Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A loose dog bit my model 3. Where to find the right red paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per title :(

Am I able to order the paint and fix myself or is this something that a body shop should attend to?

IMG_4605.jpeg

Clip from right repeater (it's given me really good video that I can't upload to this forum).

2020-10-04_17-07-18.png

Oh genuine question - never been in a similar issue before.

My insurance or theirs? (It’s a farm liability insurance I would think).

The problem with mine is that it might affect my quotes won’t it? I have protected no claims for what it’s worth.

As per title :(

Am I able to order the paint and fix myself or is this something that a body shop should attend to?

Oh no :( been following your saga just getting hold of your car and now this when you’ve only had your car a few hours :(

Oh genuine question - never been in a similar issue before.

My insurance or theirs? (It’s a farm liability insurance I would think).

The problem with mine is that it might affect my quotes won’t it? I have protected no claims for what it’s worth.

Well, it’s their liability but it shouldn’t matter which insurance you go through. Either their insurance should sort it directly (easiest IMHO) or yours should be able to do it and claim it back off the third party, but in that case you’ll probably have to pay the excess up front and you’ll get it refunded providing the reclaim from the third party Is successful.

Did the farm admit liability? Or do you just have the camera to go with?

I wouldn't bother the insurers on that. You will probably find that any excess involved is far more than an independent body shop would charge to fix.

Fair point but IMO depends on whether the third party admitted liability. If so they have the choice of coughing up directly or going through their insurance.

I agree if I was funding it I would avoid insurance and just put it down to experience.

I would guess even though its not your fault it could affect your premiums going forward - you’re now a higher risk as you go through areas with rabid dogs. It shouldn’t, but it does make you higher risk.
Chipsaway type place could probably sort that - get a couple of quotes and show it to the farmer - he won’t be wanting to claim on his insurance if he can avoid it.
Personally, I’d take the money and buy a touch up kit for a few quid, then take the car to a body shop when something bigger happens - sabre toothed tiger, hammerhead shark, that kind of thing...

Thanks all,

Video is here:

I'll get a couple of quotes from ChipsAway type places. Unfortunately, there's no ChipsAway coverage here.

I've messaged the farm, no response yet. I'm on an island, so we all know each other - this dog has had a habit of doing similar things to a long list of cars. It's not a surprise. It even lost its tail on some farm machinery... Bonkers. We have a collie too so know how weird they can be once they're fixated on something.

Looking closer at the photo it's even starting to strip the paint off around the edge of the wheel arch... you definitely want to do something about that immediately... I assume the other marks are just water mixed with sand - if not the entire paint finish looks like it's screwed!

Good luck!!!