Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A gearhead buys a Telsa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched the video start to finish (except the non-Tesla parts on Waymo and Millenials); and having seen their show a few times in the past year, felt it was quite a different reception from the panel for Tesla this time around, still a few jabs in there as I saw it but overall way more receptive and acknowledging what Tesla has been working towards in the past and achieved to date. Saw a few TMC people pop up in the chat BTW.

After this last quarter and what's been reported this quarter, hard for them to be dismissive. They even brought up Porsche's North America's Klaus Zellmer's comments to the LATimes made about Tesla's accomplishments ("truly astonishing", "even more astonishing"). Probably also helped to have Henry Payne (Detroit News), a Tesla owner and fan of racing his own cars, on the show who has owned his RWD LR car -- since October I believe. He clearly was someone they respected who I thought gave a pretty decent interview about his experiences. They asked him about his long wait ordering his car; but then after describing his experience he went on to say that a friend of his ordered his car and got it like within a month more recently. Sure there are people out there who think the wait hasn't improved so liked that that came out.

I did find it interesting at the end of the show to hear the panel's comments on how they think other automakers will do with their new EVs coming up. Interesting times ahead.

Reactions: adaptabl
Some observations:
- "the early cars.... autopilot". Wrong. The early cars didn't even have parking sensors. He really means "some cars earlier than mine when I started paying attention to this Tesla thing."
- (paraphrased discussion of potholes) When I put it on autopilot to check the text on my phone. NO. Don't do that. It's stupid and unsafe, and illegal in many places.

Some of the guys were obviously smug and dismissive, odd but not surprising

Disappointed the first thing the Tesla owner has to say is he does not believe in climate change. I suppose that maybe says more for the car that he doesn't think he 'needs' to move off gas cars but still likes this one.
I also don't believe in climate change. Fake News. But I believe Tesla has been building great cars and I'm excited to get my M3P. Tentatively setup for Friday delivery. Looking forward to driving a fun car!! I didn't buy the car to go green. I bought it for the performance and future updates. I do believe in FSD and purchased it off menu. Not sure I'll ever track the car but it will be another bonus if I do.

I also don't believe in climate change. Fake News.

Could all the crap we are spewing into the atmosphere be good? Forget all the science, if the septic tank is full, you must get it pumped out. As long as we don't see it again, it does not exist. Its gone from my yard.

In the case of the Ozone and every other zone, if what you believe is true ,in the largest way even, where is it all going? I can't see it.

The great big septic tank in our atmosphere.

Thats where.

The great garbage patch in the ocean.

The landfill mountain in your state, county, city.

Getting fuller and fuller. Who do we call to pump it out and take it away? We created this mess. Before long we won't be able to stay here any longer. The proof is all around you.

WE live in a superfund clean up site of varying degrees on the ground depending on where you live, that we will never be able to clean up. Slow down maybe, clean up completely, never.

Is Tesla Cars and Batteries the answer, NO. But its a path to the future solution perhaps. Is going to Mars the answer? Maybe.

There are a lot of really smart folks that under their breath to those who will listen perhaps in high places, have recognized since Kennedy's time, were gonna have to find alternate means in the future.

A lot of Tesla product is made in China. The Chinese are the worst abusers by far of the environment in front of India and the USA. Guilty guilty, guilty. Ignorance does not solve this issue going forward. Innovation starts it, I hope for the future, not mine but those coming well down the road.

You're trying to bring science and logic into this discussion. You will only frustrate yourself.
Thank you, I was having moment. I just can't learn, its who I am. Right is right. Thanks again for at least reading. I almost included geography and religion and I backed up real quick.

I'm learning, differing view points makes this world go round. We would not have longs if we did not have shorts. Its balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
As someone who has done a certified gas to diesel swap along with a variety of other repairs, that guy didn't strike me as a gearhead, but I guess labels these days are a little more pliable than they used to be.

I'm still shocked at how much ish people get wrong about Tesla, but as the saying goes, it's difficult to get someone to understand something when their paycheck depends on them not understanding it.

As someone who has done a certified gas to diesel swap along with a variety of other repairs, that guy didn't strike me as a gearhead, but I guess labels these days are a little more pliable than they used to be.

I'm still shocked at how much ish people get wrong about Tesla, but as the saying goes, it's difficult to get someone to understand something when their paycheck depends on them not understanding it.

I think the comfort and ease factor of sticking with the known also plays into people's choices. Some people simply are very resistant to change (talking "new car technology" here not climate). At some point doubt resisters will have a choice if they live long enough.

When my husband bought our MS, I wasn't so influenced by the green aspect of the car. I was wowed by other obvious factors like great ride, instant acceleration, quiet engine, no fumes (could sit in your garage if you wanted with the car running and not produce carbon monoxide that would drift up into the bedrooms above the garage), and liked the look and actually the unclutterness of the interior. The longer we had it, the green aspect of it crept more into my thinking. We have oil refineries in the Bay area that frequently triggering "shelter in place" alerts. Oil products get into our waterways and land. We previously lived in a place that had a plume of gasoline from the nearby gas station's underground tanks working it's way towards our complex. When you fly into places like LA or see images of Beijing or even European cities covered in horrible smoggy air, it's hard to ignore the effect ICE vehicles (gasoline and diesel) have on the air we breathe. I have allergies and asthma so it does hit home. While adults tend to tolerate air pollution better, most adults have kids that don't. Can't see people wanting their kids to develop respiratory problems (which many times will end up being lifelong ailments).

Anyway I do think man has an affect on the air, land and water around us (pretty undeniable going from open air country to cities) and it's in our best interests to minimize that as much as we can. Don't even have to bring the larger picture of climate change into it. I will say that I personally feel better knowing that I'm driving a car that not only is fun to drive but isn't contributing to the bad air that I and everyone else in my area is breathing. I do feel that either assisting the purchase of zero emission vehicles is a worthwhile investment or penalizing those that continue to drive ICE vehicles that damage our air quality is the way to go. With EVs catching on in a big way thanks to Tesla making a stylish and fun car, I think the carrot approach rather than the stick approach will eventually work best. Well that's my two cents.

Last edited:
I think the comfort and ease factor of sticking with the known also plays into people's choices. Some people simply are very resistant to change (talking "new car technology" here not climate).

Agreed. Some of my friends clearly choose convenience (fast fueling) over anything else and these are smart people with technical backgrounds. More shocking to me is one is about to become a family with first child

Showing the upside to the wallet (maintenance costs, no fuel costs, etc) or car pool lane access for us Bay Area folks is sadly the best way to influence them so there is that.. one friend got a used Fiat 500e (for cheap) for the carpool lane access alone and was pleasantly surprised to see a $200 a month drop in commute costs.

Reactions: kablammyman
Gearhead, 75, 1979 Malibu with BB 800HP, 1985 Chevy PU with 400HP 350 in the garage. I am building a Rat Rod now, 300 HP Cummins.
My S is a different breed. They all have their place.
Tesla is a futuristic car, most guys in my club have no clue about it. I love it. Other than I've gotten 6 warnings from police for racing or speeding. It's so nice to drive, I've been in 25 states and more cities.
So, from a gearhead, its really cool. And a chick magnet. Girls from 18 to 80 love it. :)