Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good time to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Thanks to the responses on my previous post, I will be joining the family and purchasing a Model 3 this year. I'm still new to Elon's tweets but based on today's activity, it seems like it may be in my financial interest to buy it before the prices go up. The alternative is carpooling with my buddy until the fall when I'll need my own car.

If you were in my shoes, would you put your order in soon or just hold off until the fall?

I would absolutely order now. Especially if you want FSD.

I've been holding off on ordering the car for nearly a year - I have meticulously calculated and kept Excel sheets for my exact model for quite some time, calculating it each time there has been a price update for my model - AWD LR, White, AP, FSD, 18'' Wheels

I can say for me personally, it's never been cheaper to order than it has been today, especially with Autopilot now being included - let's face it, the announcement today is that basically the cost of autopilot is being moved over the FSD, so you can expect to pay a few thousand more for the same car on May 1st you would order today.

Reactions: longshot49
I would absolutely order now. Especially if you want FSD.

I've been holding off on ordering the car for nearly a year - I have meticulously calculated and kept Excel sheets for my exact model for quite some time, calculating it each time there has been a price update for my model - AWD LR, White, AP, FSD, 18'' Wheels

I can say for me personally, it's never been cheaper to order than it has been today, especially with Autopilot now being included - let's face it, the announcement today is that basically the cost of autopilot is being moved over the FSD, so you can expect to pay a few thousand more for the same car on May 1st you would order today.
I was trying to hold off as long as I could and save .. but it seems like it makes financial sense to order it now with the price drop.

I want the same config as yours but in black...yet I find myself thinking about the P3D as well

I think you should wait until the end of this month to make sure you don't get an HW2.5 car. At the event on 22 April Elon will probably announce that all cars coming out of the factory since the beginning of this month have HW3.0. Yes, but during the first 6 weeks of each quarter, production is for Europe/APAC and they still have some unsold HW2.5 cars in North America from Q1. Therefore it's better to wait until the end of April.

Model 3 production will most likely switch to North America around May 13th. If you are ordering FSD, you will get HW3.0 retrofit anyway but that could take a few months because they will need to do around 120,000 retrofits.

Last edited:
Just as every computer owner knows, you wait until the future so that you can get the bigger, best, most capable, and cheapest.
And they have been waiting for 30+years.

I've had my Model 3 for just about a year, not a single regret. I've even had the opportunuty to see the car grow over the last year.

What's the saying? A bird in hte hand is worth two in the bush.
A Model 3 is in the hand the the Model Y is in the bush. So I expect to end up with the best of both.

I think you should wait until the end of this month to make sure you don't get an HW2.5 car. At the event on 22 April Elon will probably announce that all cars coming out of the factory since the beginning of this month have HW3.0. Yes, but during the first 6 weeks of each quarter, production is for Europe/APAC and they still have some unsold HW2.5 cars in North America from Q1. Therefore it's better to wait until the end of April.

Model 3 production will most likely switch to North America around May 13th. If you are ordering FSD, you will get HW3.0 retrofit anyway but that could take a few months because they will need to do around 120,000 retrofits.
If you get FSD, you get the upgraded computer for free. If you don’t get FSD, HW 3.0 won’t make much of a difference.

Hi all,

Thanks to the responses on my previous post, I will be joining the family and purchasing a Model 3 this year. I'm still new to Elon's tweets but based on today's activity, it seems like it may be in my financial interest to buy it before the prices go up. The alternative is carpooling with my buddy until the fall when I'll need my own car.

If you were in my shoes, would you put your order in soon or just hold off until the fall?

You'll start saving money once you get into an EV vs an ICE car, so the accounting behind 'waiting' may be skewed a bit in your favor by that. Especially with gas prices on the rise in Ontario, and if your current car requires premium dino juice its even more in your favor to buy now. This is assuming you could afford to buy now and dont need to wait the extra time to save up for the downpayment, etc....

I was also seeing some posts where people who were financing (if you are doing this) were saying the rates were going up slightly over the past month or so...that's a crapshoot, but if you wait and the rates go up that also eats into the 'savings' equation by delaying the purchase.

Overall, aside from the financial aspect (which IMO is enough to justify buying now) I think if you buy later you'll wish you had bought earlier because once you experience driving the model 3 (AWD or Performance since those are the models you are considering), you'll regret not having it sooner :p

Good luck, and hope to welcome you to the 'cult' soon!

Hasn't been mentioned in this post, and I'm sure you're aware - but if you're looking for the best "deal" - remember to check on demo units, floor models, etc.
Also, needs to be stated, pricing has been all over the show. Better off buying something that you can afford and enjoying it vs worrying about timing of the best deal since there will surely be a better one in the future.
The car is amazing, as is the family, you won't be disappointed.