Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A used 2016 and above Model S or a new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
check out ev cpo for sold cars people have gotten refreshed model S 75 with 30k miles for $41k. this will have Ap1-2 free supercharging for life and a better warranty as well. 4/50k. to compare that you would need a model 3 with at least 260 range plus Ap3 and upgraded rims..looking at $50k+ ymmv
I've been looking on ev cpo almost everyday for a used Model S. Of course I want the newer front end but it cost so much more then the the older ones. Even with the different options and mileage of course. Guess I will keep looking.

I purchased my AP2 11/16 (refreshed) build MS75 for $49,300 (CPO) back in October 2018. 18600 miles at the time. With EAP (At least when I bought all CPO received EAP). And it was a super clean car. It did need tires when I picked it up.

wow. in PHX too? Great price. I'm only seeing 55K++ now. I have to make a decision quick since my SR+ is ready for delivery

faciasNew.png
couple of tips:

1. There is lag between EV CPO and tesla.com....I have found cars on tesla.com that show up a few hours later on evcpo.
2. You have to keep checking multiple times a day...the best cars go very fast
3. Tesla advisors are almost useless...as is the tesla website, you have to be agressive in your search

To prove the point here are a ton of cars under $45k that have the refreshed facia..some even with dual motors.

View attachment 386203 couple of tips:

1. There is lag between EV CPO and tesla.com....I have found cars on tesla.com that show up a few hours later on evcpo.
3. Tesla advisors are almost useless...as is the tesla website, you have to be agressive in your search

To prove the point here are a ton of cars under $45k that have the refreshed facia..some even with dual motors.
Refreshed perhaps, but AP1. Oct. 2016 builds were the first to have refresh and AP2.

View attachment 386203 couple of tips:

True but the list is much shorter if you're wanting AP2 and the starting price goes up 14K or so.

I too was facing the same decision, MS or M3. there was a local dealer who had a MS2015 and a M3 2018 for sale on their lot. Wife and I stopped by, told the sales man we just wanted to do a side by side comparison and he was happy to move them next to each other to see what I knew that he didn't (it was an Infinity lot so you can guess who new more). I had test drove several MS's and even 1 M3 at that point but side by side with the wife was really amazing.

MS has XM in Ultra High fidelity sound
M3 has nice sound but No XM

MS has a bigger and better trunk
M3 is not a hatch back so smaller trunk really is smaller

MS has a bigger back seat
M3 really feels smaller in back seat

MS has more leg and hip room.
M3 see above

MS has opening Moon roof.
M3 No Moon Roof

MS pre 2017 has free super charger
M3 Pay per use super charging

MS has bigger Front trunk
M3 Front trunk is only slightly smaller

MS has bigger touch screen
M3 touch screen is rumored to be faster, but Wife didn't like how it sites out like a iPad attached to the car

MS has a instrument cluster
M3 touch screen is everything (easy to get use to but could be confusing at first)

With the side by side, the super charging, the size of the trunks and this becoming our primary driver even for big trips, we chose the MS and ordered a 2016 out of Las Vegas and should get a delivery date soon.
Hope this helped or at lease gave you some ideas.
For SIRIUS XM I have a streaming subscription for a year at 6 bucks a month. I have Verizon unlimited data as well. The sound on my Model 3 with the premium sound system is very good. I only get drop outs at places where I know my cell signal is bad.

there is not a whole lot of difference and AP2 won’t get you FSD. But getting an AP2 cars would likely not get SC for life. You have to figure out what is your main driver, is it cost, SC, or AP, dual motors, speed, or range.
I have SC for life, and I plunked down the 2K to add FSD to my AP2.0 just this week like all the other AP2.5 cars out there. Yes, the car isn't dual motor and is a 75, which is okay with me. Personally I thought I got a steal, and maybe I did.

I wanted to add a Tesla for a commuter car in LA. I test drove a model 3 dual motor and loved the way it drove, the smaller size and the steering feel.

But ultimately, I didn't love it more than the S with the dual screens and the air suspension. So I bought a used Model S 85. Depreciation on these Teslas is almost as bad (or good if you are in the market for used) as Mercedes in Los Angeles.

Couldn't be happier, but interested to see if the model Y offers anything that would have changed my mind if it was availble at the time.

Reliabilty is my main concern.

1. Model S battery is prone to catch fire in a bad accident, in which case it can be difficult to open the doors from outside. M3 seems to have neither of those problems.

2. Model S front suspension steering arms are prone to snap off. Unresolved.

3. Model S front air suspension makes rattling noise at low speeds. Unresolved.

4. Model S AWD tends to develop shudder in front on high-acceleration launch after 30,000 miles, due to wear on half-arms.

All amply documented on this forum, use search function.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
1. Model S battery is prone to catch fire in a bad accident, in which case it can be difficult to open the doors from outside. M3 seems to have neither of those problems.

2. Model S front suspension steering arms are prone to snap off. Unresolved.

3. Model S front air suspension makes rattling noise at low speeds. Unresolved.

4. Model S AWD tends to develop shudder in front on high-acceleration launch after 30,000 miles, due to wear on half-arms.

All amply documented on this forum, use search function.
Yet it was the 3 that Consumer Reports dinged for reliability not the S. Just saying.

I think the premise of this thread is actually a bit nonsensical. What is being asked is similar to the following:
1. Should I buy a new 3 series or a used m5
2. Should I buy a used jeep or a rav4

Its apples and oranges. M3 is good for being a smaller more nimble car, if you have a small family or are single, it makes a lot of sense. Older people tend to not want to drive sub-compact cars...they want something more substantive. Either way you cant go wrong. I will say even if you buy a P3d for $60k+ when a model S pulls up besides you, it is the more substantive car, and turns more heads even if it is older.