles (the car's rated range) and the charge was going at 353V and 93A, or 214 mi/hr.

20161122_185827000_iOS-3.png

Last edited:
I tried routing from:
- Holly Dr, Duncan, SC, United States
- Rubens Circle, Martinsburg, WV, United States
- Depart Charge 90%
- Arrival Charge 50%
- Car: MS 60 (new)

Better Routeplanner generates a route of 574 miles requiring one leg at reduced speed and a whopping 3 hours and 20 minutes charging. EVTripping generates the "correct" shorter route of 492 miles and no speed reduction, but the route doesn't meet the 50% arrival charge (not an available setting) but it just skips the last charger along the way and gives an implausible 1:16 charging (add 30 minutes for 40% more charge for 1:46). EV Trip Planner gives a 565 mile route with no slow driving and 2 hrs 44 minutes charging. The car nav system takes the shorter route, skipping the last SuperCharger with 95 minutes charging (add 30 minutes at the last charger to reach 50% on arrival for a total charge time of 2 hours and 5 minutes).

I get routes from 492 to 574 miles, charging times from 1:46 to 3:20. I wish I had logged the times when I took the trip so I could see which was right. I think the car is closest to right.,

I am a bit confused on your settings - this is what I get:

S60.png

... and if we dared 5% left at the charger arrival, we could do the trip without any speed reduction for a total of 09:41.

If you would have liked a different plan for this trip, let me know in what way.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, just saw your routeplanner today. Seems it has all the bells & whistles to really plan a trip ; ) Great work, much appreciated.

Not sure whether i git it right that there's an app as well, although i didn't find one (searching for : abetterrouteplanner)

Thanks a lot, just saw your routeplanner today. Seems it has all the bells & whistles to really plan a trip ; ) Great work, much appreciated.

Not sure whether i git it right that there's an app as well, although i didn't find one (searching for : abetterrouteplanner)

Thanks. No app though, but the site works quite dynamically in the car browser (like an app).

I understand some of the crazy charging times I'm seeing from some the planners now. When the planners decide that I need to charge over 80% they assume that the charging slows down dramatically for the last part. That doesn't happen with a software-limited S 60. It slows down, but just down to where a S 75 would be at 80% or thereabouts.

I see this sort of thing as a problem with all of the trip planners in that they are black boxes and you don't know what they're doing inside. One example is what algorithm they're using to compute charging time and whether it's appropriate. I'm thinking that EV Trip Planner isn't using the correct algorithm for a refresh S 60 either. Then I just learned that that Better TripPlanner considers temperature. That's nice but if I'm planning my Summer vacation in December and I don't see what it's doing with temperature, I will misinterpret the results. I presume all the planners take into account elevation changes, but I don't know for sure. Do any of them look at the winds in the weather forecast? Not a clue. How about rain? Dunno. Do they look at the posted speed limit or the prevailing speed? What IS the prevailing speed they use and how does that relate to how I drive?

The answers to these questions can mean the difference between making it, and running out of energy.

I was supercharging my S 60 and reached 210 miles (the car's rated range) and the charge was going at 353V and 93A, or 214 mi/hr.

20161122_185827000_iOS-3.png
You aren't interpreting the screen data right. The indicated 214 mi/hr is the average charging rate during the session.
From the V times A calculation you were getting ~ 32 kW at this point in time. You are right that this is way more than non-softwarelimited cars can take when nearly fully charged, but it is not that much.
If you switch the cars unit for SoC to energy (i.e. not distance), for reasons only known to Teslas software engineers you get the momentaneous charging rate.
I would like the mi/hr to work the same way (i.e. not averaging), so SuC users would see how futile the wait for the last few drops of energy is...

Reactions: rpez021