Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A-Pillar Misalignment - Serious Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that how apple got people to try the iphone? By making a more advanced phone that was built like crap? Or did they make a better product all around?

I think "built like crap" is strong language based on the photos we have seen. It is clear though that Tesla is not living up to the models that Musk himself identified as the primary competition that the Model-3 was being designed to destroy.

Reactions: C141medic
BMW 3 series for comparison;

Notice that the BMW gasket is not simply filling the gap between glass and pillar. It overlaps the glass by a lot, looks like more than 1/2 inch. That allows them to hide the actual gap between the parts which likely has worse tolerance than the Tesla (otherwise why use such a huge gasket? They can hide huge misaligned to the glass under that thing and probably do because the glass and pillar aren't adjustable. BMW did do a better alignment of the fender but that's because it was designed with a lot of adjustment tolerance (covered by very wide gaskets) so they can do manual final alignments. This is not higher quality in any real sense. It is purely cosmetic and if you peel back those gaskets you'd be saying "oh my god what horrible build quality." If you care about it, take the Tesla to a detailer and have the fender adjusted and paint correction done. Or walk away and get a BMW.

• Helpful
Reactions: Marsnaut
Yeah, Tesla's got a way to go with fit and finish. My wife's 2016 Mercedes C300 is A-pillar is shown.
This is one of the class of car the Model 3 is suppose to compete against. Mercedes can't do technology well, but they did a nice job on fit and finish for my wife's first year, new generation C-class.
I'm hoping Tesla is aggressively working on "first quality" issues, but based on the MS and MX, I may have to wait longer then this fall when the AWD comes available to get first class build quality.
Mercedes C300 A-pillar1 portrait.jpg Mercedes C300 A-pillar2 portrait.jpg

Attachments

• Mercedes C300 A-pillar1 portrait.jpg
    Mercedes C300 A-pillar1 portrait.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 445
  • Mercedes C300 A-pillar2 portrait.jpg
    Mercedes C300 A-pillar2 portrait.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 304
Yeah, Tesla's got a way to go with fit and finish. My wife's 2016 Mercedes C300 is A-pillar is shown.
This is one of the class of car the Model 3 is suppose to compete against. Mercedes can't do technology well, but they did a nice job on fit and finish for my wife's first year, new generation C-class.
I'm hoping Tesla is aggressively working on "first quality" issues, but based on the MS and MX, I may have to wait longer then this fall when the AWD comes available to get first class build quality.
View attachment 293329 View attachment 293330
What's the deal with the huge hood misalignment in those pictures?

Mercedes can't do technology well, but they did a nice job on fit and finish for my wife's first year, new generation C-class.
]

I rarely drive and I'm not a car person so I'm pretty indifferent to panel gaps/misalignments. I don't want to add on to the bashing but hacer's comments above your post was helpful (to me) in understanding the issue. The gaskets really do a good job in hiding things.

The second pillar doesn't seem to be even but the gasket conveniently covers/extends it, making it look more seamless. I guess Tesla should do something similar but personally I'm willing to cut them some slack.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
All auto companies have limited resources ($$) for the design & manufacturing of their automobiles. BMW/MBZ/Lexus/Infinity/etc allocate more resources to manufacture cosmetically superior automobiles while Tesla allocates more resources to the technology within their automobiles.

So, buy another brand if antiquated technology wrapped in a cosmetically flawless skin is your priority, or buy Tesla if you want to take the next step in the evolution of automobiles.

With the large number of drive unit failures and other tech options being replaced that's not one of Tesla's strong points.

Is that how apple got people to try the iphone? By making a more advanced phone that was built like crap? Or did they make a better product all around?

Uh, do you remember the original iPhone? No MMS, no apps, no cut/paste, etc. And they've had their share of problems on the journey to world domination: antenna and battery issues, new iOS versions bricking phones (oh no, there's that term again! :eek:). Sure it was revolutionary at the time, but it was hardly a better product "all around". That took time.

Kind of reminds me of TSLA... :D

Uh, do you remember the original iPhone? No MMS, no apps, no cut/paste, etc. And they've had their share of problems on the journey to world domination: antenna and battery issues, new iOS versions bricking phones (oh no, there's that term again! :eek:). Sure it was revolutionary at the time, but it was hardly a better product "all around". That took time.

Kind of reminds me of TSLA... :D

But they weren't coming apart at the seams. Telsa ships with software/electronics problems AND hardware flaws.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
I recently went to a buddy of mine's delivery here in Colorado and was in the process of doing our inspection of the car to find any paint defects, issues etc., and came across the base of the left A-pillar of the car (passenger side) jutting out. It was substantial enough to warrant a service tech coming over and telling us it was within the limits of their production model but I decided to look around. I went to multiple Model 3's in the delivery room, and outside. VIN's ranged from 5000 to 12,500 but all had the same issue. The right side A-pillar (driver's side) is lined up perfectly. The rubber piece that bridges the gab between the base of the A-pillar and the front quarter panel was lined up perfectly too. The passenger side was not. Wanted to post in here to see if other owners were seeing the same issue on their Model 3's. It's almost as if the frame of the car is a quarter of an inch too skinny...I could just be too picky though so if that's the consensus, just disregard this post, haha!

So that rubber stripping has gaps in it on BOTH sides of the car? That's what looks terrible to me.

The passenger side alignment does seem to be off by a little. I think whomever said it is the fender being slightly out of alignment may be right. But I didn't even notice that at first. I noticed the rubber being curved AND missing a chunk of it.

I would be ok with the slightly off alignment of the pillar/fender. But I'm not cool with the rubber. That looks like a leak and/or wind noise issue just waiting to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
My confidence that Tesla can fix these concerns is starting to "fray" a bit. Too much reliance on the SC to correct faults.

I'm still hanging in here, especially since I do not expect my vehicle until 2019. I just wish TMC would get the M3 right before launching the semi and the MY.

My confidence that Tesla can fix these concerns is starting to "fray" a bit. Too much reliance on the SC to correct faults.

I'm still hanging in here, especially since I do not expect my vehicle until 2019. I just wish TMC would get the M3 right before launching the semi and the MY.

I'm enjoying mine, so I guess it depends on your value of "right".

Reactions: navguy12
One benefit of a black paint is that panel misalignments are not as noticeable:

Mine is "slightly" misaligned as well.

Someone commented on the pictures of the BMW and Mercedes alignment that they were as bad or worse than the Model 3 but were being masked by things like size/width of seals used.

Based on this video it's just not close. My BMW 3 series doesn't have anything approaching what I'm seeing in the video as far as panel and trim misalignment.

Not sure if I would reject the Model 3 if it was delivered with that level of fit and finish but it's not "good enough" on a $50,000 car in my book.

Reactions: Sportstick
Someone commented on the pictures of the BMW and Mercedes alignment that they were as bad or worse than the Model 3 but were being masked by things like size/width of seals used.

Based on this video it's just not close. My BMW 3 series doesn't have anything approaching what I'm seeing in the video as far as panel and trim misalignment.

Not sure if I would reject the Model 3 if it was delivered with that level of fit and finish but it's not "good enough" on a $50,000 car in my book.

While I would love to have better build quality...what bothers me are issues that stagnate the quality of my driving experience. RATTLES!!! Unfortunately...I developed one. And the thing about rattles is that they are a pain to fix.

Thank you Stoneymonster .... that helps. In reality ... I have never seen a M3 in person. But I really love the pictures I have seen.

I have not given up, neither have I asked for my money back, but I would have thought alignment issues could/would have been solved by now. After all, they are robot assembled. Surely the robots can be fine adjusted? I think I am more concerned about the number of corrections that are made by the SC. Make no mistake ... I am glad that the SC is as competent as they seem to be, but it is a hell of an inconvenience to travel the many miles to the nearest SC.

My brother owns a MS and loves it. He is very knowledgeable about automobiles, and claims his is the best car he has ever owned. I do not think he has had any problems, but he has told me that he has taken it in for routine service and they have made corrections, adjustments that he was not even aware of.