Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sincere effort from a hater to adapt to living in a world with Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh.... I forgot. Yes, some ev enthusiasts are as annoying as vegetarians, people in sects etc... I get it. We are not all like that though :D
As a person belonging to a "sect", and a vegetarian, and an EV driver who is still married to his wife at age 77, what's not to like? But I don't think we judge each other by those things. Sure, smart people tend to make smart decisions, and consequently tend to live longer, have fewer accidents, and feel happier, but as you put it, "we are not all like that" as if that's bad. It's not. Neither is driving a gas car. I do not believe gas cars will suddenly disappear, but will slowly fade away, as you put it, in 50 years or so, so the OP need not worry. I feel there will be gas cars and gas car manufacturers far into the future, but people will simply have to pay more to run them and maintain them. Gas cars do not make sense, and people who NEED a gas car because it makes noise and other pollution will fade away with them. I'll fade away before Bill does as I'm 20 years older, but we all know that EVs will slowly and surely replace gas cars, simply because they are cleaner, fill up in your garage, require hardly any maintenance, yet still are wicked fast and with Tesla, are gorgeous.

I understand you can get speakers and a recording of roar and rumble if you need them.

I am also vegetarian, so that is a “cult” that we share.

I see that you live in Angwin. Nice town. I used to fly there quite a bit when I lived in that area of California. Are you Adventist?

I agree with many of the advantages that you stated about electric cars. As for gorgeous, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

With the current political trends worldwide, especially in Europe and America, I am not so certain that I will be able to enjoy internal combustion cars for as long as you think, but perhaps. Either way, there are more important things in life, and I will survive even if I have to drive an electric car.

As I’ve mentioned, there are a couple of electric cars that I think I could be satisfied with. The Porsche, the Audi, and the Mercedes in particular. Perhaps the Lucid, although that’s a bit of a black box right now.

As far as beauty goes, I don’t find any of those particular cars gorgeous by any standards, but they are OK enough.

Another thing that I may have in common with Tesla drivers, and EV drivers in general, is that I have also been road raged against by diesel pick up trucks.

I am a avid bicyclist, and competitive in endurance cycling. Therefore I am out on the bicycle a lot, and I train in a rural area. Sometimes, rarely, diesel truck drivers will show aggression against me and my fellow cyclists by rolling coal on us, similar to what they may do to electric vehicle and Tesla owners.

I don’t know what fuels their hate against bicyclists, but I suspect that they figure that we are “tree hugging liberals“. Obviously nothing could be further from the truth in my case, but they have no way of knowing that.

I suspect that the contrapositive may apply to myself and Tesla drivers, so this is some thing I need to continue to bear in mind and grow from.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Off topic I know, but we had our first full blown run in with Tesla haters yesterday. In a parking lot, person tried to squeeze in next to us..on a 45 degree angle and about 3" away from the fender...I made the mistake of tapping our horn...then all hell broke loose. My wife says if we have another run in with nut cases, we should sell the car..oy

Off topic I know, but we had our first full blown run in with Tesla haters yesterday. In a parking lot, person tried to squeeze in next to us..on a 45 degree angle and about 3" away from the fender...I made the mistake of tapping our horn...then all hell broke loose. My wife says if we have another run in with nut cases, we should sell the car..oy

That sucks big time. So many assholes out there. I remember hearing similar stories when Toyota/Honda cars started showing up back in the day.

@FastDoc one thing that I wonder about: I assume you put a lot of value on individual freedoms, you've basically said as much here. Thinking back to your original opinions of Tesla drivers, before you tried to develop some empathy:

How does anyone driving a Tesla impact your freedom to drive anything you want to? No question, gas cars are here for a couple decades anyway. Isn't it exactly the same from anyone's perspective if they decide to drive/own what ever car they want to? I decide to own a Tesla. Fine. You're sticking with gas, fine.

Seems to me you had a double standard or something.

Not trying to open old wounds, and kudos to you for being open to learning here, but I can't understand your original position, or anyone hating on Teslas. If you don't see the point, then just don't drive one.

And the tax credit is a dumb excuse. Oil subsidies are several orders of magnitude more than all the support for all clean energy efforts.

It often reminds me of Apple in about 2001. “Computer guys” couldn’t stand that anyone could possibly be enthusiastic and proud of a candy-colored contraption when they knew that their PC box was superior on paper. How effing stupid could you be to buy an iMac?! Mind if I tell you how stupid and obnoxious you are for buying that thing that I just know is inferior. How could it possibly bring you joy?!

Oh, do I still hate Apple! ;) For me, what I originally loved about PCs is that you used to build and configure them yourself, but Apple came along with a "closed ecosystem" where everything is "better" but without "right to repair". Part of that is what rubbed me against Microsoft also, and I still don't voluntarily use neither Microsoft nor Apple products.

Tesla, however, instead of (just) tying our hands without giving right to repair, Tesla kicks the ball so hard out of the park, out of the box, I'm willing to look the other way. I've never been physically the Alpha male, but riding a Tesla, I am finally Lucky Luke and Tex Willer all-in-one. Let haters hate.

But yeah, Tesla is not perfect. Its software is written by people who can't drive (which is why Tesla can't and probably won't ever drive). They don't do right by right to repair, and they are, so far, a closed ecosystem. But as long as it strokes my ego and "just works", I'm willing to look the other way.

If another manufacturer made a better alternative with open ecosystem and better right to repair, I'd probably switch in a heartbeat, assuming quality and performance was the same or better.

Elon, has a condition, for better or worse, everyone to their own. He has the freedom to be who he is and proof is in the pudding so who am I to judge.

P.S. Subsidies go both ways, as the true cost of pollution is paid by our lungs and children and we don't even know what.

Reactions: OxBrew
So sorry to hear that. No one deserves that. No reason to sell the car of course.

There will always be hate. I suspect less and less however. As I have discovered maintain a high level of hate requires immense energy and is self depleting and a person has to seek better ways to use that energy. People habituate with time. When you say 'All hell broke loose was there violence? Were police or the 2nd Amendment involved?

That sucks big time. So many assholes out there. I remember hearing similar stories when Toyota/Honda cars started showing up back in the day.
Before Tesla it was a problem Prius drivers dealt with, I suppose for the same 'reasons'
@FastDoc one thing that I wonder about: I assume you put a lot of value on individual freedoms, you've basically said as much here. Thinking back to your original opinions of Tesla drivers, before you tried to develop some empathy:

How does anyone driving a Tesla impact your freedom to drive anything you want to? No question, gas cars are here for a couple decades anyway. Isn't it exactly the same from anyone's perspective if they decide to drive/own what ever car they want to? I decide to own a Tesla. Fine. You're sticking with gas, fine.

Seems to me you had a double standard or something.

Not trying to open old wounds, and kudos to you for being open to learning here, but I can't understand your original position, or anyone hating on Teslas. If you don't see the point, then just don't drive one.

And the tax credit is a dumb excuse. Oil subsidies are several orders of magnitude more than all the support for all clean energy efforts.
Thanks for taking the time to ask. I appreciated the interaction.

Some of it is irrational anger/fear.

I have patients who are highly educated, religious, successful and have excellent lives. Every now and then one has a condition I need to put them in an MRI and they freak out with claustrophobia. It's not a rational issue, and they may feel ashamed at the reaction but it is what it is.

Sometimes there is no apparent reason, sometimes it may relate to a prior trauma that may be unrecalled at present, but the aversion reaction is very real.

Some of my hate was (is, to a lesser degree) irrational, but as above, it is what it is. I remain vigilant about working my way around it, especially as I live in a wealthy area of a liberal state (WA) and Tesla sightings have become a daily occurrence. Even more so as I hope to move back to California to retire, and Teslas on the Central Coast are as common as seagulls. I HAVE to get past this.

With that said, there is a social/governmental plan to phase out regular cars, and getting us ICE people to pay for the conversion to EV's. Witness the 'stimulus plan'. I rent this greatly, but again it is what it is, I can't do anything about it and my hate improves nothing, and hurts me. I voted, but alas....

Reactions: CyberGus
I’m skeptical that EVs will be able to fulfill the new-car demand before the ICE-ban deadline, due to insufficient production capacity of battery cells. So if demand exceeds supply, the market will respond by upcycling used ICE vehicles.

3E7793AA-C905-4628-B5E5-A6CDE8E9B08E.jpeg

This photo is from modern-day Havana. The embargo meant no new cars, so old cars were repaired and preserved. I believe the same thing will happen in the EV transition, where classics are kept in good shape out of necessity.

So sorry to hear that. No one deserves that. No reason to sell the car of course.

There will always be hate. I suspect less and less however. As I have discovered maintain a high level of hate requires immense energy and is self depleting and a person has to seek better ways to use that energy. People habituate with time. When you say 'All hell broke loose was there violence? Were police or the 2nd Amendment involved?
All hell...The guy on the bike was trying to recruit people into the mix..yelling "these Tesla people are A.Holes, they don't own the road , the old lady kept hitting the window and flipping us off, a crowd gathered and I saw an opening to drive out of the parking lot so I took it, no one was hurt, just a lot of yelling and threats.

Well done on your part.

I could see that escalating to the point of violence pretty easily. In some situations, lethal force. Your action prevented all that.

I was road raged by a very angry male and female unit in a diesel Dodge while I was training on my bicycle in the nearby desert. Out near the middle of nowhere not bothering anyone. He yelled at me for being on the road, threw garbage at me and spit. He was incensed.

Getting a look at him I suspect he was no where a match for me physically, but in all likelihood he was armed. I held my peace and rode on, but never forgot the rage I had to contain.

Reactions: CyberGus
I am a long time muscle car owner/ gear head, a Tesla owner, and I work for a natural gas and power generation infrastructure company. My Model S purchase was really predicated on the fact that it was the cheapest way for me to acquire a ~750hp family sedan that isn't maddening to drive in city traffic. Electrification of the non-enthusiast section of the automotive space also supports my employer's current business model and their transition into carbon neutral products.

Frankly, now that I have driven a high HP electric car for the past few years I'm ruined for the traditional internal combustion torque curve. Tesla's mastery and vertical integration of their software stack also makes it tough to cope with what is currently offered from other makes. That's not to say that I don't lust after something like a Maserati MC20 or the like, but I will say that for a practical sedan, my Tesla checks a lot of boxes, for me at least.

Not sure the anti-Tesla thing is anything more than a modern take on the old Ford vs Chevy tribalism or selective shade thrown on affluent owner groups (looking at you BMW owners).

Reactions: Big Earl
Speaking for my self it's not a Ford vs Chevy or MB vs. BMW thing.

Its a unique phenomenon, unlike any animosity I've previously experienced and defies logic.

When Priuses came out I didn't like them (still don't much although I recognize they are very good cars) but I never felt anything visceral against them. The anti-Tesla thing for me, and I suspect many haters (a group I am extricating myself from) runs much deeper than that.

• Helpful
Reactions: GWord