Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few questions remain after test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did my test drive in the MS yesterday, the car was a multicolor red P85+ and did it in Geneva. I have to say even though I was going in with very high expectations from everything I've read here I was still blown away with the car
Chatted with Jacque (the rep) about the car, the 3G service (he expected the current free period to end within a couple of months with plans announced or you'll use tethering from your own phone), the service plans which it seems I'll probably not even be able to buy because I'm outside of core market (that solves that question) and many more details.

I wasn't able to spend as much time on the car due to the fact that my original VIP meeting overran by 15 minutes and I had already rescheduled 15 min later so overall a delay from me of 30 minutes, but he was very pleasant and helpful and accommodating because that was for me the ONLY time I could do the test at all before having to confirm the car so I'm extremely happy that Tesla was so forthcoming on short notice to arrange the drive (they came ~30 km out of Geneva to my meeting place at one of the CERN sites and the test drive was back to my office).

This company will go far as I seriously doubt any other company would have done this. I'm from Estonia, flew in to Geneva for one day on other business and they arranged a test drive knowing that I would not buy from Geneva. Which other car company would have done that?

Here's a happy me after the drive:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/102023764@N04/9787152814/

So I'm sold, definitely going to order now (already have deposit paid and order on hold, has been waiting for me to hit confirm) just after I get the insurance offer and I will be pestering them EVEN more now hoping to confirm still this week (one of the most promising insurers promised an offer by Friday).

Here are however a few questions that I still have bugging me:

* Type-2 and Type-3 cables. I guess I can use any Type-2 to Type-2 and any Type-3 to Type-2 cable for the charging? The chargers in Estonia use Type-2 (and CHAdeMO, but that's still in the wait from Tesla), but those in Latvia for example use Type-3. Ideas where one could get them?

* What exactly does the winter package entail. As I understand it's mostly the rear seat heating and wiper defroster as well as the window cleaner nozzle defrosters. Is that all or is there something else as well more hidden in the construction.

* Security package. From a test drive video in Norway I understood that the security package only adds some sensors and the car actually by default already has some form of security package (i.e. lock+alarm?) so I wanted to understand what exactly is the difference of the car with and without the security package.

* If the car is delivered in January, what kind of tires would it have? Will it come with winter tires AND summer tires or only the season when the car is delivered?

* Dog separator. As I understand the rear seats can be folded down (sadly forgot and we didn't have time for it anyway) so I was curious if you know if there is any way to also add a cargo/dog separator limiting them to the rear of the car?

So if anyone has answers I'd love to hear them.

Well - most of your questions appear to be EU specific. While some on here are from EU, they are very few and I haven't seen any that have taken delivery and can answer your questions. Can you change the title to make it EU specific?

Moderators - not to alienate the EU, but should this be moved to EU or do we need a new subtopic for EU delivery question?

Certainly in the US, no cars are delivered with snow tires.

Ok, I called Tesla :) Probably should have done that long time ago, but anyway as I got today the best insurance offer so far (and it's now in the range I was targeting) I'm ready to finalize so here's what I heard:

* Cables: as long as there's a Type-II connector in one end Tesla doesn't care :) But they don't provide those cables themselves.

* Winter package entails exactly ONLY what's listed on the web: rear-seat heaters, wiper blade heaters, washer nozzle heaters. Everything else is in standard anyway (means I won't be taking it)

* Security system. This they had to look up and I got this e-mail:

Standard alarm specs: horn, indicator lights, immobilizer
Triggers: latch (door, trunk, hood) transitions

VS.

Security package alarm: horn, indicator lights, immobilizer + cabin intrusion sensor, battery-backed siren, acoustical alarm/optical alarm, perimeter and spatial detection, slope detection, emergency power alarm.
Triggers: latch (doors, hood, truk) transitions + car tilts, object enters vehicle, siren/battery is disconnected.

* Tires: the car comes with all-season M+S tires. If I want winter tires I can order them extra and then they can fit them before delivery and ship the all-season ones separately (or if it fits put in the trunk).

* Dog separator: only third party if any :)

So all-in-all I'll still contemplate the security package, but am close to pressing the confirm button now :)

Glad to see you got your questions answered. Thanks for sharing your Q&A with us, and another great story about Tesla customer service. I am sure you are going to enjoy your purchase.

GSP