Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A month or two back, we switched from supercharge.info to tesla.com for supercharger info since supercharge.info was missing a few new pieces of information (probably due to the Google maps pricing issues). However, it has always been the case that supercharge.info contains community-corrected data and things which Tesla do not provide, so we would prefer using supercharge.info instead.

What is the current status of @BlueShift 's project - is it kept up-to-date?

Edit: Anyhow, I added a power override in the ABRP database, so the power for Plano and North Central will now be corrected to 72 kW. Let me know if you find more errors!

@blincoln, I remember the switch on your setup as another resource (GPS Visualizer) had to forego the always-free Google Map options as well. Thanks for finding alternate ways to maintain operation of your site / app.

On a related topic, a few of us who maintain the list / game of "Superchargers visited" are going to try and get in touch with BlueShift to see if we can mention some updates to some of the locations listed in his data. As far as I know, his info is up-to-date and never more than a few days at most it seems. In fact, there was a new location added just today (as the current default page is the list of "Changes") from a post yesterday of some progress photos.

Strange. I looked at it yesterday and it worked as intended and even had some new features since I used it last time (a few months prior). Today it is working just the same for me, has saved routes, remembered the car I selected yesterday, etc. No issues for me, @Half Dollar Bill and @RTPEV. Maybe note what the issues are in case I'm just not seeing it or can try it myself?

Glad to hear @blincoln is on a road trip. I need to get out there again sometime soon.

I suspect it's some weird cookie problem. I did have to log in to ABRP and Tesla again and had to click a few acknowledgements, but it still did not remember my saved plans. Not a huge deal really.

I haven't been following ABRP news too closely (other than this forum). Does anyone know if he's assuming 145kW charging speed for Model 3's now?

I just did a plan for a 775 mile trip I take in the summer, and wow....13 hours of raw driving time, and my Model 3 needs a grand total of 1 hour and 4 minutes of charge time. Incredible. And this is without V3 Superchargers! It's absolutely insane.

A route that a naysayer brought up as being a good illustration of how impractical EVs are because he talked to a Tesla owner who had made the trip and swore he'd never do it again is Austin, TX to Orlando, FL. 16 hours and 23 minutes of driving time. The car needs a whopping 1 hour and 51 minutes of charging at 5 stops. Seriously, who takes their family to Disney and then needs to lock the family in so over 16 hours of travel they only get one hour of break? Sorry "you can't fill up in 5 minutes" people...game over!

I noticed the "Next Charger" button and it worked for me but I had just planned a trip and it brought up the "next charger" along the route. I had to log into it last week but hadn't used it for 2 months so that is normal to not remember something months later or I might have changed my Tesla password so it didn't bother me.

I also planned a trip in Germany to see the Tesla CCS option and it worked. Irony that I'm planning trips I'm not taking for a month but it works fine while others need to use it and it isn't working. Ha.

It's still working for me and hasn't lost my info. I did notice the new Next Charger button. It works...but when I try to use the left/right buttons on the side, nothing happens...and I'm not sure what should happen!

My Next Charger buttons are working fine. It just gives you options to skip ABRP's recommended charger and go to the next (or previous) one(s) and then tells you the impact to trip time and the arrival time/SOC at the alternate selected charger.

This is almost exactly the kind of functionality I am looking for when my wife says that it's getting time to think about going to the bathroom. The only thing missing is the ability to see what the utilization at that alternate charger is. But it does have a link to the charger homepage which lists amenities. If this works as well in the car browser as it does on my desktop, it is well worth the monthly donation I am making to ABRP.

I suspect it's some weird cookie problem. I did have to log in to ABRP and Tesla again and had to click a few acknowledgements, but it still did not remember my saved plans. Not a huge deal really.

I haven't been following ABRP news too closely (other than this forum). Does anyone know if he's assuming 145kW charging speed for Model 3's now?

I just did a plan for a 775 mile trip I take in the summer, and wow....13 hours of raw driving time, and my Model 3 needs a grand total of 1 hour and 4 minutes of charge time. Incredible. And this is without V3 Superchargers! It's absolutely insane.

A route that a naysayer brought up as being a good illustration of how impractical EVs are because he talked to a Tesla owner who had made the trip and swore he'd never do it again is Austin, TX to Orlando, FL. 16 hours and 23 minutes of driving time. The car needs a whopping 1 hour and 51 minutes of charging at 5 stops. Seriously, who takes their family to Disney and then needs to lock the family in so over 16 hours of travel they only get one hour of break? Sorry "you can't fill up in 5 minutes" people...game over!

@RTPEV, this discourages me when I try to show how seamless a Tesla trip can be and it just doesn't sink in to them. Also, there are very few vehicles that can make a 775-mile trip without a stop and probably none who could do the trip with a family. Anything else would need at least 1 gas stop and I bet that gas stop would take 5 minutes to get to the station, fill up, and be on their way again. If that is the only stop they'd no doubt need a bathroom break of ~10 minutes so it is already a 15-minute break. Not many families I know like to go 5 to 6 hrs non-stop and prefer to stop every 2 to 4 hrs at most. Add up 4 stops at 5 to 10 minutes each and it is an additional 20 to 40 minutes plus the 10-15 minute fuel stop so they could very well take an additional 30 to 60 minutes for their trip in a gas car. So the real "additional time" for a Tesla is a mere 1 hr longer ... for a 16.5 hr drive and 775 miles?

Yep, it boggles my mind sometimes how they don't realize how much time they DO spend taking breaks or that while they are eating a meal that their vehicle is not being refueled but is just sitting there. Or that they don't arrive rested and relaxed like someone utilizing AutoPilot for much of the trip.

My Next Charger buttons are working fine. It just gives you options to skip ABRP's recommended charger and go to the next (or previous) one(s) and then tells you the impact to trip time and the arrival time/SOC at the alternate selected charger.

This is almost exactly the kind of functionality I am looking for when my wife says that it's getting time to think about going to the bathroom. The only thing missing is the ability to see what the utilization at that alternate charger is. But it does have a link to the charger homepage which lists amenities. If this works as well in the car browser as it does on my desktop, it is well worth the monthly donation I am making to ABRP.
Nothing happens when I use the left or right arrow buttons...maybe because there aren't any alternatives or the trip can't be made without the Next Charger.

If you try a route out west where the Superchargers are few and far between, do the left/right buttons for Next Charger actually do anything?

Nothing happens when I use the left or right arrow buttons...maybe because there aren't any alternatives or the trip can't be made without the Next Charger.

If you try a route out west where the Superchargers are few and far between, do the left/right buttons for Next Charger actually do anything?

I think you answered your own question. When I plan a trip from even Custer, SD to Salt Lake City, UT and select a Long Range Model 3 there are zero "other" chargers available. The pop-up window indicates "(1/1)" so there is only 1 route available. I did a route from Buffalo to Albany and there were a lot of additional chargers since they are every 50 miles apart up there and the pop-up window indicates "(1/3)" as there are 3 chargers not initially on the route.

Change your Wh/mi down to 150 (so it can skip some chargers) and I bet the arrows will work for you or the pop-up window will indicate more than a single option for the trip.

upload_2019-4-4_14-29-27.png

upload_2019-4-4_14-31-2.png

I think you answered your own question. When I plan a trip from even Custer, SD to Salt Lake City, UT and select a Long Range Model 3 there are zero "other" chargers available. The pop-up window indicates "(1/1)" so there is only 1 route available. I did a route from Buffalo to Albany and there were a lot of additional chargers since they are every 50 miles apart up there and the pop-up window indicates "(1/3)" as there are 3 chargers not initially on the route.

Change your Wh/mi down to 150 (so it can skip some chargers) and I bet the arrows will work for you or the pop-up window will indicate more than a single option for the trip.

Your suggestion does show me how it works when there are alternatives. Thanks.

Sounds like he should remove the buttons if there are no alternatives or display a message since there's absolutely no feedback when I click on them.

Yep, it boggles my mind sometimes how they don't realize how much time they DO spend taking breaks or that while they are eating a meal that their vehicle is not being refueled but is just sitting there. Or that they don't arrive rested and relaxed like someone utilizing AutoPilot for much of the trip.

I take this trip every summer, so I know exactly how long it takes in a gas vehicle (I haven't yet take then Tesla). My wife and I stop for a total of 2.5 hours on this trip if you add everything together. So the Tesla isn't even close to being the limiting factor.

Bringing it back to ABRP, I constantly encourage people to actually go to ABRP and investigate their own trips themselves and actually time their own trips so they can discover how much time they really are spending at rest stops.

Not to mention that with the support for various cars, you can cross-shop among various cars (and see how much better the Supercharger network really is).

• Informative
Reactions: Darren S