Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A small observation of M3 design compared to iPace..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I saw two videos recently, I was disappointed with Jaguars design compared to model 3's.
Screen_Shot_2018_04_16_at_11_01_12.png

Screen_Shot_2018_04_16_at_11_01_33.png

Why do you think companies have such complexity and ugly bits like this under the bonnet?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but on the underside of the bonnet of the Jag, you can se the channel for air flow through the bonnet. This whole design steals some space from the "froot".
Another difference is placement of the internal charger. It is placed below the front windscreen in the Jag, but i presume in the rear of the Model 3, as in the S. Tesla seem to have a smarter technical design there.
When it comes to the plastic covering, I would worry more about what is beneath...

Yeah, your points are valid, I just found it interesting to see the stark difference.

If you have a relatively good storage area, you want to keep it fairly nice looking. Obviously Jaguar didn't bother with it.

The design and packaging is still showing some ICE-legacy buts it’s the best try from a “regular” automaker. If you remove those plastic covers you’ll see the motor at the bottom with the inverter stacked on top and the charger placed on top of the inverter. It all resembles an engine block when put together. Meanwhile Tesla puts the components wherever there’s room which leads to more passenger and storage space. Overall, I’m still impressed with the I-pace and I’m excited to see more car makers follow

The hinges on the Jag look like they're pedestrian strike pop-up at the rear.

Don't think my model S in North American market has that. Score Jag. Caveat: the older S is nothing but space under the hood so it would accommodate person falling onto it and deforming quite nicely. Maybe the newer AWD small frunk cars would benefit more from a pop up hood.

Also, I see quadruple latching as compared to my model S uni-latch...

One of these bonnets is going to stay put in more situations than the other: score Jag.

There are some advantages to being a car company with a legacy of experience.

Last edited:
Anybody know what Jag is trying to cool with all that hood duct work? Is there a radiator in front of the car or not?

I see the normal cabin fresh air intake under the cowl...
The hood ducting is probably not an elaborate way of getting more fresh air in there. I'd hope.

From here: https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-jaguar-i-pace-still-has-a-functional-fron-1824153568

"It’s easy to look at cars like the Tesla Model 3 and Nissan Leaf and assume that electric vehicles do not need an air intake like traditional internal combustion vehicles, but that’s not necessarily true. Cars like the Model 3 pill in air through holes in the bottom of the car for stuff like battery cooling.

But the Jaguar I-Pace clearly does something different. The first purpose of the functional grille at the front of the I-Pace is to, you guessed it, provide airflow to aide cooling the big 90 kWh battery. But it serves a second, even cooler purpose.

m0smj4bljgypsitsnui6.png

Jaguar designer Ian Callum cited the stillborn Jaguar C-X75 supercar concept in the design and functionality of the I-Pace. Not only are both vehicles loosely similar in their cab-forward layout, where the cabin in pushed farther towards the front axle, but the I-Pace also borrowed some aerodynamics.

The intake grille is actually segmented in half behind the cat badge and mesh, with the lower half directing air to cool the batteries, and the top half directing air through the front of the car, up and over the windscreen and down the back through a hole in the hood.

wiacqxnwudcuatuvzcw1.png

Jag even claims the directed airflow is powerful enough over the top of the car and down the rear window that there’s no need at all for a rear wiper blade. Evidently, water will just get blown away thanks to the directed airflow.

So there you have it, haters. The I-Pace’s grille isn’t just a lazy copy-paste design, nor a lie straight from the heart of Ian Callum. It’s fully functional, and vital to the aerodynamic profile of the car. Plus, it looks good!"

The hinges on the Jag look like they're pedestrian strike pop-up at the rear.

Don't think my model S in North American market has that. Score Jag. Caveat: the older S is nothing but space under the hood so it would accommodate person falling onto it and deforming quite nicely. Maybe the newer AWD small frunk cars would benefit more from a pop up hood.

Also, I see quadruple latching as compared to my model S uni-latch...

One of these bonnets is going to stay put in more situations than the other: score Jag.

There are some advantages to being a car company with a legacy of experience.

Your US Tesla doesn't have a pop-up hood in case of a crash? In Europe they have. Might be because of legislation, but I would have thought Tesla would have implemented it in the US as well.

Your US Tesla doesn't have a pop-up hood in case of a crash? In Europe they have. Might be because of legislation, but I would have thought Tesla would have implemented it in the US as well.

What does the pop-up hood do? Captures the hit pedestrian inside the frunk so you can drive away from the accident like nothing happened, and then dump the body when you're far away enough from the scene?

What does the pop-up hood do? Captures the hit pedestrian inside the frunk so you can drive away from the accident like nothing happened, and then dump the body when you're far away enough from the scene?
It lifts the bonnet near the windshield at bumper impact for a bigger clearance to harder structures underneath. Probably most important for ICE cars.