Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a different question... Someone noticed that I would need to do an average of 125 km/h between two superchargers in The Netherlands to approach the calculated travel time, although I have set my reference speed to 106% and although you'd maybe be able to reach that on empty highways, there is still some travel over normal roads in between supercharger and highway and vice versa. My wife calculated the same trip through Google Maps and saw a discrepancy of 1 hour between the calculated driving time on ABRP and Google Maps on a 400km trip.

I have a different question... Someone noticed that I would need to do an average of 125 km/h between two superchargers in The Netherlands to approach the calculated travel time, although I have set my reference speed to 106% and although you'd maybe be able to reach that on empty highways, there is still some travel over normal roads in between supercharger and highway and vice versa. My wife calculated the same trip through Google Maps and saw a discrepancy of 1 hour between the calculated driving time on ABRP and Google Maps on a 400km trip.
Did Google Maps show it would take an hour longer or shorter? Probably shorter since Google Maps does not add time for charging.

Google Maps would show an hour longer driving time than ABRP.

Screenshot 2018-06-07 at 20.45.53.png

Screenshot 2018-06-07 at 20.45.59.png

Last edited:
Hi, not sure if this has already been asked, but would it be possible to edit the reference speed? 110 km/h isn't a typical driving speed in Europe, so I don't really have a good idea what consumption I have at this speed. Would be great if one could set both the ref speed and associated ref consumption, e.g. 210 Wh/km at 120 km/h.

I am trying to keep the number of options somewhat limited (both to reduce risk of bugs and to make UI understandable), so probably not. In practice, you'll have to tune the number based on your car and driving anyway and the default values are pretty OK.

@blincoln I have a saved trip from Eureka, Missouri to Humble, Texas. I had it route me through the Springfield, Missouri SC but it appears ABRP no longer recognizes that SC. I only get a waypoint marker not a Tesla marker. I plan to take this route since Plugshare still shows that SC as good but your app is scaring me ;-)

A Better Routeplanner

Gee, thanks for the report! For some reason, this Supercharger and three others were marked as not being a charger in the database. I took some measures to try to ensure it does not happen again, but let me know if you find something strange.

Reactions: Superendo
it would be awesome to have a "roundtrip" feature, where you can enter a destination and insert a distance driven on destination. so it routes you A-B-A but makes sure, that if you drive, lets say 50km on the destination, that you reach also the next supercharger on the way home, without entering all your extra Destinations on your Destination.

Reactions: SKRGO and KArnold
I noticed a -1(!) hour discrepancy between the Tesla incar navigation planer and abetterrouteplaner. In reality it took me 6 hrs (as planed by Tesla) instead of 5 hrs (as planed by abetterrouteplaner). Needless to say which planer I favor...

I noticed a -1(!) hour discrepancy between the Tesla incar navigation planer and abetterrouteplaner. In reality it took me 6 hrs (as planed by Tesla) instead of 5 hrs (as planed by abetterrouteplaner). Needless to say which planer I favor...
ABRP route planning is based on speed limits and your input - not traffic. So basically you get a "best case" estimate when it comes to driving times. However, this also means that for battery, it is usually conservative - more traffic means lower consumption.

@blincoln: Do you have data that supports (what I believe to be) the default Reference Consumption of the Model 3 LR 18" Aero Wheels (247 Wh/m at 65 MPH) vs. that of the 19" Wheels (286 Wh/m)? There has been recent speculation in several threads that the 19" wheels don't suffer that high (~15%) an energy usage penalty. Some folks claim the penalty is essentially zero or close to it. What do you think?

@blincoln: Do you have data that supports (what I believe to be) the default Reference Consumption of the Model 3 LR 18" Aero Wheels (247 Wh/m at 65 MPH) vs. that of the 19" Wheels (286 Wh/m)? There has been recent speculation in several threads that the 19" wheels don't suffer that high (~15%) an energy usage penalty. Some folks claim the penalty is essentially zero or close to it. What do you think?
Fot what I know ABRP don’t know if a certain car have 18” or 19” wheels wish makes that statistics hard to get.

Nope, this is only based on the measurements made by some institute claiming that the 19" wheels consume 15% more - but I have no data yet. If anyone has more measurements I'd be happy to know.

I think that the 19" wheels would mostly consume more at higher speeds where the worse aerodynamics come more into play. So really, it is not just about scaling everything up by 15% (or whatever) but rather to modify the whole consumption-vs-speed curve.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J