Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full size spare questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, planning a 1000 mile trip soon in my 2023 MYLR5. I’m sourcing a used wheel + a new tire that will serve as a full size spare. I’ve read about Modern Spare and T Sportline but those donut spares aren’t for me. Few questions:
  1. Looking to purchase from Craigslist or Marketplace. What should I be looking out for? Wouldn’t have a way to confirm if it will hold air or if it’s true until I mount a new tire. Any pointers to avoid issues?
  2. Will a 19” Gemini wheel from a 2021 fit my 2023?
  3. I think it is ok, and expected, to get one with curb rashes. Prices range from $90 to $250 based on condition. Any issues with getting one on the low end of the price range with curb rashes?
  4. The goal is to get an identical tire to the one I have on the car. If I can’t purchase an exact match, and buy a different brand tire, what issues can be expected?
  5. Spare tire will be brand new while the tires on the car have 3K miles. What do I need to be prepared for with regards to the car sensing a different tread level on one tire if I end up using the spare?
  6. I believe the tires are not directional. How can I confirm? If they are directional, how would one use a spare on either side of the car?
  7. Thoughts about getting a BLE TPMS sensor? Will the spare register with the car and cause issues while sitting in the trunk?
  8. Anything else?
I’ve already purchased a Ram Promaster jack kit, a 21mm deep socket, 1/2” lug/socket wrench, tire plug kit, mechanics gloves, and an inflator. Jack pads to be ordered soon. Anything else?

Also, must I buy a torque wrench or will a regular lug wrench be ok?

I did a 200-250 mi trip within Georgia a few moths ago, however, this is much longer spanning 5 states and 15-16 hours one way. I want to be well prepared without going overboard.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm on my second car without a spare. I have:
  • AAA for towing
  • A can of Fix a Flat
  • A small Harbor Freight compressor that plugs into a cigarette lighter.
When I've destroyed a tire in the past, it's always been run flats. Newer cars monitor tire pressure.
1685496507277.png

I'm on my second car without a spare. I have:
  • AAA for towing
  • A can of Fix a Flat
  • A small Harbor Freight compressor that plugs into a cigarette lighter.
When I've destroyed a tire in the past, it's always been run flats. Newer cars monitor tire pressure.
View attachment 942612
Not sure how reliable AAA or Tesla roadside will be on long stretches between major cities. Also phone signal is patchy in some areas. I’ve heard of having to wait 2-3 hours for a tow truck. This can be back-breaking on top of an already 15 hour drive. Hence the interest in self-sufficiency.

Fix-a-flat goop isn’t the best in these foam lined tires.

Have an inflator/compressor that plugs into the 12V power outlet. Will also carry a battery powered inflator with a couple of high capacity batteries.

Reactions: Pianewman
  1. Looking to purchase from Craigslist or Marketplace. What should I be looking out for? Wouldn’t have a way to confirm if it will hold air or if it’s true until I mount a new tire. Any pointers to avoid issues?
  2. Will a 19” Gemini wheel from a 2021 fit my 2023?
  3. I think it is ok, and expected, to get one with curb rashes. Prices range from $90 to $250 based on condition. Any issues with getting one on the low end of the price range with curb rashes?
  4. The goal is to get an identical tire to the one I have on the car. If I can’t purchase an exact match, and buy a different brand tire, what issues can be expected?
  5. Spare tire will be brand new while the tires on the car have 3K miles. What do I need to be prepared for with regards to the car sensing a different tread level on one tire if I end up using the spare?
  6. I believe the tires are not directional. How can I confirm? If they are directional, how would one use a spare on either side of the car?
  7. Thoughts about getting a BLE TPMS sensor? Will the spare register with the car and cause issues while sitting in the trunk?
  8. Anything else?
1) Check to see if used rim is bent or is broken (cracked). Some amount of curb rash, if only cosmetic, doesn't matter.
2) Yes
3) No issue as long as the curb rash does not compromise the lip of the rim or if the rim is bent
4) When used as a spare, for short distances up to 50 MPH it won't matter.
5) No issue if the difference in tread depth between the left and right tire and front and rear tires do not exceed 2/32nd inch. Normally tread depth difference of greater than 2/32nd inch will trigger a driver message that it is time to rotate the tires. If the difference is excessive then the traction control might be activated, causing braking of the wheel with the smaller diameter tire. You can turn off traction control if you detect additional heat coming from the brake rotor (carefully use the palm of your hand close to but not touching the rotor, after driving a short distance, to sense for extra heat coming off the brake rotor.) This would indicate that the Tesla Model Y is applying the brake to the smaller wheel and tire.
6) The OE tires are not directional.
7) Don't know.
8) You don't need to use a torque wrench, just tighten using lug wrench by feel, Drive at a safe speed, i.e 50 MPH, until you get the tire repaired or replaced.

I don't see why you would need the lift pads, the Ram Promaster scissor jack appears to have a post (unknown diameter and height) that could fit into the lift point locator hole in frame rail of the Model Y. (LPT: Tesla Mobile Service does not use a jack pad when rotating tires. A single jack pad (lift pad) can be useful when raising the Tesla Model Y using a low profile floor jack.)

Anything else: Bring a pair of needle nose pliers in case you need to pull out a screw, nail or bolt from the tire before applying a plug. Consider a plug to be a temporary repair. (LPT: Remove wheel from vehicle (especially if rear wheel) before attempting to apply plug. Deflate tire (assuming you have a working tire inflator) before attempting to insert plug.)

If you purchased the tow hitch option (assuming you are not towing a trailer or bike rack on this trip) you can get a swing down tire carrier that will fit the receiver of the tow hitch.

Reactions: Redekw and AtlTesly
Thanks for responding.

If I’m using a full size spare that matches the rest if the tires, do I still need to be cautious and drive 50mph? I was expecting to drive normal. What am I missing?

You are correct that the ProMaster jack has the post that will insert into the receiving end at the jack mount points under the vehicle. I was going to carry lift pads in case a service shop doesn’t have them.

Do not have a tow hitch but that is a great idea. Hmm… $1300 for the tow hitch + $$ for a tire carrier. Tempting but too steep. I have a tire tote that will wrap the spare completely and I will have plenty of space in the rear cargo area.

Thabks again.

May just be me but I think you’re Over thinking it. 1000 miles isn’t a major distance. I do that every other week for work. I have a cheap tire plug kit and a mini compressor in the frunk. Never used it in years but if it was more then that a simple phone could solve a major issue.

If I’m using a full size spare that matches the rest if the tires, do I still need to be cautious and drive 50mph? I was expecting to drive normal. What am I missing?
50 MPH was because the spare tire might be old, already have a plug or several plug repairs. The tread pattern might be different or have more of less tread depth than the other tires.

The lug nuts can be checked again after some time driving. A torque wrench is one item you don't need to bring on a trip.

I do think you are being overly cautious in your tire repair scenario planning.

Starting out, check all tires for damage and proper (your preferred tire pressure.)

Bring a tire repair (plug kit), pliers, scissor jack and lug wrench and 21mm (Tesla size) deep socket.

Bring a spare wheel and tire (can be space saver size or full size if you prefer)

Bring a 12V or battery operated tire inflator.

Bring your phone (don't forget your phone charger) should you need to call for Tesla Roadside assistance, AAA etc.

Know the closest Tesla Service Centers along your planned route.

For Extra Credit: Bring a small 12V lithium jump starter so you can jump start the Tesla vehicle in the event the low voltage lithium battery fails while on your trip. (In all likelihood the low voltage lithium battery will be fine.) Store the jump starter pack in the front trunk bin. Know how to open the front hood in the event the low voltage battery fails. (LPT: A 9 volt battery or 123A cell and alligator clip leads attached to the wires behind the front tow eye hook cover plate will release the hood.)

Tire centers that have a floor lift will not need to use or agree to use lift pads. Floor lifts have moveable lift arms with built in pads. Using jack pads (lift pads) would probably increase the likelihood of the vehicle slipping while on a floor lift. Jack pads (lift pads) are when you use a single jack pad (lift pad) and a low profile floor jack that has a round metal cup at the end of the lift arm that can capture the lift pad.

Reactions: AtlTesly
50 MPH was because the spare tire might be old, already have a plug or several plug repairs. The tread pattern might be different or have more of less tread depth than the other tires.

The lug nuts can be checked again after some time driving. A torque wrench is one item you don't need to bring on a trip.

I do think you are being overly cautious in your tire repair scenario planning.

Starting out, check all tires for damage and proper (your preferred tire pressure.)

Bring a tire repair (plug kit), pliers, scissor jack and lug wrench and 21mm (Tesla size) deep socket.

Bring a spare wheel and tire (can be space saver size or full size if you prefer)

Bring a 12V or battery operated tire inflator.

Bring your phone (don't forget your phone charger) should you need to call for Tesla Roadside assistance, AAA etc.

Know the closest Tesla Service Centers along your planned route.

For Extra Credit: Bring a small 12V lithium jump starter so you can jump start the Tesla vehicle in the event the low voltage lithium battery fails while on your trip. (In all likelihood the low voltage lithium battery will be fine.) Store the jump starter pack in the front trunk bin. Know how to open the front hood in the event the low voltage battery fails. (LPT: A 9 volt battery or 123A cell and alligator clip leads attached to the wires behind the front tow eye hook cover plate will release the hood.)

Tire centers that have a floor lift will not need to use or agree to use lift pads. Floor lifts have moveable lift arms with built in pads. Using jack pads (lift pads) would probably increase the likelihood of the vehicle slipping while on a floor lift. Jack pads (lift pads) are when you use a single jack pad (lift pad) and a low profile floor jack that has a round metal cup at the end of the lift arm that can capture the lift pad.
I would also ad channel lock or cresent wrench. I had tires replaced before a road trip and my valve stem loosened up. It went totally flat in about a minute. I was surprised my ryobi tire inflator worked.

The jump starter is a great idea. I had a my battery totally die and I had to wait for a specialty Tow truck with Tesla jump capabilities to get it on the lift. This could be even more of a problem in remote areas. I was towing my golf cart on a trailer. Do not tow for any distance with a Tesla! I started out with 275 miles of range and could not make it 70, driving at 60mph

I believe that the TPMS needs to be rotating to send a radio signal.

I’ve already purchased a Ram Promaster jack kit, a 21mm deep socket, 1/2” lug/socket wrench, tire plug kit, mechanics gloves, and an inflator. Jack pads to be ordered soon. Anything else?

I would recommend getting some 10 to 12 inch side square plywood
to put under the scissor jack in case you park above some dirt or muddy ground.

Also, take some larger pieces of wood beam in a triangular shape to use as wheel chock,
especially for the front wheel, since only the rear wheel get locked when parked.

I would strongly recommend getting a second smaller scissor jack to lift the car using both
- the front lifting point (below the driver door) and​
- the rear lifting point (below the rear passenger door).​

There are multiple reasons for it:​
- If you get a very bad flat tire, the body of the car might be too low for the scissor to be used.​
So you can lift the car using another lifting point until the car is high enough to put your larger scissor jack under the car.​
- The car is very heavy, and the small crank will be gradually harder and harder to maneuver when lifting up the car.​
While if you use two scissors jack alternatively, this will be much easier as you can balance the load incrementally on each jack.​
- You have to be very careful when using scissors jacks, especially if you are not on a perfectly horizontal surface.​
The scissors jacks have a tendency to bend on one side or another when lifting the car because the car is not lifted​
exactly vertically but uses the opposite wheel on the same axial as pivot center.​
There have been in fact many accidents of scissor jack collapsing when someone was trying to steal a catalytic converter.​
So, if you have two scissors jacks, and if you notice that your scissor jack starts to bend a little bit in one side,​
you can readjust the position of the base by lowering it momentarily and transfer the weight on the other scissor jack.​
In fact, if you have used a floor jack, you might have noticed that the wheels of the floor jack roll a little bit when lifting a car.​
Note: I use as second scissor jack, a small Audi/Porsche aluminum jack that you can find on e-Bay.​
Try practicing lifting your car before your trip to be sure you scissor jack when folded is not too tall for your car.​
May be have also some flash light handy and a tire air pressure gauge.​
I would also get a tire tread depth gauge and a tire repair kit.​
Also, must I buy a torque wrench or will a regular lug wrench be ok?

Having a torque wrench is certainly recommended, and can be very practical if you plan doing the tire rotation yourself.

I got the following one, it is very easy to adjust and has its own box not shown of this web page.​

Last edited:
The jump starter is a great idea. I had a my battery totally die and I had to wait for a specialty Tow truck with Tesla jump capabilities to get it on the lift. This could be even more of a problem in remote areas. I was towing my golf cart on a trailer. Do not tow for any distance with a Tesla! I started out with 275 miles of range and could not make it 70, driving at 60mph

I would recommend installing a Bluetooth 12V Battery Monitor to check if your battery keeps the charge when the car is sleeping or need to be replaced.

Typically if you don't drive your car for a while, the 12V battery gets re-charged every two to three days for about two hours by the DC/DC inverter.

As an update, below is the list of items I’m carrying on this road trip. I may have gone a bit overboard :)

I purchased a used wheel with minor curb rash from a forum member for $225. New OE matching tire from Discount Tire for $325 and added a 5 tire road hazard warranty for $250. I plan to work in the 5th one into the tire rotations every 5K miles. Total cost $800.

Now I gotta figure out how all this will fit in the car. I plan to put the spare standing up in the rear cargo area inside the lower storage section and the rest of the things in the frunk if they fit. While I am prepared, I hope I never have to use any of this.
  • Mobile charger
  • J1772 adapter
  • CCS combo adapter
  • Power inverter
  • Extra flash drive (or SSD)
  • Ram Promaster jack + tools
  • 2nd small scissor jack
  • Jack base (SafeJack platform, plywood, board, etc.)
  • Wheel chocks - front wheels don’t lock when parked
  • Tire plug kit
  • Jack pads
  • Lug wrench (1/2 inch)
  • 21mm socket (1/2 inch)
  • Spare tire
  • Inflator (air compressor)
  • Milwaukee inflator + batteries
  • Milwaukee batteries + charger
  • Impact wrench (3/8)
  • Flashlight
  • Deep socket set (3/8)
  • Socket adapter set
  • Alligator clip leads
  • Portable power pack
  • Jump start kit
  • Jumper cables
  • Roof shade
  • Window shades
  • Umbrellas
  • Needle nose plier
  • Scissors
  • Tin snips
  • Screw drivers
  • Channel locks
  • Vice grip
  • Hammer
  • Crescent wrench
  • Road flares
  • Protective eye glasses
  • Gloves - nitrile and rubber coated
  • Rain ponchos
  • Microfiber towels
  • Reflective vest, safety vest
  • Reusable grocery bags
  • Zip ties
  • Nylon straps
  • Knife + blades
  • Toolkit socket set
  • Toolkit torx set
  • Duct tape
  • Trim removal tools
  • First aid kit
  • Plastic shopping bags
  • Reusable canvas bags
  • Large trash bags/contractor bags
  • List of superchargers
  • List of Tesla service centers
  • Know how to open frunk using battery pack + alligator clip leads, connect to wires behind tow eye hook cover
  • Learn how to remove frunk tub
IMG_2776.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2777.jpeg
    IMG_2777.jpeg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2778.jpeg
    IMG_2778.jpeg
    757.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2779.jpeg
    IMG_2779.jpeg
    866.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2780.jpeg
    IMG_2780.jpeg
    676.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2781.jpeg
    IMG_2781.jpeg
    824.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    794 KB · Views: 277
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
As an update, below is the list of items I’m carrying on this road trip. I may have gone a bit overboard :)

I purchased a used wheel with minor curb rash from a forum member for $225. New OE matching tire from Discount Tire for $325 and added a 5 tire road hazard warranty for $250. I plan to work in the 5th one into the tire rotations every 5K miles. Total cost $800.

Now I gotta figure out how all this will fit in the car. I plan to put the spare standing up in the rear cargo area inside the lower storage section and the rest of the things in the frunk if they fit. While I am prepared, I hope I never have to use any of this.
  • Mobile charger
  • J1772 adapter
  • CCS combo adapter
  • Power inverter
  • Extra flash drive (or SSD)
  • Ram Promaster jack + tools
  • 2nd small scissor jack
  • Jack base (SafeJack platform, plywood, board, etc.)
  • Wheel chocks - front wheels don’t lock when parked
  • Tire plug kit
  • Jack pads
  • Lug wrench (1/2 inch)
  • 21mm socket (1/2 inch)
  • Spare tire
  • Inflator (air compressor)
  • Milwaukee inflator + batteries
  • Milwaukee batteries + charger
  • Impact wrench (3/8)
  • Flashlight
  • Deep socket set (3/8)
  • Socket adapter set
  • Alligator clip leads
  • Portable power pack
  • Jump start kit
  • Jumper cables
  • Roof shade
  • Window shades
  • Umbrellas
  • Needle nose plier
  • Scissors
  • Tin snips
  • Screw drivers
  • Channel locks
  • Vice grip
  • Hammer
  • Crescent wrench
  • Road flares
  • Protective eye glasses
  • Gloves - nitrile and rubber coated
  • Rain ponchos
  • Microfiber towels
  • Reflective vest, safety vest
  • Reusable grocery bags
  • Zip ties
  • Nylon straps
  • Knife + blades
  • Toolkit socket set
  • Toolkit torx set
  • Duct tape
  • Trim removal tools
  • First aid kit
  • Plastic shopping bags
  • Reusable canvas bags
  • Large trash bags/contractor bags
  • List of superchargers
  • List of Tesla service centers
  • Know how to open frunk using battery pack + alligator clip leads, connect to wires behind tow eye hook cover
  • Learn how to remove frunk tub
View attachment 949275
Sorry but this is just insanity in my view. You’re not driving across Africa on a safari. It’s a Very Simple 1000 mile drive. I have done this multiple dozens of times with nothing more than some coffee. You are WAY over thinking a non problem!

Reactions: DanDi58
Sorry but this is just insanity in my view. You’re not driving across Africa on a safari. It’s a Very Simple 1000 mile drive. I have done this multiple dozens of times with nothing more than some coffee. You are WAY over thinking a non problem!

In fact, to be safe, @AtlTesly should also include a Jackery Solar Generator /s.

Last edited:
img_2766-jpeg.949281

@AtlTesly About this Spare tire holder, is it something that you designed or who sells it?
How did you installed it? Did you have to make holes to attach it to the rear panel?
Does it fold flat to help accessing the trunk or to remove the spare tire from the trunk?
How much space is left between the back of the rear seat and the spare tire?

You may be right. It’s already a 16 hours+ drive. I don’t want it to drag out longer by having to wait for roadside assistance, God forbid, if a tire blows out. I’ve heard having to wait 1-3 hours and that may be worse further away from major cities. I’ve done this drive in an ICE car multiple times and there are patches where there is no mobile phone service. It’s all about being sufficiently (maybe overly) prepared. Again I’m hoping I never have to use any of these items.

I streamlined a bit. It packed up smaller than it looked when spread out.

IMG_2783.jpeg

img_2766-jpeg.949281

@AtlTesly About this Spare tire holder, is it something that you designed or who sells it?
How did you installed it? Did you have to make holes to attach it to the rear panel?
Does it fold flat to help accessing the trunk or to remove the spare tire from the trunk?
How much space is left between the back of the rear seat and the spare tire?

That is the plastic case for the Ram Promaster jack kit. It just happens to be the right shape and contour to wedge nicely to be snug against the tire in the lower cargo tub. Ultimately I decided to not take the bulky case. Will end up putting some other items to fill that gap so the tire doesn’t move around.

I totally understand the anxiety quotient of longish road trips, and the need to be prepared. I always carried tools, jack, spare tire, and also bought a spare/jack etc. for my 2021 MY.

I'm 69. I've logged tens of thousands of miles+ roadtripping, up and down the east coast a few dozen (yes!) times, coast-to-coast 6 times. Dragged a popup trailer 30k miles, and now, in the Tesla, 12k+ miles of roadtripping, FW to Denver/Aspen twice (through NW TX, NE NM, SE CO...desolate areas!), FW to FL 3 times, FW to Frederick MD once.

In ALL of those miles, I have had TWO FLATS, both on the popup trailer, failures occurring on the SAME TRIP, 400 miles apart (Goodyear Marathon tires had met their service life!). HAHAHA! I was prepared, I had 2 spares in the back of the Tundra.

I repeat. TWO FLATS!!!

I get it. Been there, done that (not QUITE as extreme, though) but my experience has taught me to just chill and enjoy the trip. I LOVE traveling in the MY, with my Vredestein SpaceMaster spare, hydraulic jack, breaker bar, 21m socket, gloves tucked in the back, 2
TAPTES Tesla Frunk suitcases in the frunk, and a single cooler in an empty cabin, w/o anything shifting around.

I've long since lost the panicked fear of being caught with a failure. I expect, when (not IF) it happens, I'll be just fine.

Attachments

• vredestein4.jpg
    vredestein4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 85