Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A used 2016 and above Model S or a new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok here's our dilemma here. We were thinking of either buying a used 2016 and newer Model S 75D or a brand new Model 3 dual motor. Prices will be similar when everything is done and calculated.

Now my question is if we were to go for the Model S is it better to buy it through Tesla for the warranty extension or to buy it from a independent dealer. I found a couple of 2016 and above Model S with great deals and low mileage from independent shops. But if I was to do that then the warranty will be up in a year or 2. Any good aftermarket warranty companies that deal with Tesla? Also how are the 2016 and up Model S models. How is the reliability. Any electrical problems or motor problems. I'm just concern as this will be the first Tesla me and my wife will try to own. Also something I need to think about as Consumer Reports always rate the reliability of Tesla on the bottom of the chain.

Or.... forget all of this and just go straight for a brand new Model 3 with the warranty and the first owner to touch the car.

Ahh this is nerve wrecking lol!!!

Just posted this in another thread..

IMO, now that I've rented a Model 3 over the past weekend, Model 3 is hands down far superior to Model S.

The only advantage of the Model S is the rear seat space and trunk. The Model 3 trunk is terrible.

From a driving/functionality experience, the 3 is worlds better than an S. The cockpit is better IMO, the vents are way better, the interface is faster, the storage is better, I found the audio to be better too. It charges faster, is cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to charge at home.

Deciding between a Model S (used for 60K) and a new Model 3 is a no-brainer for me. Hands down Model 3 all the way. Much more refined and much better car. I wouldn't pay 60K for a 2012 design car (Model S) that handles like a barge and desperately needs a refresh.

...forget all of this and just go straight for a brand new Model 3 with the warranty and the first owner to touch the car...

You said it!

For peace of mind, get the safety net in case something goes wrong as a first time Tesla owner.

Too many variables if you buy a used one.

There's nothing wrong with buying a used one as long as you know how to deal with those concerns that you voiced.

Last edited:
The M3 is a better buy than the 2016 MS in my opinion. If you intend to use EAP, the 3 has a faster chip and EAP performs better. Also, it appears that the 3 is ready for supercharger V3 and May get a speed bump soon. We might get more details this week. However, if those two aspects were equal I would choose the S.

I test drove both and ended up with a used model S performance. Everyone has their own opinions, but for me the S felt more refined and substantial when driving. Not to take anything away from the 3, both were great.

I actually thought the opposite as some here. The 3 is a new design and probably still has some kinks to work out while the S has been through many refinements

I was concerned about AP1 vs AP3 or AP2.5, but with the recent FSD announcements, I’m not too concerned with NOA or even city driving.

I also got a $125K car for $40K, so at least I feel like I got a deal. Lol

Last edited:
Ok here's our dilemma here. We were thinking of either buying a used 2016 and newer Model S 75D or a brand new Model 3 dual motor. Prices will be similar when everything is done and calculated.

Now my question is if we were to go for the Model S is it better to buy it through Tesla for the warranty extension or to buy it from a independent dealer. I found a couple of 2016 and above Model S with great deals and low mileage from independent shops. But if I was to do that then the warranty will be up in a year or 2. Any good aftermarket warranty companies that deal with Tesla? Also how are the 2016 and up Model S models. How is the reliability. Any electrical problems or motor problems. I'm just concern as this will be the first Tesla me and my wife will try to own. Also something I need to think about as Consumer Reports always rate the reliability of Tesla on the bottom of the chain.

Or.... forget all of this and just go straight for a brand new Model 3 with the warranty and the first owner to touch the car.

Ahh this is nerve wrecking lol!!!
I went through the same process S or 3?
After a side by side comparison and driving both I went S. Why? S seemed to fit me better. I've pretty much always had full size instead of intermediate size cars. So, there's that and the 3 interior struck me as a little too minimalist for my taste. I don't think it's something someone else can pick for you. Kinda like letting them pick your life your wife for you. Go with your gut.

Reactions: Gerk and TK16688
Another thought to consider if the timing works is the model Y.

Obviously, it's still an unknown, and even once it's officially announced, delivery will still be years away, but it may be worth keeping an eye on it to see what other options Tesla can offer.

I am going through the same debate - used S or new M3. I mostly want the car for long distance highway cruising. Have not driven either car. Have thought all along the S would be better for highway quietness and air suspension. But the new/updated technology/battery of the M3 sure is tempting.

How is the M3 on fast highway drives? Road noise? Overall comfort/ride? Thx

Model 3 is overall a much more usable car on highway. More efficient so you can go longer without recharging and faster compared to all the model s except the 100kwh lack, but even that one recovers miles about the same because it is a heavier car. As for ride comfort, I can say but my test drive was pretty good. And assuming nice roads, they can be all that different. Road noise is more a function of the tires.

I'm in, or was in the same boat as you. As a single guy, hoping one day to have a family, I went for a used S. I actually have pickup arranged for Thursday! I've test driven both the 3 and the S. Tesla even let me do an overnight "test drive" and bring the S home. Having driven both, I do give the ups on the 3 as far as driving dynamics and feeling more sporty. But like I stated before, I do one day in the future wish to have a family, and I plan on keeping this car for a veryyy very long time. So extra space was a forethought for me. The 3 in my mind did not have that much space as compared to the S. The FSD (full self drive) was not too much of a concern for me. I preferred more for the highway usage so AP1 is more than enough for me. It is more of a luxury vehicle feeling for me than the 3 would be. Also, I did not enjoy the ultra simplicity of the 3 with everything controlled on the middle screen. I liked having a dash in front of me and the 17' screen in the middle. In my opinion, if you're going for newest/latest greatest as far as technology, then go for the 3. If going for comfort and cargo space, then a used S might not be a bad option. I got mine for 45k and although I don't get the fed/state tax credits, I do get Edison's $1000 rebate. So still a win in my eyes, and hey, you're still in a Tesla either way!

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Me and my wife test drove the Model 3 twice already and we love it. Still gotta try the Model S. It’s the old vs new.

Is it even worth looking into the 2015 and older Model S in terms of reliability and batteries? Reliabilty is my main concern.

If you buy the used S from Tesla, you will get same warranty as the brand-new M3: 4year/50k miles. I test drove M3 after owning MS. MS is quieter and smoother, feeling more of a luxury car. And the look of the MS is much better than M3.
FSD in the future is nice, but I don't see myself using it a lot. It's more of a showing off feature to friends. AP1 is adequate for highway cruising to help with daily commute and long distance trips.

Reactions: Gerk
If you buy the used S from Tesla, you will get same warranty as the brand-new M3: 4year/50k miles. I test drove M3 after owning MS. MS is quieter and smoother, feeling more of a luxury car. And the look of the MS is much better than M3.
FSD in the future is nice, but I don't see myself using it a lot. It's more of a showing off feature to friends. AP1 is adequate for highway cruising to help with daily commute and long distance trips.
The S has the 8 year unlimited mile battery warranty while the 3 offers the same 8 years, but caps at 100,000 or 120,000 miles. If you rack up miles, the S is better for that. (It doesn’t matter for me, it will take me 15 years to hit 120k on my S)

I recently went through the same dilemma and as others in this thread I went with the Model S for much the same reasons as everyone else says, but i also think that they Model S will hold its value better as the market is about the be absolutely flooded with Model 3's of various configurations. When I drove both the model 3 felt very stripped down to me. If you're all about driving dynamics then maybe a Model 3 is the winner there, but for everything else for me it was the S hands down. I bought a 2015 70D so time will tell in terms of reliability I suppose, but having owned other full sized luxury sedans I'm very happy with this purchase for my needs.

Again thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will have to go out to Tesla and take a look at the used S they have out there.

Is it even worth to look at the Model S from the independent dealer knowing the warranty will be up soon or already done for. Any good aftermarket warranty for the Model S.

Is it even worth to look at the Model S from the independent dealer knowing the warranty

No way, don't do it.

Find one either private seller and get that person to upgrade the warranty you pay for upfront. Its transferable. That way I think you could get up to 6 years. Remaining years factory and bumper to bumper and the additional 2-4 depending on what you decide.

Or just go to Tesla for 4 year only. Problem with Tesla, you really never get to see the car these days unless its right in front of you where you are. Even then, I hear you cannot drive it till you own it.

The last point I would argue before I took possession. I did it with a new showroom car they transferred. Went on a 1 hour test ride and put it through the ringer. It had 50 miles or less on it. It was new, but it had been moved around a bit.

I would rather lose my 2500 at that time, then take a car that wobbles down the road for the next however many years. Even then, I'm pretty sure they transfer your deposit to next car. Thats debatable. Its required to negotiate these things as you go along with them.

Then you gotta ask yourself other things like does the car have free supercharging for life of the car? If that's important. Perhaps other things.

IS FSD really important to you? Everyone is complaining they paid for something that is depreciating and its not be engaged yet fully.

I drive AP-1 car 75D. I travel in it and arrive empty as possible/sane. Charge quick and get moving again. Large batteries hamper that action, thinking you have to get it full, full. Most of driving and even trips 160-180 miles is very good, 20-30 mins. charge and your back in action. Totally reverse of how we all started this little journey with anxiety levels to choke a horse. I leave anticipating my first charge early, not full and later.

SO look closely at what your buying and get the best car, with the best warranty and go for what this is really all about. Driving Electric and skip the noise. There is a lot of it these days in the Tesla world.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Again thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will have to go out to Tesla and take a look at the used S they have out there.

Is it even worth to look at the Model S from the independent dealer knowing the warranty will be up soon or already done for. Any good aftermarket warranty for the Model S.

I bought from a 3rd party but that might not be for everyone. I tried multiple times to buy a CPO from Tesla and it just never worked out. The first couple of times I couldn't even get a response, the third time I ended up with someone so snotty and abusive on the other end of the phone that I hung up on them because when I asked if it was possible to see/drive the car before I purchased they spent a bunch of time berating me because I "apparently haven't read anything about the process online like I should have before wasting their time" (paraphrased, but something like that). I never managed to even receive pics of the cars I was interested in ... it was a pretty horrible experience.

I may come to regret it, but I still have half a year of warranty left on mine and hoping to get most of the kinks worked out before it runs out. I still have 4.5 more years of unlimited motor and battery warranty though as well ... I did manage to get the Tesla SC person to pull up the service record for the car I bought and it was pretty clean. Had 3 out of 4 door handles replaced already and other than that had never had any major issues.

My advice, with EVs, is get the most range you can afford. Don't underestimate that extra 100 miles of range on the M3 LR vs a 75. Keep in mind that things like hills, bad weather, using AC/heat all eat into your range considerably. If you live in a cooler climate, then you can easily get 25% range loss just because of the cold weather.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tanquen