Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Possible Solution for Dealing with Superchargers Being ICEd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's common for parking lot lines to be completely obliterated by snow. One car parks a bit off, another a bit more and soon almost no cars are in actual spaces. Driver pulls in, finds an empty 'space' and parks. Over the next couple of hours the sun comes out, melts the snow, lines reappear, and people start parking between the lines but your car is left in what a couple of hours prior was a valid space.

People need to be careful with vigilante justice.

It's common for parking lot lines to be completely obliterated by snow. One car parks a bit off, another a bit more and soon almost no cars are in actual spaces. Driver pulls in, finds an empty 'space' and parks. Over the next couple of hours the sun comes out, melts the snow, lines reappear, and people start parking between the lines but your car is left in what a couple of hours prior was a valid space.

People need to be careful with vigilante justice.

I do agree. That's where road rage incidents come from.

My SO is both a lawyer and a Psychologist. She runs groups for domestic violence perpetrators and has had pretty good success turning people around. She said they discussed road rage in group one week and she found it interesting that the guys had a tough time letting slights go when people cut them off. Like someone cutting you off in traffic was a deliberate insult on them.

I go by that "don't attribute to malice what can be explained by ____". Unless someone is showing some other signs of aggression, I assume anyone who cuts me off just wasn't paying enough attention and moved over when they shouldn't have. If they are also weaving all over the road, I assume they are drunk or texting.

One time when I was a kid my mother and I were driving the Grapevine in California (going over the mountains between the San Joaquin Valley and Los Angeles) and there were only two vehicles on the road, an old Ford and us. The Ford came up behind us, road our tail for a bit, then zipped around us and slammed on the brakes. We avoided an accident and the car moved on, but that driver was trying to provoke something. To this day I don't know what it was all about, it may have been someone trying to run a scam (claim we rear ended him for the insurance money) or some kids just screwing around. In any case, I am sure they were doing something deliberate.

My SO got a note on her windshield a week back saying "Asshole learn how to park!" She said when she pulled into the space there was a big truck on one side that was right on the line and she had to park close to the line on the other side of the space. If the parking lot had other spaces open, she would have parked there, but it was crowded. The person who left the note didn't understand the situation when she parked.

So yes, I do agree with you, I just thought of people who get superchargers ICEd and complain here. Some people have talked about doing property damage like slashing tires. I was just trying to add a little humor.

What would be funnier would be to see an 80 year old man with a cane pushing his wife in wheelchair to get in their Juke to find some cretin blocked their car with the shopping carts.

The old couple could not park in the handicap stalls because they were filled with athletic looking young people with blue placards or soccer moms with Lincoln Navigators who don't care if they get ticketed.

Wait. That happens enough that it would never become internet famous. Even when I was in a wheelchair myself after an MC crash, I did not use the blue stalls. I reserved them for people who need them after seeing too many people "double-park" (wrong term) to get wheelchair access.

Reactions: wesley888 and TES-E
McRat... I also share your feelings. My wife is in a wheelchair, and there is not enough room in a standard parking space to open the door wide enough for me to get her out (assuming car parked in the adjacent spot). If we cannot find an open HC spot, I will take two lanes, but I only do so as far away as possible from where everyone else parks to avoid the 'rage' issue. I also make sure that the handicapped placard is prominently displayed. No nasty notes yet...

I do NOT use HC parking if she is not with me.

There's sometimes a fine line between vigilante justice and communicating basic etiquette and social responsibility. I think, in the U.S., we've gained far too much of the former and lost too much of the latter.

I actually did find the cart corralling kind of funny btw, at least on the surface.

There's sometimes a fine line between vigilante justice and communicating basic etiquette and social responsibility. I think, in the U.S., we've gained far too much of the former and lost too much of the latter.

I actually did find the cart corralling kind of funny btw, at least on the surface.

I'm the same. On a surface level it's funny. Not so much as an actual practice.

What I find the most disturbing (and infuriating) are the people with EVs or PHEVs who park in charging stations spots...... and are not even charging. They KNOW they are preventing other people from being able to charge but simply don't care because of their desire for the convenient parking spot. Sociopathic wretches.

The Moda Center in Portland (where the Blazers and Winterhawks play) has a number of prime spots in the parking garage with EV chargers and they ticket ICEs parking there, but EVs park there and don't plug in and they ignore them. Unless I needed it, I plan to park my car in a regular spot next time I'm there. (I didn't have an EV last time I was there last winter.)

Slightly OT but speaking of snow and parking lots...
a local retailer has 5 or 6 parking spots in a row in rooftop lot marked for EV only (plus a bunch more in a lower level). They're not the closest spots to the store entrance, but that's fine by me, and luckily they're rarely ICE'd so I'm thankful I can always find a spot plus not worry about door dings. The spots only have 120V outlets, so useless to charge a Tesla while shopping, but the thought is appreciated nonetheless. However the EV spaces are also marked with signs saying "Snow Piling Area" - this is usually not a problem here as it typically doesn't snow much, except this year we have an usual amount of snow that's sticking around, so of course right now there's no way to park there. Oh well, maybe when EVs become more popular we'll not have to share parking spots with snow plow piles, but at least this is a start with most ICE seeming to respect the EV spots otherwise.