Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can answer part of this, based on things I've learned from a little side project. The stall occupancy data is available from the Tesla API. It shows the total and occupied stalls counts (plus some other data such as coordinates) for four Supercharger sites that are deemed to be close to where your car is currently located (it's basically the same information that's available on the charging screen in the mobile app).

Thanks for the response. I was beginning to wonder whether my post even showed up!

What's strange is that I was traveling through a very Supercharger-sparse area almost the entire day. For sure as I was approaching my second charging stop I was conceivably only "near" 2 Superchargers total (basically along the part of the route I highlighted in yellow below:

upload_2019-7-29_13-58-15.png

To better share data from your Tesla (especially Model 3), go to Settings->More Settings->MyTesla login
Am I in the minority? I can't convince myself to login to My Tesla via ABRP, even though ABRP seems trustworthy, and they state that login information remains local to the car browser without being stored on any servers. I don't understand all of the in-between steps (API, token, etc.) and where all the information really goes. The consequence of my Tesla login information falling into the wrong hands is that someone could steal my car. That risk greatly outweighs the benefit of accurate and convenient real-time trip planning.

While ABRP works great on my PC desktop, it's essentially a brick in the Model 3 browser without current GPS info via the Tesla API. I would prefer at least simple functionality in the car, where I could manually enter my own SOC and approximately locate myself on the map with my finger... without routing through my Tesla credentials. Thoughts?

Am I in the minority? I can't convince myself to login to My Tesla via ABRP, even though ABRP seems trustworthy, and they state that login information remains local to the car browser without being stored on any servers. I don't understand all of the in-between steps (API, token, etc.) and where all the information really goes. The consequence of my Tesla login information falling into the wrong hands is that someone could steal my car. That risk greatly outweighs the benefit of accurate and convenient real-time trip planning.

While ABRP works great on my PC desktop, it's essentially a brick in the Model 3 browser without current GPS info via the Tesla API. I would prefer at least simple functionality in the car, where I could manually enter my own SOC and approximately locate myself on the map with my finger... without routing through my Tesla credentials. Thoughts?

I can only speak for myself...but the risk seems extremely low to me.

Let's say that some kind of security flaw in ABRP's system did in fact expose a Tesla login tokens, and if you are truly concerned, you should use a token rather than login credentials as it will expire after a set time period, effectively giving the hacker a strict time limit to steal your car.

Now, even if said hacker had access to ALL Tesla tokens input into the system, in order to physically steal your car, they would have to use your token to log into the app, unlock your vehicle and climb inside. Yes, they can locate your car, but they would have to be physically near it, mind you. Out of all the cars out there, what do you think the chances are that they would be near yours?

But let's say you are unlucky. They can then get inside and start the car, and darn....you set PIN to drive! They can't steal your car after all!

And believe me, if you aren't the unluckiest Tesla owner on the planet, I'm pretty sure that if a Tesla (or 10) were stolen using such a method that it would be pretty widely publicized and all you would have to do is reset your password to invalidate any tokens.

Is it impossible for such a hack? Probably not impossible, but incredibly difficult, and even then, the chances of your car being the one actually stolen seems incredibly remote.

I personally don't worry about it. But if you are more risk averse, use PIN to drive and/or just use ABRP in your car without your Tesla login. I don't understand why you say it's a brick in the car?

Out of all the cars out there, what do you think the chances are that they would be near yours?
I hear you, and I agree it's a remote possibility. But I don't go around the parking lot dropping ICE car keys just because it's improbable that someone could figure out which car they belong to. Seems unnecessary.

I'm pretty sure that if a Tesla (or 10) were stolen using such a method that it would be pretty widely publicized and all you would have to do is reset your password to invalidate any tokens.
Again, I see your point, but if that hypothetical breach was identified after the hacker pinched my car, I'd be peeved.

I don't understand why you say it's a brick in the car?
Based on the error message ABRP posted, and the fact that ABRP located my car 1500 miles away, ABRP seemed to need GPS location to calculate the route plan. After some more fumbling with the UI, I see that I can manually enter my location with my finger, and tweak the SOC by hand. So in the end, I can utilize ABRP without disgorging my Tesla credentials, which helps me sleep better. Sorry for the PEBKAC* error.

* Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
I hear you, and I agree it's a remote possibility. But I don't go around the parking lot dropping ICE car keys just because it's improbable that someone could figure out which car they belong to. Seems unnecessary.

Again, I see your point, but if that hypothetical breach was identified after the hacker pinched my car, I'd be peeved.

Hmmm...maybe you should not drive a Tesla then? What if the Tesla server itself, or your phone gets hacked? I mean the possibility is remote, but it's not 0.

Not only that, but the potential thieves probably don't intend to actually steal your car and then use it. In fact, it would likely not be very usable to them, given that the moment they plugged into a Supercharger they'd be giving up their location. More likely they would part the car out. And if that's their end intent, why wouldn't they just show up with a flatbed and steal your car the old fashioned way?

I am not suggestion that we should throw caution to the wind, but at least in the case of a well known and heavily used app like ABRP, the risks don't seem to rise above negligible for me.

I get a bunch of phantom drain when I sign into 3rd party apps, or more precisely, I blame any loss in power on 3P apps although it's probably just my car keeping itself cool... Perhaps when I get the solar installed I'll not care as much.

I have tried to track the phantom drain and the only app I trust is the EV-FW.com. I *use* TezLab, but I don't like how much drain I get, and I often log out just to be sure any issues are not its fault. When I am actually road tripping I'll sign into ABRP, but it seems to log itself out faster than the other two so I am often not signed into it. And w/o an app telling me to sign back in, I let it go.

Perhaps there will be less need for third party apps, when they do that.
I'm not so sure. Reminds me of the sign in the ice cream store, "We have an agreement with the bank. They don't sell ice cream and we don't cash checks. "

Tesla makes a decent car but they write terrible apps. They should let the subject matter experts do what they do best - Tesla builds cars and map/game/utility/productivity developers do their thing. Just build an API and they will come. That's why apps are being pushed into browsers everywhere else in the known universe.

Just imagine how much further along we'd be if the Tesla browser worked, with multiple tabbed browsing, and sound/video feedback, API's to the car's systems, and enough bandwidth to support basic streaming? The future would be unlimited. You would have a choice of a dozen UI's to choose from.

And Tesla could simply do what they do best. And stop totally what they are so incredibly bad st doing. It's a win for Tesla, for 3rd party developers, and for consumers.

Reactions: Duke-U
Does anyone know whether ABRP with logged in Tesla account cause extra phantom drain? I.e. does it pull data from the car regularly or only when in use? I find it a bit difficult to figure out, especially in relation to whether it impedes the car to go in its ultra deep sleep, like it normally does when 24h not in use.

Does anyone know if ABRP takes into account SCer throttled "vintage" Model S 85Ds?

I stopped by SC yesterday with 41 miles of RR and only got a max of 67 kW. I only needed like 5-6 miles of margin to get home. and I had to pee, so it wasn't all for nothing, but I worry about my next 2000 mile road trip. if my proposed 20 minute stop will actually be 35 minutes, it will destroy my trip. :mad:

Does anyone know if ABRP takes into account SCer throttled "vintage" Model S 85Ds?

I stopped by SC yesterday with 41 miles of RR and only got a max of 67 kW. I only needed like 5-6 miles of margin to get home. and I had to pee, so it wasn't all for nothing, but I worry about my next 2000 mile road trip. if my proposed 20 minute stop will actually be 35 minutes, it will destroy my trip. :mad:
If you know the max speed your car can charge, you can enter that in ABRP for a given charging stop and see if the time estimate changes.

Reactions: Two-rocks